A question for Dexter fans ...

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
We all know that one day there will be a final season. As they move onto Season 6, we all know it will end one day. So, in helping to keep the Escapist forums free of "so-and-so is now -" threads, the question is, how do YOU think the series will end?

My guess: Dexter gets caught, Deb, who has been quick to mention several times that Dex is the only good thing in her life will, will kill herself and Dexter will be lead to "The Chair" saying "...Tonight's the night ... the night it all ends."

What do you think?

Also, what's your favorite and least favorite season? As for me: Favorite: S1. Least Favorite: S3.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
I don't think he'll get caught, I think he'll find another serial killer, a really smart one, and they'll spar over a couple of seasons, until finally his entire family is destroyed, his life is ruined, and he finds himself on the table of this new killer. Dexter knows he will die, and so has left incriminating evidence of himself and the other killer at his flat, letting Dexter find peace and the other killer a chair.

I think it would be pretty awesome.

My favourite season is probably 2, the British woman in it was really annoying, but everything else rocked, least favourite would be 5.

genericusername64

Jun 18, 2011
Everybody around dexter will die, possibly as some form of revenge because dexter killed [insert here], and then he takes revenge, but he gets caught and gets the chair.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
I think Deb will catch Dexter and it will make her either kill herself or go crazy, and because of that Dexter will turn himself in or run, depends also on what he wants to do with his son.

My favorite season is probably 1, but I will give an honorable mention to 4 because I thought John Lithgow was great as the trinity killer, he really creeped me out. Worst season was probably 5, it was okay, but the other seasons were just better.

Senor Smoke21

May 23, 2008
It can only really end with his execution/death or it getting cancelled. He'll never stop killing people so it can never have a happy ending.
Can't decide between seasons 2 and 4 for favourite. 2 was so tense at times but John Lithgow was so creepy.
Least favourite was 3, couldn't stand that Cuban guy.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I remember reading somewhere that Michael C. Hall's contract was for six seasons. We may already be heading for the end. If it does end there, I would be sad to see it go, but happy that it did not overstay its welcome and get dragged on and on with increasing levels of ridiculousness.

genericusername64 said:
Everybody around dexter will die, possibly as some form of revenge because dexter killed [insert here], and then he takes revenge, but he gets caught and gets the chair.
Let me modify that one. Instead of getting caught, it comes down to a battle between him and the person who's been killing his friends. Dexter kills him, but is mortally wounded in the process.

When the police eventually find the scene, the evidence is inconclusive, and they're left with a mystery as to whether Dexter was a murderer, or if he was acting in self-defense. I think that'd be an ending worthy of Dexter.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
He should get caught. The cops around him are starting to look retarded. He could go on the run though and Dexter could end with him starting business again in some third world country in hiding.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm really not sure on how it should end. The writers originally said that the series ends when Deb finds out about Dexter, but then the producers backtracked on that. I think the only way to get the series out of the semi rut the storyline is in is by having Deb find out and then dealing with that. It's really one of the best aspects of the books. I'd say end this season with Deb finding out about Dexter and then do one more season where it all shakes out, whatever the end happens to be.

Least favourite season? Easily 3.

Favourite season? Tough call. I really liked last season until it sort of fell apart in the last couple of episodes. Lumen was a great character and really changed the series up for the better, but ended up with things just getting reset.. again. I'll probably stick with last season overall, but the only season I'd really call out as weak is season 3.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Wow why does everyone seem to think the only way for it to end is with Dexter himself dying?
I'd love it if Lumen came back or if Deb finds out and at some point afterwards Dexter is somehow freed of his "Dark Passenger" that again Lumen felt made her unable to be with Dexter anymore.

Favorite Season? the new one is 6? then 5. and least favorite 4 Trinity was a little to sick for me.

Viking Incognito

Master Headsplitter
Nov 8, 2009
I don't know what the last scene will look like but I bet that in the last episode, it will skip forward a few years to where Harris is in his late teens and has grown up to be like Dexter, and Dexter has taught him how to take his place.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I'm going with the opinion above.
I'd imagine everything around him crumbles, but the irony being that he himself won't die.
Would be cool to see him emerge from some sort of mastermind serial killer's plot victorious but I'm interested in anyway that they'd end the series.

As for favourite season...

easily 4.
The Trinity Killer is just so menacing. John Lithgow got a well deserved Emmy for that role.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This topic reminds me that I haven't watched Dexter past season 4.

Off to order season 5 from netflix!

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
The Virgo said:
We all know that one day there will be a final season. As they move onto Season 6, we all know it will end one day. So, in helping to keep the Escapist forums free of "so-and-so is now -" threads, the question is, how do YOU think the series will end?

My guess: Dexter gets caught, Deb, who has been quick to mention several times that Dex is the only good thing in her life will, will kill herself and Dexter will be lead to "The Chair" saying "...Tonight's the night ... the night it all ends."

What do you think?

Also, what's your favorite and least favorite season? As for me: Favorite: S1. Least Favorite: S3.

I think the final season might just pull something like that, killing off Dexter or having him get caught. But I think this scenario is a little more likely:

Dexter is doing his job as always, muddling through his days, and then finds a new "playmate" (Target as they usually say in the show . . . not wanting to promote a villain as good and all that) and in doing so, misses some crucial detail . . . maybe he was pre-occupied with thoughts of his son, maybe he was just too angry because it was someone connected to his family. But he misses something, the person goes missing, the cops start looking into it, and find something that leads back to him. Deb gives him the early notice, and continues her job as usual, untill it comes to the climactic moment when she is forced to choose. Her job, or her family. She aims her pistol at Dexter, as others come toward them, tears welling up in her eyes, hands shaking wildly muttering how she never wanted it to come to this, but knew it would. And fires a shot . . . and it goes black. Dexter's voice saying quietly. "It's ok Deb . . . I understand."

