A question to quickscopers.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
Now, let me first clarify my question by stating VERY clearly that I am IN NO WAY attacking Quickscoping as a tactic or indeed Quickscopers for doing it.

What I am more concerned with is that when I roll up in a random game, and then proceed with my normal tactic of activley moving around the map and Hardscoping people, I am then called a noob for Hardscoping by a gang (usually in clan form) of Quickscopers.

i.e. my question is this:

Quickscopers, what exactly is your problem with Hardscoping?

PS: I am not a camper. I do not merely sit in one spot and watch doorways and corners with my scope. What I do is to run around the map, and then try to hardscope enemies that I see.

In fact, what I do is very very close to quickscoping: taking about half a second to aim before I pull the trigger, and then taking cover if I miss and trying again. Most of the time it is a very sucessful tactic.

Yet does this really fall under the heading of noobiness?

Dec 14, 2009
Hardscoping is the only way you should be able to use a sniper rifle.

Quickscoping, for all intents and purposes, is an exploit that shouldn't be in any FPS. Making a weapon that can be used effectively at any range? Feck off.

BellHooks

Feb 16, 2011
Wait, so hardscoping is when you aim down the sight like people have traditionally done in first person shooters for over a decade and a half?

And people make fun of you for it?

I am so glad I stopped playing Call of Duty a long damn time ago.

Rewdalf

Usually Sacrastic
Jan 6, 2010
I refuse to call it "hardscoping" and wish to bludgeon to death anyone that does...
It's called "using a sniper rifle for its intended purpose", not "hardscoping"...
It annoys me that someone went as far as to make up a name for "sniping" that isn't sniping...
Because now when someone says "I'm a sniper", they immediately get asked if they're a quickscoper afterward.
"No dickhead, I'm a sniper!"

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Rewdalf said:
I refuse to call it "hardscoping" and wish to bludgeon to death anyone that does...
It's called "using a sniper rifle for its intended purpose", not "hardscoping"...
It annoys me that someone went as far as to make up a name for "sniping" that isn't sniping...
Because now when someone says "I'm a sniper", they immediately get asked if they're a quickscoper afterward.
Got it in one.
Preferably you should snipe from as long a range as possible to make yourself extra-badass.

Quickscoping hardly seems that effective either. I've only played two games of MW2 online, but on the killcam the quickscoper wasted 4 bullets trying to get me.

dogmachines

Mar 24, 2009
I don't really qualify myself as a quickscoper, but I suppose I do quickscope sometimes. For me, it's because you can't really effectively use a sniper rifle at closer ranges without doing it, especially in a game like Black Ops. That's not to say I don't hardscope, it's just that hardscoping is no good when the enemy is right there in front of you. Of course, quick scoping is a challenge. If you don't hit the first shot odds are they can kill you before you get off another. And I LOVE the challenge.

Rewdalf

Usually Sacrastic
Jan 6, 2010
AmrasCalmacil said:
Rewdalf said:
Got it in one.
Preferably you should snipe from as long a range as possible to make yourself extra-badass.

Quickscoping hardly seems that effective either. I've only played two games of MW2 online, but on the killcam the quickscoper wasted 4 bullets trying to get me.
Variable zooming into someones head and blasting it to bits from across the map with an L96 is the most satisfying feeling ever...
I've got a pistol for close encounters, and it's much more effective than relying on luck...
It also doesn't make you look like a gigantic cock...

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
Quickscoping seems like just kind of glancing at aiming and praying to be lucky. If you spend the extra second in the scope to be more accurate, you are considered a noob in COD? Glad I quit the multiplayer after 4, considering that that was the last COD game in my eyes.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Rewdalf said:
I have it even worse when I tell that to people hey say 'No you n00b quickscoping is how pros use a sniper you properly don't have the skill to do it' I tell them I was able to master quickscoping in about 10 second (not proud of quickscoping I just kinda had to) and they are like 'WELL YOU DIDN'T FUCKING MASTER IT THEN!!!' that's normally when I leave the conversation muttering about their stupidity.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
there's a difference between camping and actual sniping, but the line is blurred. here are two scenarios:

1. you hide behind an open door and pick off enemies who come through, looting the corpse for ammo and supplies afterward. you are alone, you are not supporting a friendly sniper or holding down a checkpoint, just racking up kills by hiding and picking off enemies from the same spot over and over. this is CAMPING. it's okay for a kill or 2 (ie. you know you're being followed, so you get the drop on em) but staying for the duration of the game (or at least a good part of it) is kinda a dick move.

