A rocky start

ErGo

Feb 25, 2009
So I finally decided to pick up Baldur's gate 2, heard good things about the game. I couldn't find the first one. And damn, so far its pretty hard. The weapon stats and armor classes were completley unorthodox for me, needless to say I was pretty frustrated when I discovered that a higher armor class does not equal better defence. I threw away anything with an armor class that changed my overall armor class to anything lower than 4. The weapon damage system didn't make much more sence to me either, 1D5? What the hell is that supposed to mean, is 2D3 better? How the hell was I supposed to know 'd' meant dice, the number before d is the amount of "dice", and the number after 'd' is how many sides the "dice" have.(Note: This is not a rant, just my own incompetence really...)

Admittedly I should have done some research beforehand, I have never played any D&D games, but a more in-depth tutorial would have been nice. The game is pretty hard too, I've been having trouble keeping my party alive with all the traps and various goblin hordes, and the healing spells don't do much, potions are pretty scarce too.

But despite all that, I really really really really like the game so far, the story is interesting, atmosphere is pretty good, gameplay is fun ... well once I figure it out I'm sure it'll be even more fun. And even though I've just started, I can see myself replaying this once I finish.

So reader, what game(s) have you had a really rocky start with and why.

Oh and if you have played/still play Baldur's gate 2, feel free to throw in some pointers, I don't really know what to expect or what to look out for, just no spoilers. I'm playing as a Thief-Swashbuckler neutral-lawful character with the gameplay plan of "rob anything you can rob and talk yourself out of all possible situations", if that makes any sence.