A Question for all you Global Warming skeptics

cantgetaname

Mar 16, 2011
Blemontea said:
Live where i live and then tell me that global warming is happening. See what ive seen then tell me its happening. But just because i dont believe global warming is happening doesn't mean ill do what i can to help the environment because their are worse things that can happen if we let the world go to shit. Like an ICE AGE which news reports also saying were going into. This to is false but science has smacked me around saying the world gets colder the more its polluted more than it gets hotter.
How I understand it:
Rise in global temperatures = melting icecaps and less snow (taht means not as much light is reflected back into space because we all know that white reflects light)= less sun reflecting into space = more light (thus heat) on Earth = more water evaporation = more clouds (clouds are white)= A LOT more light being reflected into space (less light, colder Earth) = Ice Age. And when the clouds finally turn in precipitation (most likely snow) there are HUGE parts of the world that are white.

TheTutonicDrone

Apr 9, 2011
Deepzound said:
I find it hilarious reading all these nay-sayers' replies in this thread, basically talking like they're experts on the subject and none of them presenting any evidence for their claims.

If you are actually interested in learning about global warming, I recommend going to Skeptical science [http://www.skepticalscience.com/] and checking out some of the facts like 97% of climatologists say global warming is occurring and caused by humans [http://news.mongabay.com/2009/0122-climate.html].

Also worth checking out is a little documentary called The Denial Machine [http://documentaryheaven.com/the-denial-machine/] to learn where a lot of the propaganda regarding climate skepticism is coming from.
First I would like to say that the science of climates, if it can even be called that, is not like normal science. The side that believe in man-made Global Warming have no more proof than the scientists who don't. There is no control version of the earth with no humans on it we can look at and say: Hey that earth isn't heating up! I guess its humans that are causing this.

Second I would like to point out that the poll you linked was answered by 30% of the climatologists they contacted. 97% of which did as you say respond in the positive concerning the question are humans a significant factor. I don't feel any scientist would ever say humans aren't a large factor. There are a whole lot of us. The poll did not ask if burning fossil fuel is a large factor.
Polls aren't science. If we took a poll a thousand years ago about what stars are we would not get the right answer.

Finally you wanted supporting documents here you go. This is a link to a climatologist's report to the senate: http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Files.View&FileStore_id=e12b56cb-4c7b-4c21-bd4a-7afbc4ee72f3
I can link more but I figure you won't bother reading it so there is no point. Ask me and I will though. There is plenty of other research information from this side. The mass media just isn't spoon feeding it to everyone.

Edit:
I would also like to add that another reason this information isn't out there is the amount of donations to climatologist's research has increased drastically since this first started. Many scientists try and keep their findings quiet because as soon as people find out donations will go way down.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
spartan231490 said:
Global warming is obvious to anyone with eyes.
Yeah, no, it's not. Anyone with eyes can see it's normal. Earth will always change regardless of what we do. Scientists theorize that Earth's North and South pole were switched millions of years ago, maybe more. Did man cause that? No. Earth does whatever the hell it wants, we can't remove nor add anything to the planet, as all the atoms are already there, unless we start launching things into space.

As for the thread. Sure, taking care of the environment is good. Hell, I just did an hour and a half of cleaning up the streets with my Air Force JROTC Wing today. But there's one big reason why many companies refuse to "change," and no matter how many people complain or cry, it won't change because of one simple constant that ruins everything:

Greed.

Why spend money adding recycling plants, buying special and expensive recyclable materials when the other is far cheaper and a higher annual profit? There is no reason to. People need to "simm'er down now" and relax.

cantgetaname

Mar 16, 2011
Mimsofthedawg said:
TheRealCJ said:
Okay, so first of all: I think global warming is absolutely happening. But I also respect those who have a strong opinion contrary to mine (Well, those who aren't arses about it anyway).

But my question is thus: You may not believe it's truly happening, but why are you so against preventative measures to stop it happening in the future? Surely you'd agree that to stop it from happening 100 years from now, which is entirely plausible, there should be some preventative measures taken now.

