A Review of Halo Multiplayer: An Attempt to Reach the Rational Gamer in Us All

Fenixius

Feb 5, 2007
GIJED said:
It was a fair review, but I cannot stress enough that it is a personal opinion whether you like Halo or not. Personally I hate it, but I respect your opinion to like it. But I will not stand idly by while someone says Forge was intuitive innovative [Edit: fixed] because it brought a level editor to a console.
To be fair, while I did bring up the Theatre in this thread, I never claimed it to be innovative. It's just polished. Team Fortress/Source Engine Games don't have a replay function that's so simple to use and share with as Halo does. That's why I mentioned it; it's simple and effective.

In all honesty, it's also limited. That you can't rewind frame-by-frame can be frustrating, and the limit on saved pieces of media is worse. But even considering that, and considering that it's completely passive (as opposed to Source, where you must remember to activate it), I thought it worth a mention.

Oh, and with regards to Forge, it's amazingly intuitive relative to other level-editing suites for FPS (like SourceSDK). It's not a complete level designer, of course, but what's come out of such a limited suite is amazing. I once saw that someone had built the entire Millenium Falcon on the Foundry map. Rocket Race is a whole new gametype that's been created in Halo by the addition of the VIP race mode and Mongooses. A gametype I played had 300% speed, 50% gravity, infinite grenades and melee weapons only (sword/hammer). Called Gods of War, the gameplay was entirely different than standard Halo, with its own nuances and strategies. Such is hitherto unseen on Consoles. I fully recognize that Blizzard's StarEdit and WorldEdit programs have created more dramatic results (DotA, Tower Defense, etc), but that was on a PC and with an RTS. Also do I recognize TimeSplitters' impressive editing capacity. But to my knowledge, Free Radical never achieved the simplicity or community that Bungie have, which has resulted in a diverse and stunning array of creation.

That is why I brought up the Theatre. That is why I defended Forge. They are not the first of their kind, even on console. But they are to date the best.

Back to the multiplayer aspect, I've not seen a game that keeps stats as well as Halo 3 and http://bungie.net do. On console or on PC. I can keep track of a huge number of recent games I played (I have 448 that I can view; all of the games I've played), and have lifetime stats for each map, ranked or unranked, and even in the campaign. Kills with each weapon, personal heatmaps (kills and deaths), total medal count, achievements, all are recorded on the website for me to access at any given time. I can also download any of the last 30 screenshots I took, allowing me to transfer ingame screens to my PC. This I've never ever seen before on a console in any form, and it's something I personally value.

The only downside to Halo 3's multiplayer that hasn't been mentioned is what can happen if you're playing from outside of the US. I'm in Australia, on the west coast, and unless I set the game to "prefer good connection" by hitting X on the matchmaking screen, I'll suffer from hideous lag. And even when I have set the priority to good connection, I can still get some minor lag (which is more often than not unfortunate, but not game crippling) and must endure lengthened matchmaking times. It can take up to five minutes to get a game.

I don't really have anything else to add to this thread, but I would be interested to hear replies to my defense of Forge/Theatre and on my discussion of the website's functionality. I am aware that I come off as a fanboy here, but since we're discussing Halo 3's multiplayer, might as well discuss it completely, eh?

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Fenixius said:
I don't really have anything else to add to this thread, but I would be interested to hear replies to my defense of Forge/Theatre and on my discussion of the website's functionality. I am aware that I come off as a fanboy here, but since we're discussing Halo 3's multiplayer, might as well discuss it completely, eh?
To me, you don't come off as a fanboy. You come off as a reviewer.

Twentyfists

Aug 3, 2008
This review is pretty fair. I think most people don't like Halo because of the community, unless you're a douchebag at my school who says that they play COD4 over Halo because they like "realistic shooters." It would be realistic if you would limp around or crawl or be unable to move because you got shot in the foot or if you would die if you got shot once or twice. Thankfully, the game is fun, so it's not that realistic.

Archindar

Jul 28, 2008
GIJED said:
the huge powered suit is better looking on gordon freeman
No not really. Gordonfreemans suit is not an powered armor system bur rather an old typ of armor. And besides it looks like a giant barrel, just a personal opinion.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
GIJED said:
But i will not stand idley by while someone says forge was intuitive because it brought a level editor to a console. I do believe Tony Hawks Pro Skater has that honor on the ps2.
And the unfortunately oft forgotten Timesplitter's series, which had the first level editor for a FPS on a console. And, unlike forge, it allowed to create entirely new levels, instead of just adding on to preexisting ones.

Leon P

Jul 10, 2008
FINALLY A HONEST REVIEW OF HALO 3!
thank you good sir! you are my fav!
thanks for this honest, straight up review of a very good game MP game!

so many people are willing to bash this game just to fit in!

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
shufflemonkey16 said:
Squeakers

I like kids.
I'm saying nothing on this possible joke...

I think you are generalising, I know some VERY squeaky 20 year olds on live.

That was a good review.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Nice review. I had a couple of issues regarding your wording, but that's besides the point.

Good job.

joeshen

Dec 18, 2008
Perhaps one of the most "down to earth" reviews I've ever read. While I have some issues on grammar, that's besides the point when you can make people read through the entire thing, unlike some reviews on this board I've read.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
A halo review that didn't end in a holocaust of flame...huh...
Anyway, good review, you did a good job of giving a non biased review.

captain awesome 12

Dec 28, 2008
TheDukester said:
I have to agree with this. Halo 3 is an awesome game, and I want to play it, but unfortunately, due to the large number of d-bags that play it, I won't play more than 2 games in a row.

I just played a game of SWAT CTF, and my team got dominated, but that was fine. It was only when the other team proceeded to capture our flag, move it above their base (where I have, admittedly, no clue how to get to) and then just spawn kill us. Two of my teammates quit, so it was 2 on 4. And there was no point. If it was CoD4, I could understand that, since you get exp for every kill. But in Halo it just makes you look like a douche. Which is the whole point of this post--there are more d-bags on Xbox Live than anywhere else.
Understandable, with great multiplayer comes great douchebags

Beetlejooce

Dec 26, 2008
I define a halo douchebag as someone who throws a grenade inside my bubble shield.

If i have a bubble shield YOU DON'T THROW A GRENADE IN IT!

you just don't.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
I remember when I was an extreme halo fanboy. I wasted over 400 dollars on merchandise and the game so I think I might have some say when it comes to Halo. It gets boring. The only thing I can think of that truly is keeping it alive is the forge feature. And that still gets boring. It just doesn't really have much to do when you've unlocked all the achievements, and those new ones don't help either considering that there isn't much of a need to unlock it except for Recon armor but even still I'll have to wait until Halo 3: Recon comes out. Don't get me wrong your review does point out what is good about it but only in the short term.
Also in response to those douches I think that if we watch Yatzhee's review of Saints Row 2 that we can see why this is so common. If you give a player freedom he is going to want to fuck up everything.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Bravo, bravo!

Brilliant layout, well written and the word douchebagery is a great neoligism hahaha!

Well done, you have a great style and a great sense of humour!