A question for our non-smoking, non-drinking, non-recreational-drugs-using, romance seeking Escapees

Musclepunch

Jan 9, 2010
molester jester said:
Musclepunch said:
Your the one that makes your life not boring, I dont drink,smoke,use drugs or hire prostitutes, I have alternative, your life is only as boring as YOU make it, I'm sure you could find a substitute to your highs and lows.
Because anybody that says they enjoy casual sex must really mean that they hire prostitutes.
It was in reference to an earlier post

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I don't drink because I think alcohol tastes like shit.
I don't smoke because the smell makes my head feel like it's splitting open.
I don't use drugs because I enjoy being in my right mind as much as possible.
I suppose I would consider casual sex, but I can't imagine wanting to sleep with someone I didn't have at least some romantic feelings for, and I have yet to meet such a person.

I wouldn't say I'm unhappy, although at the moment I'm a bit unsure about what to do with my life, but I think that my idea of "fun" is fundamentally different from OP's. A lot of what he suggests just sounds utterly boring to me, and I'd much rather be out sketching, or taking a walk near the ocean, or discussing film, or studying prehistoric fish or just about anything else.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Intellectual stimulation. It can make one have a sort of high at times. At least I have a couple times.

Oh and fantasizing. Lots and lots of fantasizing. Sometime this world is simply too boring.

As for smoking, drinking, doing the other drugs, or having sex; well I can see how those can really make life nice. I don't drink or do drugs, but I might do some (read: a little bit) eventually simply to see what its like. I don't plan on smoking mainly do to the health effects, but I don't bash people who like to smoke. Casual sex I'm all for, I just haven't gotten any yet.

Course I wouldn't say that I'm generally happy with life. I more of just go through it because, well, that's all I can do.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
TLDR: Im currently 20 years old, dont drink, smoke or do drugs of any kind.

I can honestly say: Yes! I am happy. I dont need anything to help me get on with my daily life and my friends understand that I might enjoy a coke instead of a beer or drink at parties.

I hate pot-smokers at parties, as they often forgets, or just dont feel they have to ask the people around them for permission, when they light a joint indoors.
Common... Cant they just eat a frekkin hash-brownie or something? :/

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
Im happy as can be. Never really got the point of drinking piss tasteing drinks to get drunk, or getting high, most of my friends do, and im a one woman take it slow kinda guy. Whatever floats your boat really though. I abstain from it, not because im a religious nut or anything, but I jsut dont get it. A cheap fuck is a cheap fuck, id rather have a meaningful relationship. Its really just all personal taste though, I dont see the appeal in not having your full brain working, but a ton of other people do. Like I said, whatever floats your boat makes you happy. Im not missing out on life by not doing it, im living it the way I want to

Vortex Traveller

Sep 28, 2008
I do not drink, smoke or take drugs. I mainly don't for medical reasons (I have certain health issues which would be made significantly worse if I did) but I don't really have a desire too, I have tried alcohol but did not like the taste. I don't have casual sex (I'm a hopeless romantic and I know I'd end up getting emotionally attached). I don't look down on people who do these things I just ask people to respect why I don't do them myself. Finally am I happy... I have ups and downs, their are things I want to change sure but that will happen in time..

Mobius Evalon

Jan 23, 2009
I used to smoke but quit winter of 2008 just days before the United States tax hike on tobacco products. It simply became too expensive to continue, not to mention that cigarette smoking is entirely for the nicotene fix and not for the act of smoking. People equate being able to relax (and other excuses) with smoking simply because of their nicotene addiction.

I used to smoke pot when I was sixteen, but it quickly became apparent that applying a fuzzy filter to the world isn't the appropriate method of dealing with life. In addition, my thirty year old brother has smoked, bought, and sold marijuana for the last eighteen years, and lives at home with my mother and has nothing. It's easy to avoid stupid decisions when you see such a fantastic example of why to never get involved with it early in life. Not to mention, as well, that it's illegal. I'd prefer not to get caught with it, and the best way to do that is to neither use nor possess it.

