A question for our non-smoking, non-drinking, non-recreational-drugs-using, romance seeking Escapees

WakeTheDead1

Jan 27, 2010
Akai Shizuku said:
I'm straight edge and in a serious relationship. I'm happy because I'm the person I want to be.
im also straight edge, my happiness is based on who i am not what i smoke or drink or fuck

i have a great fulfilling life and iv been told by others that *oh you dont smoke or drink youre so boring you have no life* and yet i snowboard, play drums in a band, surf, and do all sorts of stuff and they just sit there getting drunk and do nothing else, i have more of a life than them

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I don't smoke because I don't see the point in it, I don't take drugs because I feel I'd be too succeptible (sp?) to addiction, I drink when I feel like it, and I've given up on sex/romance. Romance because there is no such thing, just shallow attraction. People who need each other are weak, they depend on their partners like a child unable to leave the house without their favourite stuffed animal. Sure, life would be easier with someone else to help me, but they'd only betray me in the end, and if there is one thing I allow myself to feel proud of, it's my ability to stand alone.

And I've given up on sex because I'm simply one of the most hideous sights this planet has to offer, thus meaning no-one would ever want to have sex with me.

Happy? Rarely. But strong? Unimaginably so.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
I've tried all of the above and discovered that three are the course to the fourth and having no interest in the three gets me very little of the fourth. Seems you can't be yourself to be happy, I've discovered.

I remain a clean-living person who is not happy at all. Noticing a pattern?

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Wow Spinozaad, never came across a multi-user bigot like you before. Not smoking, drinking, doing drugs or having "casual sex" (seriously, who are you kidding) automatically means that a person cannot be as happy as you are...even though you repeatedly try to prove otherwise, that comes across really narrow-minded.

Not every person living differently does so for pseudo-religious reasons. It's just a matter of preference. You might as well be a concert pianist acting condescending towards anyone who's not into classical music.

As for myself, yes I'm quite happy. Not that many intoxicated highs, but not hangovers either. Only time I'm bored is when I'm around people who *need* substances to unwind. Then again I've always been the weirdo mostly immune to peer-pressure :D

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Doclector said:
Romance because there is no such thing, just shallow attraction. People who need each other are weak, they depend on their partners like a child unable to leave the house without their favourite stuffed animal.
Here's a tip for future reference.
Personal experience and anecdotal evidence do not make opinions fact.
I'm sorry you've had a crap time when it comes to relationships, but to claim you're superior (stronger) than others because they've found the love and romance that eludes you is ridiculous. Not to mention it makes you sound like a wanker.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
I do things with my life. So yeah, I'd say I'm happy. I mean, if I'm at a party, then yes I'll let loose, but in no way shape or form do I make anything reminiscent of a habit of it. Even though you've disclaimed twice that you're not implying that you can't be happy without some kind of foreign substance running through your body, you do a poor job of demonstrating that point. I also happen to take a conservative viewpoint on sexuality and don't consider casual sex to be at all "romantic".

Halceon said:
If you need extras to be happy, i pity you.
This. Furthermore, you display a point of view that is incredibly uncreative and narrow minded. If you are of the opinion that only by losing control can you enjoy yourself then you have no business questioning the reasoning and logic of others.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I seem to only be happy when my family attempts to make me happy or when I get a new game.

Mostly because, I lost my mom to a punctured lung, I have alot on my mind and, well, I am afraid of the future, thats why I love games so much. They provide the form of escapism that I need that neither a book or some movies can perform.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
fletch_talon said:
Doclector said:
Romance because there is no such thing, just shallow attraction. People who need each other are weak, they depend on their partners like a child unable to leave the house without their favourite stuffed animal.
I'm sorry you've had a crap time when it comes to relationships, but to claim you're superior (stronger) than others because they've found the love and romance that eludes you is ridiculous. Not to mention it makes you sound like a wanker.
Well, it works for me. I'm 19, if it hasn't happened yet, it never will. THerefore I have two options, I sit around being emo about it or I grow a pair and get used to the idea, never making the same mistakes again.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
well im not bored
i make my own hapiness when i write, play games,hang out with friends and i have yet to find a girl who likes me depite my geekyness
but im still young and i hardly want to shorten my lifespan with chemicals
ever

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I feel I'm happy enough. I'm far too young to make wise decisions with those sorts of things anyway, so I figure I'll wait a year or two then we'll see.

I'm a simple person. All I need are some people to hang out with and I'm set.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Most of the time, yes, I'm happy. When I'm unhappy, it is not because of a lack of substances in my body. I do not believe substances are required to make people happy, and in the long run, likely will take the opposite effect.

molester jester

Sep 4, 2008
Del-Toro said:
I do things with my life. So yeah, I'd say I'm happy. I mean, if I'm at a party, then yes I'll let loose, but in no way shape or form do I make anything reminiscent of a habit of it. Even though you've disclaimed twice that you're not implying that you can't be happy without some kind of foreign substance running through your body, you do a poor job of demonstrating that point. I also happen to take a conservative viewpoint on sexuality and don't consider casual sex to be at all "romantic".

Halceon said:
This. Furthermore, you display a point of view that is incredibly uncreative and narrow minded. If you are of the opinion that only by losing control can you enjoy yourself then you have no business questioning the reasoning and logic of others.
Could it not also be argued that by not being wiling to try new thing you are being rather narrow minded.

you state he makes a poor job of demonstrating that he does not need foreign substances, what do you want a blow by blow account of all the times he has had fun while being sober.

