A question for those that donate blood.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
There's a blood collect-a-thon in town tomorrow, and I've been promising myself to give some of the precious red stuff since I heard about it. I'm not really squeamish about needles, and I can always look the other way while the stuff is being drawn out anyway.
There's just one thing holding me back: I've got two days of pretty strenous work coming up on Friday and Saturday, followed by a day of intense consumption of alcohol and perhaps other substances. I weigh in at under 9 stone, and I'm wondering whether giving blood will leave me too weakened to make it through a weekend of lugging heavy stuff, sleeping in a tent [and probably only for brief snatches, at that] and imbibing fermented things. Would a four-day recovery-period be sufficient to grow back the blood?

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Well, I'm significantly heavier than you are. But I've never experienced weariness from giving blood that wasn't fixed by a nap, or a soda and a sandwich. I think four days will be more than enough.

the_honey_badger

Jun 3, 2011
The first time I had donated blood I was a lot thinner than I am now, and I stupidly hadn't had enough food to keep my blood-sugar high. Well I subsequently threw up and very almost passed out. I suffered from lethargy for a about three days, but after that I was completely fine.

My experience is pretty unique, and they estimate only around 5% of people would have a similar reaction to mine; but just to be safe make sure you eat plenty beforehand. And if you are unfortunate, in my experience, I had recovered and was feeling 100% after 2-3 days.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
You'll be woozy and physically useless for a day (maybe two if your body hates you) but you should be fine after that.
Don't have any alcohol, or mess with your body at all during that period, because it will effect you much easier and harder in your weakened state.
Eat lots of spinach, broccoli, and steak, and you'll be right as rain in 24 hours.

You don't need to slip into a coma, or be bed ridden for a day, but just take it easy and don't do anything strenuous.

furmaster3000

Apr 5, 2009
I've never done it. On the one hand because i'm not afraid to tell you that I'm mortified by needles. But on the other it's mostly that I live in Europe. And altough I would want to donate blood. It's just that every time I turn on the TV and see American people getting paid for the blood donations, I just feel cheaped out. (JK!)

Proven Paradox

Apr 10, 2011
I've donated several times before, and I didn't notice any ill effects whatsoever. However, I am, to use the scientific term, goddamned huge, and I was told that size played a big factor. Apparently it's easier on men than women as well.

Drink water and eat well beforehand. The places I donated at also had a table with cakes and the like set up for donors afterward; the people running the drive assured me that partaking helps reduce side effects afterward considerably.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
As long as you have a decent meal, lots of carbs, then you tend to be 100% the next day. It's not even a big deal as long as you don't plan on operating machinery. Just think about the half-dozen or so cute nurses that tend to be at blood drives - it's all worth it :D.

Proven Paradox

Apr 10, 2011
surg3n said:
As long as you have a decent meal, lots of carbs, then you tend to be 100% the next day. It's not even a big deal as long as you don't plan on operating machinery. Just think about the half-dozen or so cute nurses that tend to be at blood drives - it's all worth it :D.
Man, what kind of blood drives have you been going to, you lucky bastard? Mine were complete sausage fests, at least as far as the folks running it go.

IsraelRocks

Apr 21, 2010
i give blood every 3 months and as far as i know, you are not allowed to do any hard work for 12 hrs, and no flying\diving for 24 hrs.

CAPATHYA : cold feet
LOL

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
It took me a few hours to "recover", last time I donated blood. I might just be a complete mutant, and I'm bigger than you, but you should be perfectly fine by then.

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
As far as blood donations go, I've given blood about 18 times with no problems. Although I do sometimes tend to fall asleep a bit easier at night when I go to bed. Just eat well, drink plenty of water, eat whatever cookies/juice they give you after your donation, and you should be fine. They also give you some other guidelines like no heavy lifting for 6 hours afterward, no smoking for a short time (I forget how long exactly), etc.
Proven Paradox said:
surg3n said:
Man, what kind of blood drives have you been going to, you lucky bastard? Mine were complete sausage fests, at least as far as the folks running it go.
My experiences are a different story from both of yours. There are a few cute nurses when I go, but it's mostly older women running things.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
In Scotland, blood drives are usually staffed by student nurses, so we do alright.

Geekiest

Jan 21, 2011
It's more about the prep than the recovery in my experience. I've only given a handful of times, but I cannot recommend tons of cow flesh enough. Marinate it, sear it, cook it, eat it. Also, cookies. Cookies and bloody meat.

Burs

Jan 28, 2011
Eat, drink fluids and rest.

After the first day if you want beer make sure its only one and that its Guinness or another Porter-style ale (lots of iron and protien in it and is prescribed by the UK NHS for patients with Eneamia)

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
similar.squirrel said:
There's a blood collect-a-thon in town tomorrow, and I've been promising myself to give some of the precious red stuff since I heard about it..... There's just one thing holding me back: I've got two days of pretty strenous work coming up on Friday and Saturday, followed by a day of intense consumption of alcohol and perhaps other substances.
if you've had a piercing or a tattoo in the last 12 months you can't give blood
(or if you've ever injected drugs you can't ever give blood, not my rules just letting you know)

I'm getting a new tattoo next week so this friday I'll give blood (I have a rare blood type so always give a bit before new artwork!)

godevit

Nov 21, 2008
From experience just eat and drink well before the donation and you would be fine.
I mean after donation i went running and playing basketball so it works for me.