I drink alcohol occasionally. I'm no drunkard by any means, but I enjoy stumbling over a curb once in a while with some friends. I get drunk probably a dozen times a year or less.

I've never had a girlfriend nor had any sex just because I don't want to. Girlfriends (and consequently, wives and families) mean you sacrifice most of your time to deal with a significant other and/or children, and I'm perfectly happy doing whatever the fuck I feel like doing for the time being. I'm only 24 and just got my degree this year, and I've been enjoying my summer waking up when I feel like it, playing games and/or messing around on the internet all day, and going to sleep when I get sleepy. Life is noticeably more boring this way, but I get all the time in the world to be selfish.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I don't smoke, drink or smoke... in a different manner. But yeah, I'm pretty meh. I'm happy enough.

Apr 29, 2010
Well, I just don't see the point in doing drugs, smoking, or engaging in casual one-night stands. I didn't mention drinking, because I do drink on occasion with friends and family, but lately it's been starting to lose its appeal. I don't see the point in drug use, now matter how little or how much, because I just see it as an expensive waste. Why would I spend money on something that just ends up fucking my body up? I just don't see any reason to. I never saw the appeal in drug use. Same thing goes for smoking. I don't know about everyone else, but breathing in smoke is something I have no interest in whatsoever. Also, the act of engaging in casual sex is something I'd never do. For one thing, I'm a virgin, and I want my first time to actually mean something, instead of a "fuck 'em and leave 'em" scenario. On top of that, i'm not the type of person to go out to clubs looking for some random girl to sleep with. It's just not me.

Now, am I a happy person? I am, but I'm sure I'm not the happiest person in the world. My life could be better, but I don't believe that indulging in those things will make it so. But, that's just how I feel. As far as I'm concerned, my life is OK without having to take part in smoking, doing drugs, or any of that stuff.

flangleelgnalf

Jul 3, 2010
suprizingly, yes.
however im one of those odd people who enjoy hour long talks on social and economic policies since the 1950's so not much bores me.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Couldn't be bothered reading past the first page.

On the slim possibility that I'm answering the OP's question differently to others.

I have, earlier in my life, engaged in all of those activities.

Now however;

I do not smoke (I never thought smoking cigarettes was a good idea but I did enjoy the occasional cigar).

I do not take drugs beyond those prescribed by a medical professional.

I do not drink alcohol (I haven't in about 3 months) since I've dicovered that it is, in fact, carcenogenic. I stopped drinking excessively once I decided to start studying at uni and stopped altogether alot more recently.

I do not have vicarious sex. This is due to the fact that I have found romance and am in a mutually beneficial, loving, emotionally supportive relationship.

I am currently studying a dual degree which I find sometimes challenging and at other times frustrating yet it helps me on the way to studying medicine, which has been a goal of mine for the last couple of years.

I geniunely believe that if someone were to take a reading of chemical levels in each of our brains that indicate emotional strain vs elation (the only real way to test who's happier the most) I would come out with a more positive reading. I'm not having a go at you, I just think that I'm really happy, moreso that someone living the life which you decribe (of which I've some experience).

Now I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't live life the way you want. Heavens know I've got a stack of happy memories from when i lived a more wild life, just that, yes there are other ways to live happily.

I hope I've answered your question, perhaps without sounding like a smarmy bastard.

Edit: Not too shabby for my 300th post.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Yes, perfectly happy. I hang out with friends, engage in interesting hobbies, and have a lot more disposable income than many I know because I don't waste it on chemical happiness.
As for the sex perspective, I like to reduce risk. Having to pay child support the rest of my life because of a one night stand does not appeal to me. If you are at least in a committed relationship, you have the ability to raise the child with the mother (most likely), giving the kid a much better chance of leading a normal life.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I'd say I'm pretty happy. Yes, I do drink but not much and neither have I ever been drunk. Also, I have no desire to do drugs or have sex with every other guy who walks down the street. Yet, I'm happy even without those things.