The show goes to comercial, and soon enough comes back in, to show Deb raising Harrison years later, him occassionally asking about his mother and father, what happened to them, and Deb telling him that they were great people that got hurt very bad by someone.

Then it shows the moon slowly rising, a boat going across the water, and on the deck Dexter in one of his many shirts picks up a bag, as Deb continues to talk to Harrison, telling him how much she loved her brother. Dexter throws the bag over the edge, watching it splash and sink as Deb tells Harrison his dad loves him very much and wants him to be happy. And it closes on Dexter's face, smiling as he holds up a letter to the light, from Deb, with pictures of Harrison. The letter reading that Harrison is growing up strong and healthy, very smart. And then at the very bottom, it will say "just like you."

ROLL CREDITS.

NOTICE: I am not on any team working for the show, I'm just a big fan and a HUGE Nerd. I've read all the books up to Dexter is Delicious so far and going on that and my watching of the show I came up with what I think the ending SHOULD be. Do not take that as being any kind of inside info.

Also if anyone who writes for the show sees this . . . feel free to use this ending or some version of it guys . . . I'm a big fan and would LOVE to see one of my favorite stories come to a close like this.

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
The Virgo said:

What do you think?

I can't imagine an end to the series like that. I can't speculate what it would be, but I hardly believe the producers of the show would let Dexter get the chair...

Also, I watched every season 3 times (Dexter's my favorite show ever) and I can't decide, after rewatching them, you realise that they all have equally brilliant story lines and characters.

gostchiken

Aug 22, 2009
I think that he might get caught and/or killed, but before he does he passes on his trade to Astor, and Cody, a la the novels.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I think Dexter getting caught would be the best, most emotional kick to the stomach way to end it. I think I could even handle a trial, though I think TV trials are sooo overdone and formulaic.

Dexter can't reform. I can't see them ending the show like that in a way that wouldn't be contrived or demeaning to the show. I don't want him to be killed either. The "hero" goes to jail. I can't think of many pieces of fiction that get that ending.
Julianking93 said:
The Trinity Killer is just so menacing. John Lithgow got a well deserved Emmy for that role.
He literally made my skin crawl. The tension in the Dexter-Trinity scenes were almost too much to handle. Yeah, I'd have to agree it was the best. Despite its awkwardness in writing around the Rita situation, I thought last season was pretty good too. It pretty much put the final nail in the Reformed Dexter coffin.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Wow, I had thought this thread had ended up in the forgotten, barren wasteland of the world wide web!

SammiYin said:
My favourite season is probably 2, the British woman in it was really annoying, but everything else rocked, least favourite would be 5.
"Annoying"? I think you mean, "Sexy". I'm watchin #5 from Netfilx currently and I think it's the best season since 2. Not that it's as good as 1 or 2, but it certainly beats 3 and 4.

Lucane said:
Wow why does everyone seem to think the only way for it to end is with Dexter himself dying?
I'd love it if Lumen came back or if Deb finds out and at some point afterwards Dexter is somehow freed of his "Dark Passenger" that again Lumen felt made her unable to be with Dexter anymore.

Favorite Season? the new one is 6? then 5. and least favorite 4 Trinity was a little to sick for me.
He should die, because it's the only way he can be free of his dark passenger. Some things don't just go away like that.

Also, I didn't like Season 4, not because Trinity was too "sick", but for me his motives were too predictable. I had him figured out 95% correct by the 4th episode.

Dirty Hipsters said:
This topic reminds me that I haven't watched Dexter past season 4.

Off to order season 5 from netflix!
Thank God for Netfilx! Watching #5, disc 3 from them.

Mikkaddo said:
*snip*

NOTICE: I am not on any team working for the show, I'm just a big fan and a HUGE Nerd. I've read all the books up to Dexter is Delicious so far and going on that and my watching of the show I came up with what I think the ending SHOULD be. Do not take that as being any kind of inside info.

Also if anyone who writes for the show sees this . . . feel free to use this ending or some version of it guys . . . I'm a big fan and would LOVE to see one of my favorite stories come to a close like this.
Nothing wrong with being a nerd! :) The only reason I don't think they would have Deb kill him is because it would be too similar to that one part in Season 2 when he thinks about how to tell her what he is.

However, they may be able to pull it off that kind of thing where it doesn't resemble that scene. However, if Dex gets caught or killed, because he's, as she says, the one consistent great thing in her life, she will either go crazy or kill herself. Whatever the outcome, I have no doubt that Jennifer Carpenter will be able to pull it off great! She's great at her role! Hell, they all are!

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Best season was 1. So good that if I had the chance I'd stop there. I didn't like 2 or 3 that much. 4 and 5 were a bit better. But I don't know if I'll keep watching.

What I didn't like was Dexter developing more empathy and emotions. It sounds like an odd complaint, but the whole idea he was an irredeemable sociopath who only his code keeps from harming innocents and being caught starts to fall apart when he is caring for people. It makes Harry a really shitty parent, because the Dexter of later seasons might have had a normal life if he'd had appropriate intervention in his youth.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Favourite was 2 - Doakes made a really good mirror for Dexter, someone who couldn't hide his emotions at all, and that became his undoing. The scene where Dexter head-butts Doakes in private, then leaves into the main station so everyone can see Doakes retaliate was awesome.
Least was 3. Miguel was just lame, and the Machete-killer-guy was just background boring.