2. you hide in a perch, picking off enemies from afar. you set up a nice sniper nest with plenty of failsafes (claymore, tactical insertion, whatever). you pick off enemy snipers as well as straglers on the ground. you mainly serve as support to your team, thinning the enemy numbers and preventing enemy snipers from doing the same. this is SNIPING. it is acceptable to stay hidden in a perch, in a bush, on the ground (even moving around) for the entire match. this is not camping, as it is an actual tactic.

I cannot STAND quickscoping... it doesn't take "skill", it just shows one's mastery of exploiting an irritating loophole as opposed to learning how to think and play the damn game like a member of a team. Treyarch had the right idea nerfing it for Blops, but fell victim to the massive tidalwave of tears from whiney 12-year-olds...

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
dogmachines said:
That's not to say I don't hardscope, it's just that hardscoping is no good when the enemy is right there in front of you.
Of course, your point is valid, but then what are side arms for?

I personally love the challenge of whipping out a pistol and finishing them off with that :)

Jack Macaque

Jan 29, 2011
BanthaFodder said:
Treyarch had the right idea nerfing it for Blops, but fell victim to the massive tidalwave of tears from whiney 12-year-olds...
Tears of joy last time I played, seems that the 12 year-olds have got it down pretty good.

dogmachines

Mar 24, 2009
Pirate Yoda Online said:
dogmachines said:
That's not to say I don't hardscope, it's just that hardscoping is no good when the enemy is right there in front of you.
Of course, your point is valid, but then what are side arms for?

I personally love the challenge of whipping out a pistol and finishing them off with that :)
My sniper class doesn't have a sidearm, part of the reason I had to pick up quickscoping was that I decided to put a launcher as my secondary to get Ghost Pro. There are better ways to do it, but I ended up having fun picking people off with the added pressure of defending myself up close.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Hardscoping is the only way you should be able to use a sniper rifle.

Quickscoping, for all intents and purposes, is an exploit that shouldn't be in any FPS. Making a weapon that can be used effectively at any range? Feck off.
'

Not to mention that quickscoping isn't possible with an actual rifle.

In the end though, sniper rifles don't even belong in a game where the maximum engagement range is 100 meters or less.

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
BanthaFodder said:
there's a difference between camping and actual sniping, but the line is blurred. here are two scenarios:

1. you hide behind an open door and pick off enemies who come through, looting the corpse for ammo and supplies afterward. you are alone, you are not supporting a friendly sniper or holding down a checkpoint, just racking up kills by hiding and picking off enemies from the same spot over and over. this is CAMPING. it's okay for a kill or 2 (ie. you know you're being followed, so you get the drop on em) but staying for the duration of the game (or at least a good part of it) is kinda a dick move.

2. you hide in a perch, picking off enemies from afar. you set up a nice sniper nest with plenty of failsafes (claymore, tactical insertion, whatever). you pick off enemy snipers as well as straglers on the ground. you mainly serve as support to your team, thinning the enemy numbers and preventing enemy snipers from doing the same. this is SNIPING. it is acceptable to stay hidden in a perch, in a bush, on the ground (even moving around) for the entire match. this is not camping, as it is an actual tactic.

I cannot STAND quickscoping... it doesn't take "skill", it just shows one's mastery of exploiting an irritating loophole as opposed to learning how to think and play the damn game like a member of a team. Treyarch had the right idea nerfing it for Blops, but fell victim to the massive tidalwave of tears from whiney 12-year-olds...
Very well put. Sniping tends to be done with sniper rifles from a far range away. camping tends to be holding a chokepoint closerange.

I agree with your definitions.

As for the whiny 12 year olds, well Treyarch has already said they need to shut up, and they tend to ruin gaming (the complainers. Go ahead, just look at Bungie's Halo Reach forum to see this in action)

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Personally I think sniping in FPS games could be considerably improved if it did two things:

-Have to be in Scope for a full second before any sort of accuracy is achieved

-Bullet Drop. This one isn't as implementable in COD, but other games that use larger maps (Battlefield) should definitely use it. It would balance the distance on rifles, so the user had to be good to use it at range. Maybe some battlefield titles already use this, but I've only played BC and it definitely doesn't.

CowsMoo

Jan 14, 2010
Krantos said:
Personally I think sniping in FPS games could be considerably improved if it did two things:

-Have to be in Scope for a full second before any sort of accuracy is achieved

-Bullet Drop. This one isn't as implementable in COD, but other games that use larger maps (Battlefield) should definitely use it. It would balance the distance on rifles, so the user had to be good to use it at range. Maybe some battlefield titles already use this, but I've only played BC and it definitely doesn't.
The first idea is implemented in Black ops. The snipers are made unusable by it. What they should do is make snipers two hit kills, with a one hit kill headshot. This has worked perfectly for decades for Halo, battlefield and Counter Strike (The scout, not the awp).