Still, I don't think my life is better than the life of anyone else. Especially when I don't know an iota of information about them.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I've never agreed with drugs or smoking.

Casual-sex if you're in a position to be having it, is fair enough.

I personally have never had sex outside of a relationship, but then again until recently I never really went out to social places like bars or parties.

The smoking I tried once in my youth and I found it just made me sick as opposed to relaxed which most people claim to get from it.

Drugs I've never been at all interested in, I'm perfectly ok with people putting whatever they want into their body and I think no less of them for it.

I will however admit that with the severity of the drug and the rate of use drastically affects my first impression. Which in turns relates to how little I think of them from the get go.

So let's say you smoke marijuana but mostly for recreation or as a means to calm you down.
Fine. I've also overlooked people occasionally doing coke as a 'party drug' but when the person in question is never not at a party and as such never not taking coke, sure I'm not entitled to have a low opinion of that person, but I will regardless.

There is a point where a person crosses the line from doing some 'milder' drug for the sake of taking the edge off from time-to-time, to outright making sure they're in a constant state of medicated euphoria.

If a party was boring enough to cause you to resort to hard drugs, then maybe you should just re-consider what parties you go to...

So here's my philosophy:

Drinking? Fine, I like doing it myself.
Smoking? Go ahead if you want to, just please, don't do it near me, it makes me nauseous.
Drugs? In moderation I won't mind, just don't invite me along for the ride, I'm not interested.
Casual Sex? If you're getting sex without the commitment, good for you, I personally enjoy the sex me and my girlfriend have.

In closing, people will live their lives however they like, and I'm fine with that, as long as they don't go overboard with it.

[edit: whoops, forgot]: I'd honestly say I'm happy with the majority of aspects in my life, the parts I'm not satisfied with aren't included in this thread.

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
Partying is the spice of life it changes up the mix it can be amazing and make you happy but its to what extent you do it

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
I don't do any of these things. The things that make me happy are the pain and suffering of others. I feed upon their tears. Which taste like salty, less sugary, tea. But besides that I could get by with a good video game or book for a while.

Darchrow

Nov 18, 2009
I personally am a very poor drinker and get a horrible rash if I drink 6-8 units of alcohol, but just sitting with friends regardless of how drunk I am its always fun. Weed once other drugs no, smoking is very taboo for me but that is for very personal reasons. I'm not into instant gratification and more into long term investment with a large release at the end, this is normally from intellectually challenging myself.

Am I happy? Yes definitely. My quality of life improves every day, I love learning I'm only 20 years of age, if I get my Masters Degree in Chemical Engineering there is such a large demand for them that I would have to screw up very badly to not get a good job in the industry. People would look at my life right now and say its boring, not getting extremely drunk, no casual sex (why would I when I have a girlfriend?), no drugs (okay most people are jealous that I get to travel a lot) but I find happiness in realizing that these few 'mundane' years will not be for nothing. But to be fair its also because I have the best parents I could ever ask for ^^

ICortezI

Jul 25, 2010
Sex aside, I don't do any of those things because they're unhealthy. I occasionally feel the urge to party with fiends and get dunk, but it just seems somewhat silly to me, I can have a perfectly fun time without getting drunk.

But yes, as I was saying, I have the occasional drink but never usually not enough to get stupid drunk. I've never felt the urge to try smoing or drugs, drugs are in my opinion stupid, and smoking isn't much better. By never trying them to begin with I have no urge to do them again and I don't have to subjugate my body to that torture.

I'm pretty happy, I have a good job, plenty of friends, my family is close, I have a fun hobby, there are plenty of things to make you happy without resoting to abusing your boddy. That's my toughts anyway.

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
I've done all these things before... I'll still have a drink on the holidays.

I'm a father of a very bright nine year old boy. I'm incredibly happy. :)