A scientific Evaluation of Videogame Creatures

No-Superman10

Sep 6, 2008
So I had this idea a while back and finally decided to make it real. The basic idea is to make scientific autopsy reports. Similar to the ones found in XCOM.

So! I'll be putting up these reports if and when I think of them, if you have any suggestions then feel free to make them, or just post the report yourself!

Here goes...

Rathian

Initial thoughts
This could easily be the largest thing we've ever had to dissect. The damn thing weighs several tons and was far too big to take inside, we had to conduct the autopsy outside!

Physiology

Easily 40ft snout to tail, even with it's mouth closed the head is a little over 6ft. If not for the rows of razor edge teeth this beast could easily swallow me whole. A cursory examination of the teeth show they're a similar shape to that of most Sharks, though that is where the similarities end. Where a Shark's tooth is strictly pointed, the Rathian's tooth is both pointed and edged, a few quick tests show that the teeth can cut through almost anything organic. Combining this with the Rathian's formidable jaw muscles means that even an armoured human could be reduced to mere chunks.

The Rathian is the female of the species, field observations show the male, known as the Rathalos, to be smaller and less vicious, but no less dangerous.

The Rathian's tail and chin spikes are both laced with a paralysing poison, this is most likely used to cripple prey or hunters that would otherwise attempt to use the Rathian's low mobility against it and attempt to flank or run underneath the creature.

Biology
The Rathian is part of the ever-feared Wyvern family. (Note they are different from Dragons as Dragon's have four legs and prehensile wings, the Wyvern does not.

The Rathian's scales are very, VERY sturdy, direct impacts and attempts to cut the scales were of no effect, the only reliable method of causing damage to them was a heavy slash against the grain, even then it would require multiple strikes in the same area to breach the outer coat and start doing the creature any proper harm.

The Rathian's muscles are very sturdy and powerful, built to carry and sustain the creature's huge bulk. However, while strong, the Rathian is not very fast, most of the animals it preys on could easily outrun it, though this brings me to my next point.

The Rathian has a very large, very potent flame sac at the base of it's throat, it can be assumed that this is used as a method of attacking prey that would otherwise be too fast for the Rathian to catch on foot. (Additional, pass this information onto Dr. Crow, see if this can be used for anything.

**DR. J. CROW'S NOTE**
Sorry, this is no good, the liquids present in the Rathian's flame sac are far too volatile and unstable to do anything with. More information in my own report on this.

Behaviour
The Rathian is highly aggressive and carnivorous, known to attack and devour whatever it sees. Much like Lions, the Rathian does much of the hunting whereas the Rathalos stays back to guard the nests and dispatch rivals from other families.

That said, the Rathian's behaviour as a mindless killing machine are offset by just that. Both the Rathian and Rathalos are very stupid, they are easily lead into traps and will often continue to fight until they can barely stand, even in situations where any other animal would have long since fled.

While this may inspire the average hunter to boldly go forth safe in the knowledge that they can outsmart the beast, be warned: I have yet to meet one who can outsmart a fireball.

-End Report-

So yes, that's my report, I can write up more if this turns out to be popular. You're more than welcome to write up your own reports too!

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
No-Superman10 said:
A cursory examination of the teeth show they're a similar shape to that of most Sharks, though that is where the similarities end. Where a Shark's tooth is strictly pointed, the Rathian's tooth is both pointed and edged, a few quick tests show that the teeth can cut through almost anything organic.
Just being a little nit picky here, so feel free to take this with salt, but I'm pretty sure quite a few shark teeth aren't strictly pointed, but also serrated. Here's a reference image of teeth from different shark species.

Although there are some that don't have a serrated edge, so it's an easy fix by specifying a particular type of shark rather than saying "most sharks".

Personally I would think most dragons have teeth like alligators or crocodiles. Pointed and really thick at the base, good for crushing bone. Most of the creatures in Monster Hunter are large and based off dinosaurs. Crushing teeth would probably serve Rathian better than slicing teeth.

-------------
Overall, I like it though, you put a lot of effort into it. Rathian is one of my favorite video game dragons. Rathalos would be the next one right? I know Rathian and Rathalos have some visual differences. Maybe you could include that in your report?

No-Superman10

Sep 6, 2008
Eclipse Dragon said:
You make a good point, I hadn't really considered that. I only ever played the PS2 original, and that doesn't give you the best look at the Rathian's teeth.

And yes, I may well do the Rathlos next, but I'm open to suggestions.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
No-Superman10 said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
You make a good point, I hadn't really considered that. I only ever played the PS2 original, and that doesn't give you the best look at the Rathian's teeth.

And yes, I may well do the Rathlos next, but I'm open to suggestions.
I'm just going to throw this out there. I've been wondering about the anatomy of creatures like Kirby and Loco Rocos. It would be really interesting to learn how these guys work.