A Question for all you Global Warming skeptics

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Whether or not you believe humans can influence climate (which we have)

you cannot deny the fact that our lifestyle is not sustainable. Greener methods for fuel and more efficient recycling of waste needs to be at the forefront of discussion.

Murray Whitwell

Apr 7, 2010
I see the argument against global warming's existence are pretty pointless. Regardless of whether or not carbon emissions are heating up the planet, we're still burning a limited resource. We're already responsible for too much destruction of this planet, so what gives us the right to extinct a mineral that has taken millions of years to form?

mrF00bar

Mar 17, 2009
I have seen a lot of different opinions on global warming, to be honest I trust the independent scientist more then government funded scientists because their opinion varies greatly sometimes. One particular theory, which I think is most likely, we are in a cycle, the planet is going to heat up and get colder. By pumping all the gases into the atmosphere we have slowed down the process but now instead of it being a gentle change from hot to cold it will be very sudden. If they are right anyway.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Ugh. Hasn't anybody here seen Al Gore's presentation?
It's direct and obvious proof that global warming is a HUGE problem that is DEFINITELY cause by humans. Go and look it up and stop whining.

Purple Shrimp

Oct 7, 2008
The global-warming skeptics would be against anti-global-warming measures simply because they feel that these methods are an expenditure of money to combat something that isn't real. I don't agree with them, but it's pretty easy to answer your question if you think about it

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
WE NEED TO CLONE MAMMOTHS

They will be the cows during the next ice age!!!

I am sorta joking/sorta serious.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
PoisonUnagi said:
It's direct and obvious proof that global warming is a HUGE problem that is DEFINITELY cause by humans. Go and look it up and stop whining.
Since when where politicians scientists? People treat it like its the freakin Bible, its not. The earth has been and always will be changing at a constant rate. To think that we, the product of evolution could actually harm the planet is ignorance of the highest degree. The earth will be around and changing long after we nuke ourselves because we couldn't agree on anything.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
"Global warming" is not something I worry about. (On a related note, we've had our coldest and snowiest winters in decades in Sweden these last two years.) Climate is not constant. Not even the supposed cycles are entirely consistent.

But there are many, many other reasons to cut back on fossil fuel usage, deforestation and many other of our non-sustainable contributions to this planet.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Tomo Stryker said:
PoisonUnagi said:
Since when where politicians scientists? People treat it like its the freakin Bible, its not. The earth has been and always will be changing at a constant rate. To think that we, the product of evolution could actually harm the planet is ignorance of the highest degree. The earth will be around and changing long after we nuke ourselves because we couldn't agree on anything.
Well, you're just going to have to eat those words when we create our first Planet Smasher. =P

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Tomo Stryker said:
PoisonUnagi said:
It's actually pretty ignorant of you to think we can't. Just because this planet was here first doesn't man we're not able to seriously fuck it over.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
PoisonUnagi said:
Tomo Stryker said:
PoisonUnagi said:
It's actually pretty ignorant of you to think we can't. Just because this planet was here first doesn't man we're not able to seriously fuck it over.
I'm not saying we can't screw this planet over, hell we could make is space crumbs if we really tried. All I'm saying is that nature is infamous for balancing itself out. Its like a forest fire, oh sure the fire burnt down a glorious forest. But that doesn't mean things won't regrow on it.

Note: I really don't want to get into this conversation, but if we keep this civil then I don't have a problem. Seen to many people on this thread turn into an insult war.

Note: Fucking Spell Check

Note: Wow, I really need to reread my stuff today. I'm spelling like four year old.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
It doesn't matter whether or not we are having an impact, those with the power to stop it won't.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
Rosetta said:
There have been 6 major extinctions wherein the majority of the Earth's life died that we humans know of. All of them happened before we were here and all of them happened due to massive climate change. The ice age was the most recent.

Humans do not affect the climate.

The Earth will cool and warm long, long after we go extinct and the cycle of life and death will be unaffected.

The hippies are wrong. The science is right.
yeah ok so climates change naturally. but in my oppinion humans are accelerating the climate change.

even if it is a natural change shouldnt we try our hardest to stop it. from your quote you are agreeing climate change leads to mass extinctions. so why not try to stop this natural climate change that is happening right now so that things dont become extinct, us included.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Merkavar said:
But in my oppinion humans are accelerating the climate change
Oh good, I was worried for a sec that you were going to use facts instead of opinions. Sorry bout that, it just poked out to me that you used your opinion instead of facts. Nothing personal mate.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Rosetta said:
There have been 6 major extinctions wherein the majority of the Earth's life died that we humans know of. All of them happened before we were here and all of them happened due to massive climate change. The ice age was the most recent.

Humans do not affect the climate.

The Earth will cool and warm long, long after we go extinct and the cycle of life and death will be unaffected.