I've got people here in Australia, prominent people, people in Government, saying things along the lines of "Global Warming has not been proven as fact, so just keep right on doing exactly what you're doing now, because it's not causing immediate and noticeable damage."

That seems unnecessarily reckless to me. After all, doesn't the old idiom read "A stitch in time saves nine"?

EDIT: I feel that people are taking "global warming" point slightly too literally. I'm also talking about pollution in general. But that doesn't have as many obsessive back-and-forthers.
the problem is two fold: first of all, I'm all for the transition, but not at the cost of economic growth and freedom. Second of all, people don't understand how complicated it is. To be honest, the strives we've made are astronomical in last 40 years. However, to really make a difference you'd have to undo the last 150 years of human history... EVERYTHING we do is based on oil; and not just transportation. Plastics, fundamental chemistry, fertilizers, preservatives, alloys, carbon based substances, etc. are all based chemically on oil. What's worse is that there is no alternative besides oil to produce the majority of things created from oil. So you can blabber all you want about getting off of "needing oil", but if you really want that, than you're gonna have to take us back to the Age of Enlightenment. It can't and won't happen.
I agree with you on most of this, especially the thing about oil, but if we can get at least our cars onto something other than oil, that at least saves the oil for all the other things that need it until we find a replacement for oil/for the things that need oil. I don't know the statistics, but I'm betting on that transportation uses most of the oil.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
It's funny because geologists are actually the ones that mostly oppose the idea of us causing global warming.

We've got bigger problems than fucking global warming anyways, stop watching Fox news.

Jun 16, 2010
First off, here's a source:
http://www.skepticalscience.com/human-co2-smaller-than-natural-emissions-intermediate.htm
Read the comments as well as the article (the site is a bit biased and the article itself is full of cherry-picked data, but that happens on all sides)

Secondly,
cantgetaname said:
my argument ISN'T about the PLANET, it's about Humanity living on it. If there was a way to save Humanity by blowing up the planet, I for one wouldn't hesitate to push that Death Star button.
Man, don't kid yourself. Humanity won't last another 1000 years, tops. If it isn't weapons of mass destruction or an incurable pandemic, it'll be a random asteroid collision or an alien race that wants to build an intergalactic highway right where earth is. Taxing people for their 'carbon footprint' and crap like that won't make any difference.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
cantgetaname said:
I agree with you on most of this, especially the thing about oil, but if we can get at least our cars onto something other than oil, that at least saves the oil for all the other things that need it until we find a replacement for oil/for the things that need oil. I don't know the statistics, but I'm betting on that transportation uses most of the oil.
All right then, we get cars onto something other than oil. That is actually a good plan, and I personally endorse it. But it is also incomplete, let me explain.

At the time being, we have two good options to use as an alternative fuel in our vehicles. Straight electric power, and hydrogen power. Electric power is fairly self explanatory. Hydrogen, when it burns, forms water, not carbon gases. However in order to make enough hydrogen to do this, we need to use a significant amount of electricity at an electrolysis plant.

Whichever you choose, you have successfully eliminated greenhouse gases emitted directly by our cars. HOWEVER, you have also increased power grid consumption by a proportional amount. X fewer gallons burned in the gas tank means Y more pounds of coal burned in the power plant. Without also finding an alternate energy source for electrical production, doing so for our vehicles is almost meaningless. It would reduce overall emissions by a not insignificant amount, but would not solve the problem. Nuclear power plants just might be our only hope for efficiently eliminating this problem, but recent events suggest that may now be a political impossibility.

cantgetaname

Mar 16, 2011
Heronblade said:
cantgetaname said:
All right then, we get cars onto something other than oil. That is actually a good plan, and I personally endorse it. But it is also incomplete, let me explain.