I think you really need to ease up and not take this thread so seriously.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
Spinozaad said:
Losing control, if done in moderation...
^hehe^
o.k. sorry.
but yeah I'm pretty happy. in fact I'm the happiest person i know. Now I don't mind people who do these things. but i hate the idiot on the bus who makes sure you know exactly how much he smoked and how high he is. or the douche bag in the neighborhood who always walks by and "casually" mentions he had a 3 some last night.
Or the elitist who posts on internet forums saying anyone who doesn't think like them is inferior.
Spinozaad said:
You enjoy games, you say? Well, so do I! But some times they're even more fun with drugs or alcohol!
You enjoy hanging around with friends, you say? Well, so do I! But some times hanging out with friends is even more fun when my dick is inside her vagina!...

So, without being condenscending (well, I suppose I am slightly... But no offense ment), I'd say that my life is better than yours (that is, if you don't smoke, drink, do drugs, have casual sex)...

Still, are you happy? Are you really, really happy that you're living a, possibly, healthy but, in my eyes, boring life?...

If you do none of these things, I feel you're living a boring life. And I want to know if it makes you happy...

Because, you know, you're just a normal person...
yes, that is exactly what you are saying.

since your entire post is essentially saying. "i do these things and i find them fun, I cant possibly see how anything else would be fun!" now I will name things i think are fun that don't kill me because you seem to be genuinely curious.
Theme parks
Video games
Sports
Climbing trees
Hanging out with friends. (no sex needed)
Learning a new song on the piano
Chess
Water parks
Reading
Watching movies
And those are just off the top of my head.
What's that you say? You don't play chess? I hate you and you don't know how to have fun and I better than you and your life is boring.

P.S. i love your little "Addendum's" taking back what you just said in the first half. than restating it in the second.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
You don't need these things to be happy; but I agree with you in saying that I don't understand how living a straight edge, abstinent lifestyle is any fun.

There are those that say I'm too young to have an opinion on any of these things, and they might be right, I haven't had the life experience to understand fully what doing the aforementioned things regularly can do. Especially the casual sex part, I've not been having a whole lot of that lately.

But I do know that drinking a little bit every now and then is generally okay (within reason of course) and that smoking a bowl of your friends' weed (I mooch most of the time) when there's nothing better to do will instantly make any day a good day.

And do I need to say anything about sex? Do I really? I guess the only thing I should say is:

Make sure both of you know that it's casual. You don't want to get into that kind of situation.

Really the only thing I don't understand is cigarettes. I'm not somehow against you if you smoke cigs, but I don't understand the appeal of potentially giving yourself lung cancer and a sometimes crippling addiction with no high involved.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
I don't Drink, Smoke, Do drugs or have recreational sex, but that's just how I am. I was brought up christian, and I was brought up to believe that these things are wrong. That's what I believe. I'm happy with my life, and feel no desire to do any of these things.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Doclector said:
fletch_talon said:
Doclector said:
Well, it works for me. I'm 19, if it hasn't happened yet, it never will. THerefore I have two options, I sit around being emo about it or I grow a pair and get used to the idea, never making the same mistakes again.
Cuz you're totally the first person to not have found "true love" (or just plain love) at age 19. I was 17, almost 18 before I met my girlfriend of the past 3 years, and she was the first girlfriend I ever had. My mum may have met my dad when they were kinda young but it didn't work out, they were never married and it took her another 6 years or so before mum did meet someone whom she married and is still with now.

I may be wrong but in my experience emo doesn't just refer to being mopey and whinging a lot, its just being overly emotional and melodramatic in general. A 19 year old claiming "if it hasn't happened by now, it never will" is prett over the top if you ask me.

Instead of "growing a pair" and acting like a douche, why don't you just suck it up and just live life as it comes. If you carry on with the attitude you currently have then it wouldn't matter if you did meet a potential romance because you'd push it away for fear that it will make you human.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
molester jester said:
Del-Toro said:

Halceon said:
Could it not also be argued that by not being wiling to try new thing you are being rather narrow minded.

you state he makes a poor job of demonstrating that he does not need foreign substances, what do you want a blow by blow account of all the times he has had fun while being sober.

I think you really need to ease up and not take this thread so seriously.
I don't recall saying that I'm unwilling to try new things, nor do I particularly care about his past experiences with sobriety or intoxication. The issue I have is with the implied train of thought that "if you aren't like me then you aren't happy". It's the kind of condescension that is present in the question he asks that strikes the wrong nerve with me.

That same nerve was struck the same way by you telling me not to take this thread so seriously.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
I don't smoke, drink or do drugs because those things have torn apart generations of my family. As for the romance, I'm happy as possible with my new girlfriend, so yup, I'm happy without those first three things.

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
I don't do any of those things, I wrote out a long explanation but figured that's not what you really wanted. I'm perfectly happy most of the time. I get a bit bored every now and again but who doesn't. I have a decent list of reasons why I don't care to do anything of the things you mentioned. The casual "Romance" with girls thing though is because I really have very little sexual desire at all. It's not waiting for the right girl bla bla bla. I just have no desire to be with anyone. Never been with anyone and I really don't care to be.

Citizen.Erased

May 19, 2009
I enjoy indulging in some chocolate milk once in a while.
It makes me happy. If chocolate milk doesn't make you happy, you are a sad, boring, unhappy bastard.