The hippies are wrong. The science is right.
That doesn't mean we can't from adversely affecting the enviroment. For example, the extintion of animals is completely natural due to natural selection, but so have we as a result of not knowing any better or just not caring what happens to the enviroment, such as, deforestation

Jul 5, 2009
bdcjacko said:
Here is Kansas City it has been on the coldest, snowiest years for like 3 years in a row. It sure is cold for Global Warming. Then I'm told Global Warming isn't the correct term, it should be called Climate Change. K, the have scientifically proved the climate has been changing for billions of years before man. Big deal.
Acctually it's possible you could be getting more rain/snow whatever, that still kind of points to global warming. If your area is suddenly getting huge increases in rain/snow there is probably somewhere that is lossing huge amounts of rain.
Everything has an equal and opposite reaction.

Deepzound

Oct 20, 2010
TheTutonicDrone said:
Deepzound said:
I find it hilarious reading all these nay-sayers' replies in this thread, basically talking like they're experts on the subject and none of them presenting any evidence for their claims.

If you are actually interested in learning about global warming, I recommend going to Skeptical science [http://www.skepticalscience.com/] and checking out some of the facts like 97% of climatologists say global warming is occurring and caused by humans [http://news.mongabay.com/2009/0122-climate.html].

Also worth checking out is a little documentary called The Denial Machine [http://documentaryheaven.com/the-denial-machine/] to learn where a lot of the propaganda regarding climate skepticism is coming from.
First I would like to say that the science of climates, if it can even be called that, is not like normal science. The side that believe in man-made Global Warming have no more proof than the scientists who don't. There is no control version of the earth with no humans on it we can look at and say: Hey that earth isn't heating up! I guess its humans that are causing this.

Second I would like to point out that the poll you linked was answered by 30% of the climatologists they contacted. 97% of which did as you say respond in the positive concerning the question are humans a significant factor. I don't feel any scientist would ever say humans aren't a large factor. There are a whole lot of us. The poll did not ask if burning fossil fuel is a large factor.
Polls aren't science. If we took a poll a thousand years ago about what stars are we would not get the right answer.

Finally you wanted supporting documents here you go. This is a link to a climatologist's report to the senate: http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Files.View&FileStore_id=e12b56cb-4c7b-4c21-bd4a-7afbc4ee72f3
I can link more but I figure you won't bother reading it so there is no point. Ask me and I will though. There is plenty of other research information from this side. The mass media just isn't spoon feeding it to everyone.

Edit:
I would also like to add that another reason this information isn't out there is the amount of donations to climatologist's research has increased drastically since this first started. Many scientists try and keep their findings quiet because as soon as people find out donations will go way down.
And while we're on the topic of actual consensus, let's not try to focus on single scientists? Especially ones cherry picked by the likes of the Heartland institute as speakers for their "climate discussions", or featured in the thoroughly debunked "The great global warming swindle" documentary [http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Roy_Spencer]. (For anyone interested in reading about the Heartland institute [http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Heartland_Institute])

A funny little quote regarding Roy's data [http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2008/05/how-to-cook-a-graph-in-three-easy-lessons/]:

Sourcewatch said:
Spencer and colleague John Christy "published a series of papers starting about 1990 that implied the troposphere was warming at a much slower rate than the surface temperature record and climate models indicated..."; but the discrepancy turned out to be an artifact of their having applied incorrect adjustments to their UAH satellite temperature record data. As Ray Pierrehumbert at RealClimate [http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2008/05/how-to-cook-a-graph-in-three-easy-lessons/] put it:

"Spencer and Christy sat by for most of a decade allowing ? indeed encouraging ? the use of their data set as an icon for global warming skeptics. They committed serial errors in the data analysis, but insisted they were right and models and thermometers were wrong. They did little or nothing to root out possible sources of errors, and left it to others to clean up the mess, as has now been done"
For a more thorough reading of whether or not there is a consensus, I direct you here [http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php?p=7&t=350&&a=17].

TheTutonicDrone said:
The poll did not ask if burning fossil fuel is a large factor.
Polls aren't science. If we took a poll a thousand years ago about what stars are we would not get the right answer.
Besides your (laughable) attempts at trivializing the sum of human knowledge at this point in time (I mean really, a poll among medieval people regarding the stars compared to a poll among climate scientists regarding the climate), I'd like for you to expand on what else besides the burning of fossil fuel the "human factor" could be?

Also, for the edited part of your post - please substantiate your claims, or you won't get taken seriously.

ravensheart18 said:
You know what is funny about the link you gave? The document behind it doesn't support what you are saying. You've fudged which numbers mean what.
I'm guessing you didn't read the link, but that's ok, here's a more thorough look at the consensus of global warming [http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php?p=7&t=350&&a=17].

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Death_Korps_Kommissar said:
bdcjacko said:
Here is Kansas City it has been on the coldest, snowiest years for like 3 years in a row. It sure is cold for Global Warming. Then I'm told Global Warming isn't the correct term, it should be called Climate Change. K, the have scientifically proved the climate has been changing for billions of years before man. Big deal.
Acctually it's possible you could be getting more rain/snow whatever, that still kind of points to global warming. If your area is suddenly getting huge increases in rain/snow there is probably somewhere that is lossing huge amounts of rain.
Everything has an equal and opposite reaction.
The laws of physics do not apply to weather or anything besides physics. Huge pet peeve.