At the time being, we have two good options to use as an alternative fuel in our vehicles. Straight electric power, and hydrogen power. Electric power is fairly self explanatory. Hydrogen, when it burns, forms water, not carbon gases. However in order to make enough hydrogen to do this, we need to use a significant amount of electricity at an electrolysis plant.

Whichever you choose, you have successfully eliminated greenhouse gases emitted directly by our cars. HOWEVER, you have also increased power grid consumption by a proportional amount. X fewer gallons burned in the gas tank means Y more pounds of coal burned in the power plant. Without also finding an alternate energy source for electrical production, doing so for our vehicles is almost meaningless. Nuclear power plants just might be our only hope for efficiently eliminating this problem, but recent events suggest that may now be a political impossibility.
Ya, but also, the power efficiency in that coal power plant is probably 1000% efficiency more then in my car. Because they WANT all the power they can get out of the coal, where as cars need gas, and if we need more gas, we need to BUY more gas, see where I'm going here?

Itsthatguy

Jan 22, 2011
Hey just to put it out, has anybody ever factored in an approaching ice age when considering environmental changes and their relation to what we are doing

Because as far as i know we are overdue for an ice age - the last three were 60 000, 40 000 and 20 000 years ago.
Even that guy in inconvinient truth was looking at the large ice pack in greenland, and how if "global warming" continues it could result in an ice age. Global warming, or just the earth's natural cycle

Just putting it out there

cantgetaname

Mar 16, 2011
Mimsofthedawg said:
cantgetaname said:
Ok the volcano thing is kinda annoying me, how can (what max 10 major eruptions a year?) be more then the constant burning of fossil fuels that humans do? Yes volcanoes may put out a lot all at once, but just basic estimation can tell that people put out more DURING A YEAR.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/index.php
Volcanoes release more than 130 million tonnes of CO2

Because while 200 million tonnes of CO2 is large, the global fossil fuel CO2 emissions for 2003 tipped the scales at 26.8 billion tonnes. Thus, not only does volcanic CO2 not dwarf that of human activity, it actually comprises less than 1 percent of that value into the atmosphere every yea
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2007/07_02_15.html

However, a far greater amount of CO2 is contributed to the atmosphere by human activities each year than by volcanic eruptions.
http://www.geology.sdsu.edu/how_volcanoes_work/climate_effects.html

http://www.grist.org/article/volcanoes-emit-more-co2-than-humans

http://volcanology.geol.ucsb.edu/gas.htm
Yearly averages of global temperatures have steadily increased since the industrial revolution, mid-1700's to mid-1800's in England, addition of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere from industrial processes and the internal combustion engine. Carbon dioxide is abundant in volcanic gases, but not enough to significantly contribute to the greenhouse effect. Volcanoes contribute about 110 million tons of carbon dioxide per year while man's activities contribute about 10 billion tons per year.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/planes-or-volcano/

Comon some BASIC Goolging AT LEAST before you say something
that took me like 5 minutes
but there's two problems with the "yearls average temperature" thing. The problem is that each new "spike" in average temperatures coincides with more accurate ways to measure temperatures. Case in point: the greatest leap in history of global temperatures was in the 1970's. the 1970's was also the decade we began to launch weather satellites which could take more detailed readings of the global temperature of the earth. Not only was it far more accurate, but it also allowed us to gather information from the oceans, an area that was vaguely studied in terms of temperatures. It was then discovered that oceans were vastly more warm than previously thought, and since oceans make up roughly 3 quarters of the world, by implication the world is vastly warmer.

Further proof of climate change being wrong is looking at it climatologically, over the course of thousands of years. When viewed in this light, it becomes clear that we've been going through natural cycles (this would also explain why, 40 years ago, the majority of scientists thought we were going through global cooling). It is not in dispute whether or not humans are altering the climate; the dispute is how fast. the majority of scientists believe that drastic changes won't occur for another 100-500 years. How does that account for things like the polar ice caps melting? They melt due to other factors, such as a rise in CO2 in the oceans, and arctic plate instability.

it's also worth noting that in the last decade, when more carbon dioxide was released than in any previous decade, the global temperature has actually gone down almost as much as it rose in the 30 years prior (leading many to conclude that the idea of the earths climate as cyclical to be correct).

