A question for all religion

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
I just have this to say: What happened to all those people who founded all the different types of religion? They are lying in the ground, dead. There is irrefutable proof that Jesus came back from the dead. Look at the Dead Sea scrolls that were discovered about 50 years ago. They provide proof that the Bible is true. The way I see it is that people don't like the idea of a judging God, therefore they come up with all these different religions that they can hide themselves in. Christianity is not a religion; it's a faith and a relationship with God.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
My personal philosophy "The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." Also "We are still masters of our fate.We are still captains of our souls."

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Religion: atheist (lack thereof, I suppose)

Philosophy: Life sucks, then you die.

EDIT: Better philosophy: Do what you can for the betterment of others, especially when they ask for it.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
On topic of religion: Philosophy is chock full of questions that may never be answered, and religion is chock full of answers that may never be questioned.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
oktalist said:
I believe in the philosophy of Bill Hicks:

'The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think that it's real, because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly coloured, and it's very loud and it's fun for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us. They say "Hey! Don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride." And we... kill those people. Ha ha ha. "Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride. Shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and family. This just has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter because it's just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourselves off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one. Here's what you can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money that we spend on weapons and defense each year and instead spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, for ever, in peace.'

'We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death; life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves.'

Also the anthropic principle [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle]. And science in general. The universe is awesome, fantastic, beautiful. It is fascinating to search for the true reasons behind that rather than inventing a make-believe unknowable man who just created it all, which offers no real understanding whatsoever, just the illusion of meaning.

This. :)

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
For those of you who say "just live life than you die", what do you think will happen afterdeath? Will there ever be an end to everything? And about how everything was made? How do you think the world was made? I'm just interested in what everyone thinks.

slxiii

Sep 17, 2008
cuddly_tomato said:
They aren't atheists. Those are internet trolls and theophobes. At the moment, theophobia and religious bigotry isn't frowned upon in the same way as racism or homophobia, so it is "cool" to hate on religion in the same way it was "cool" to hate gays when I was a kid and "cool" to hate black people when my dad was a kid. It'll stop eventually, but you shouldn't really bunch atheists in with those idiots. Most atheists are happy to accept religion in other people and are mature enough to understand that one cannot blame religion for every little bad thing ever.
Sadly, the trolls call themselves atheists, and that would definitely punch holes in a respectful conversation the same way muslim extremists make islam look bad.

I have only met two atheists in real life, one was a real life troll, and the other thought she was a wiccan...

irishstormtrooper

Mar 19, 2009
Gerazzi said:
I know a thread was already created like this, but I'm not interested in trolling, I'd much rather hear people's philosophy on things.

My personal philosophy has been not to trust anyone about anything because it
keeps
screwing
me
over
But I suppose that's not really wise, is it?

anyways, what's your philosophy, and do you believe in some kind of god(s)?
Actually it is plenty wise. You are a cynic (at least in this way), and there's nothing wrong with it.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
My philosophy...........Science......Science explains it all..............And if it cant...........It explains why it cant.

ZorroFonzarelli

Jan 5, 2009
Compatriot Block said:
I am technically Christian, but instead of following the letter of the "law", I prefer to follow the overlying guidelines. I believe in things that science can prove, i.e. evolution. My philosophy is being an overall good person, and I honestly don't care if people disagree with my beliefs as long as we can respect what we each choose to believe. So, I just try to be a respectful person to everyone, regardless of beliefs or what they think of my own. Sometimes I wish everyone acted like that all the time, myself included.
I am with you there, Compatriot Block. I am a proud Christian, but I believe that our Marketing department really has a tendency to be counter-productive.

My primary philosophy is to advocate that everyone honestly allow for the possibility that God exists, etc. In my book, that's what works, but everyone has their own book...

thomasronan

Mar 26, 2009
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Just to make things simpler I've devised a template:

Template said:
I [believe/think] that: [insert 'true' belief (or lack there of) here]

If you disagree with me you are [wrong/close minded]

[hyperbole]

[inaccurate quoting of a historical event or statement]

[implicit insult or stab at another forum member]

[reaffirming oneself to be right and completely disregarding the other camps ideas/beliefs/feelings/being]
If everyone just sticks to this then this should go quite smoothly... oh wait... wow... I guess I was ninja'd

Mar 9, 2009
I do believe there is a god, but I believe he/she/it isn't there anymore. And I believe that he/she/it doesn't really require us to pray/believe in him/her/it. It's more about what you do with your beliefs then what you actually believe. I also think that there is no real contradiction between religion and science, and that one can be deeply scientific and deeply religious at the same time.