A question to all girl gamers...

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
My dad and I played games when I was a toddler, then after he died, I stopped. One Christmas mum bought me a PS1 (which I still have) and it's all history from there.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I was always more interested in cars and transformers than traditional girly things and when I was little my dad would sometimes let me and my brother play on his old atari. So it just kinda happened naturally from there, and since I was a bit more of a loner at school, there wasn't the social aspect that young girls tend to have while boys play games.

Amarinth

Apr 9, 2009
Chancie said:
My dad always used to play PC games when I was little (Duke Nukem, Doom, Unreal, American Mcgee's Alice, etc.) and I always watched. Always. He had some games that I actually got mad at him if he played without me. xD
This sums my childhood up almost word for word.

I preferred watching over playing at first, because some of the games my dad played were quite scary and difficult. Others, like Tomb Raider, I didn't really like the shooting parts, but I loved the puzzle solving.

When I was a little older I started playing some of the games myself. When I began taking up an increasing amount of my dad's PC time he went and bought me an old Commodore 64 with tons of games for my birthday. That kept me happy for a long long time. =)

Later on I had a brief stint with console gaming when I got an N64, but it didn't last too long. I found I still preferred PC games, so I saved up my pocket money and the money from my weekend job to help buy my dad a new PC, so that I could have the old one. Been gaming pretty much non-stop ever since. :)

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Thank god, I'm not a female but I thought this was another "Women are oppressed in gaming thread"

Top work OP for creating a good girl directed thread, I sure am sick of the aforementioned threads.
One has to wonder why you would click on such a thread were you so angry at them.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Lisolet said:
I appreciate people wanting to know about us and what makes my gender tick but I think it may be too easy to stereotype us into being all one thing when in actuality, we're all things, just like the males are.
Thread = won. A triumph will be held in your honour.

Dr. Awesome Face

Jan 11, 2010
Im a guy but my sister and I both grew up with Blizzard games because my Dad is really into gaming. My sister freaking loves Diablo.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
I've always liked computers, so it was only a matter of time till I got my hands on games. I remember being addicted to those really short and cheap puzzle games, so when I saw my first 3D game I was hooked forever.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
EmileeElectro said:
I know you joined this thread because you thought us girls would be secretly having pillow fighrts and mud wrestles in pyjamas, but decieving you by saying it's a thread...
Of course, because that's what us men do in our threads.

Jinxzy

Jul 2, 2008
Lets see when I was growing up we got a nintendo. (I was about 4-5) and all I remember was that I was crazy for duck hunt. I would play it all the time and we went threw 2 guns. I would even leave my grandma's house to go across the street to the bowling ally to play the arcade games. Then as new systems came out I got them for christmas up until the PS2. Where then I work my butt off to get multi systems. Now I just cant stop playing games. I love them so much <3

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Caenis said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
I was just asking out of cuirosity, maybe I should of thought more about making this thread in the first place...
I'm totally ok with you making the thread. I appreciate the fact that you're trying to attain a better understanding of a gender that is not your own. And I think it's great that this thread is giving you an appreciation of how common the gaming experience is regardless of gender. Don't beat yourself up for this thread. Gender dynamics are still volatile, and the only way we will ever get to the point where gender is irrelevant is by being open to curious, open-minded dialogue.
Thank you for that. I can get to hard on my self, I need to stop.

Miss_Suzumiya

Mar 31, 2010
No brother. No friends at all in my childhood. That's my reason. I wanted something to be able to do when I was 6 that didn't need others to play; Thus, the GameBoy was bought.

May I ask why Video Games are viewed as a Male thing?

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Miss_Suzumiya said:
No brother. No friends at all in my childhood. That's my reason. I wanted something to be able to do when I was 6 that didn't need others to play; Thus, the GameBoy was bought.

Purchasing demographics. Why is Barbie considered a girl thing? I appreciate the whole push for equality, but people within their own genders aren't even equal to each other, let alone males being equal to females; we're all too different. You can't deny the existence of male domination in video games, as much as it's not right, it's there. It's more of a "who's going to shell out the bucks to pay for this game I made, and who should I cater said aesthetics toward." Also, most of the designers and producers are male as well, so the minds behind the creation are dominantly male as well.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
My friends played computer games, so I did too. Everyone played the prince of Persia in my class when I was a kid...

I got my first Nintendo when I was 7 or so, played it first at my cousin and friend. There was a time when I didn't play at all, but pokemon got me to buy newer consoles and got me back to gaming.

Miss_Suzumiya

Mar 31, 2010
SavingPrincess said:
Miss_Suzumiya said:

Purchasing demographics. Why is Barbie considered a girl thing? I appreciate the whole push for equality, but people within their own genders aren't even equal to each other, let alone males being equal to females; we're all too different. You can't deny the existence of male domination in video games, as much as it's not right, it's there. It's more of a "who's going to shell out the bucks to pay for this game I made, and who should I cater said aesthetics toward." Also, most of the designers and producers are male as well, so the minds behind the creation are dominantly male as well.
Huh. Odd. I guess I never noticed the whole male-dominated-industry thing...

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Miss_Suzumiya said:
Here I go stereotyping again (if you can call basing observations around clinical studies stereotyping I suppose), but women in general tend to be a bit more careful with their purchasing habits when it comes to certain things. They'll spend money like no one's business, but usually seek out high-quality and good value, not to mention having more patience with their purchases. Most of the "girl gamers" I know are content with not getting a "AAA" title until it comes out as a "greatest hits" or borrowing it from a friend. Those purchasing habits do not a thriving industry make. My girlfriend is addicted to $5 used DVD's even though we have a Blu-Ray player and an HDTV. For her, the value to cost ratio on a $19.99+ Blu-Ray isn't enough. Based on those clinical habits alone, it makes more sense to have fun round bouncies in your face all the time to take advantage of the more impulsive purchasing habits of the typical male gamer.

Miss_Suzumiya

Mar 31, 2010
SavingPrincess said:
Miss_Suzumiya said:
Here I go stereotyping again (if you can call basing observations around clinical studies stereotyping I suppose), but women in general tend to be a bit more careful with their purchasing habits when it comes to certain things. They'll spend money like no one's business, but usually seek out high-quality and good value, not to mention having more patience with their purchases. Most of the "girl gamers" I know are content with not getting a "AAA" title until it comes out as a "greatest hits" or borrowing it from a friend. Those purchasing habits do not a thriving industry make. My girlfriend is addicted to $5 used DVD's even though we have a Blu-Ray player and an HDTV. For her, the value to cost ratio on a $19.99+ Blu-Ray isn't enough. Based on those clinical habits alone, it makes more sense to have fun round bouncies in your face all the time to take advantage of the more impulsive purchasing habits of the typical male gamer.
Hahahahahahahahah XDXDXDXDXD
It's fun to be viewed as part of that stereotypical gender. XD The fun! The Humorous things you hear! XD Oh dear, I swear I'm cracking up XD

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Miss_Suzumiya said:
Hahahahahahahahah XDXDXDXDXD
It's fun to be viewed as part of that stereotypical gender. XD The fun! The Humorous things you hear! XD Oh dear, I swear I'm cracking up XD
Again, I think the age thing comes into play. There have been several studies on "gender blurring" done over the recent years. More boys are wearing makeup and tight clothes... more girls are getting into things like comics and games. Your generation and the one below you have been blurring the lines over the recent years; at the same time, you have to remember that people with purchasing power since the Nintendo came along, all the way up to the inception of the Xbox, are older, and the demographic is largely male.

Again, I blame you personally... you stereotypical teenage girl you.