Lastly, it is also interesting to note that CO2, the greatest pollutant, is also the weakest in terms of green house effect. The reality is that global warming activist do not actually believe themselves that CO2 raises temperatures, but rather that CO2 can have adverse effects on things like the ocean, where too much CO2 can disrupt natural ocean currents; if these currents collapsed, no warm water would reach the poles, causing the ice caps to grow - sparking a new ice age. Further proof of CO2's inability to effect the climate can be found in the fact that the vast majority gets absorbed into the oceans. If CO2 is all under water, how is it that it can raise atmospheric temperatures? Put simply, it can't.

What people don't realize is almost everything global warming activists throw at them is either simply a half truth or an oversimplification of the real problem. Frankly, I don't disagree with their methods because having to explain that "CO2 doesn't cause air to warm but fucks up the ocean!" is a lot harder than saying, "CO2 WILL FRY YOUR MUFFIN TOPS RIGHT OFF YOUR JEANS IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL!" Who cares about the ocean? but when everything from storms to droughts to increased asthmatics can be explained by increased temperatures and "green house gases", it's a much easier ploy.

The problem I have is with the histeria around it. Global warming exists, yes; Florida, however, will not be under water in a few decades. Try a few Centuries. and I'm hoping by then I'll be a brain in a floating vesicle living in a brain-retirement-home somewhere on the Citadel. heheh.
Oh oh I see what your saying, took me a sec, I'm not really arguing the fact that the TEMPERATURE is rising or not, but that CO2 is rising, and there are plenty of things that scare me about that. Like dead oceans. And dead plant life. And I'm not too worried about rising oceans, at least what I know about it, but I am worried about the melting ice caps. Ya, I'm not on about Global Warming, just about CO2 Being VERY BAD

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
TheRealCJ said:
Okay, so first of all: I think global warming is absolutely happening. But I also respect those who have a strong opinion contrary to mine (Well, those who aren't arses about it anyway).

But my question is thus: You may not believe it's truly happening, but why are you so against preventative measures to stop it happening in the future? Surely you'd agree that to stop it from happening 100 years from now, which is entirely plausible, there should be some preventative measures taken now.

I've got people here in Australia, prominent people, people in Government, saying things along the lines of "Global Warming has not been proven as fact, so just keep right on doing exactly what you're doing now, because it's not causing immediate and noticeable damage."

That seems unnecessarily reckless to me. After all, doesn't the old idiom read "A stitch in time saves nine"?

EDIT: I feel that people are taking "global warming" point slightly too literally. I'm also talking about pollution in general. But that doesn't have as many obsessive back-and-forthers.
There is more to it than just skepticism. It's not entirely clear that global warming is man made, or that if it is, that it's a bad thing.

To put things into perspective Larry Niven wrote a book called "Fallen Angels" which was a work of science fiction intended to illustrate some fairly legitimate points about the entire issue which he outlined in his afterwards aside from the story.

The basic idea is that the world is over due for another ice age. There are some fairly compelling arguements about how the burning of fossil fuels, and those greenhouse gasses might be all that is maintaining life on planet earth by keeping the temperature up. Taking action to cut the emissions could wind up doing even more catastrophic damage than the doomsday scenarios predicted from extreme global warming.

The point being that there are a lot of theories on all sides of this, all of which are pretty credible even if everyone on all sides wants to debunk each other, and right now the global warming thing is the most popular theory for the moment, due to the involvement of left wing icons like Al Gore.

For all we know, global warming could be entirely natural as well, and there are a lot of people that hold to that attitude as well.

The point is that the people pushing the global warming thing right now, generally want radical action to be taken, when I don't think we actually understand enough about the situation overall to make any extreme desicians. We're talking about a situation where we do have some time, so before we start hitting the panic button, we need to analyze things a bit more, because we could wind up doing more harm than good by messing with this.

We cut down on the emissions which have been building up all this time, and the ice age theory is correct, the odds of being able to build them up again to halt the process are going to be minimal, especially given the amount of fossil fuels we expended to get to
this point to begin with.

To be entirely honest given how messed up reality tends to be, I imagine in the end we're going to wind up with a situation where we're going to need to engage in a pretty delicate balancing act.

cantgetaname

Mar 16, 2011
Oh and another note:
YES the world has been through temperature highs and lows naturally, but that has NOT BEEN BECAUSE OF RISING CO2. What we're going through now IS.

Mar 19, 2011
I don't think tht it is global warming so much as it is the earth just fixing itself. For instance whenever a cyclone occurs the CO2 in the air around tht area has been cleaned. Also whenever theres a drought for say, three years, then next wet season, it absolutely pisses down, sometimes all the way through the supposed dry season.

The earth will fix itself in time, but rly only if we let it.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
So what you are saying is basically:

"even if you don't believe it is happening, don't you believe we should be making changes to stop it from happening"

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
It's not that they're taking the term "Global Warming" too literally, people don't take it literally enough. The total global temperature is rising, but in many isolated places, the temperature is dropping. This seems to be the basis for a lot of anecdotal proof that Global Warming is a vast conspiracy concocted by the illuminati or aliens or reptilian shapeshifters or whatever.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
cantgetaname said:
Heronblade said:
cantgetaname said:

Whichever you choose, you have successfully eliminated greenhouse gases emitted directly by our cars. HOWEVER, you have also increased power grid consumption by a proportional amount. X fewer gallons burned in the gas tank means Y more pounds of coal burned in the power plant. Without also finding an alternate energy source for electrical production, doing so for our vehicles is almost meaningless. Nuclear power plants just might be our only hope for efficiently eliminating this problem, but recent events suggest that may now be a political impossibility.
Ya, but also, the power efficiency in that coal power plant is probably 1000% efficiency more then in my car. Because they WANT all the power they can get out of the coal, where as cars need gas, and if we need more gas, we need to BUY more gas, see where I'm going here?
Centralizing power output like that is indeed more efficient, by about 25%. As for conspiracies to get more money, "they" can easily increase the base cost for electrical bills to compensate. The question of it being more efficient is not an issue. The problem is that the upfront cost to switch over to electrical or hydrogen systems would offset any profits made for a long period. Ultimately, companies are in business to make money, and there is a difference between squeezing every penny out of people and avoiding bankruptcy.

Harlief said:
It's not that they're taking the term "Global Warming" too literally, people don't take it literally enough. The total global temperature is rising, but in many isolated places, the temperature is dropping. This seems to be the basis for a lot of anecdotal proof that Global Warming is a vast conspiracy concocted by the illuminati or aliens or reptilian shapeshifters or whatever.
Incorrect, in terms of what is going on with average global temperature right now that is.

http://www.longrangeweather.com/images/GTEMPS.gif

As you can see, current average global temperatures are going down again, after never having hit the highest record for the past few millenia. Currently, the concern is not extreme temperatures, but the fact that the interval between hot and cold phases seems to be getting shorter.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
*sigh*

Climate change deniers are not "skeptics."

Skeptics are people who question assumptions, who try to avoid arriving at predetermined conclusions. Skeptics are people who make an effort to investigate whether the position they hold is the correct one.

Climate change denialists do not question their own assumptions, they maintain a practically-religious devotion to their position that enables them to shrug off proven facts. They regurgitate the same old tired arguments no matter how many times they are refuted, ignoring all scientific evidence in order to delude themselves that their predetermined notion is correct all along. That is not "skepticism," that is fanaticism.

It's embarrassing. They're almost as bad as Creationists (or Scientologists), and their beliefs are almost as preposterous (emphasis on "almost," but still...).