A series is needed

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Right so I pretty much have nowhere to turn for this since 4chan is useless and in my experience you guys are good for most forms of media.

I need a new animated series to watch, so far I've finished the whole of Avatar, Teen Titans and Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm up for pretty much anything, anime or western, fantasy of sci-fi. Kinda just hoping for a list of what you guys love that seems to match what I like. Much obliged Escapists.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
CODE-D said:
Id suggest a google search if its that broad or Adventure Time.
Yeh I probably should be more specific
.Good animation
.At least a minor focus on relationship and character growth
.Preferably a large scoping adventure

Also what the hell is Adventure Time?

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Threads like these usually make want to post entire lists, but I'm going to refrain from doing so.

Steins;Gate - This is the series I always recommend, it's my favorite show. A Sci-fi thriller about time travel, with likable characters and a commendable plot. Tolerance for quirkiness is required, however.

Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari - I'm never sure if I should recommend this or not, due to it's sheer lack of normality. I mean that in a good way. Heavy Rapid fire dialogue and character driven story about supernatural oddities. God I love this S***.

Clannad/Clannad ~After Story~ - Romance which will rip your heart apart. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend doing so. (I guess this description isn't too motivating, is it >.>) Tears have been shed during this one.

Yeah, I'll stop here...

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Afro Samurai, or Shaolin Showdown... :p

Those are epic cartoons!
Ah I forgot about Shaolin Showdown. Damn that was an awesome show.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Death Note - watch it!

ReBoot - old-ish one, one of the first computer animated shows (in the mid to late 90's, I believe) but I really enjoyed it. It's about the life inside a computer in a city called Mainframe. Rather funny at first and stays so for most of the time but later seasons do get darker.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Gabanuka said:
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Afro Samurai, or Shaolin Showdown... :p

Those are epic cartoons!
Ah I forgot about Shaolin Showdown. Damn that was an awesome show.
:p That is was!! I ordered the first series the other day! :D

Also the X-Men cartoon from the 90s now come in a handy 'Ultimate' box-set and that is a great series too!

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN A REAL MANS ANIME
and then theres... uhm... naruto and one piece?
If you're after more american cartoons then you should try Justice league.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
Please I beg of you, people. For the love of God, do not bring up the show that must not be named. You know the one. The one that causes flame wars. That one certain show based on that certain toy with that certain fanbase. NO, I don't care if it's great and that he might just enjoy it. Please, keep this from turning ugly.

That being said, Adventure Time is pretty nice.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
uneek said:
Please I beg of you, people. For the love of God, do not bring up the show that must not be named. You know the one. The one that causes flame wars. That one certain show based on that certain toy with that certain fanbase. NO, I don't care if it's great and that he might just enjoy it. Please, keep this from turning ugly.

Already watching that one. And I'm gonna ask again, what the heck is Adventure time?

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Do you mean recent ones, or anything animated ever?

I dont watch that much animated stuff (certainly not anime) but - here are a few i enjoyed!

Men in black - the animated series. Pretty damn old but one of those few cartoons that were not completely geared toward children. If you enjoyed the full films you should enjoy these ^_^

Roughnecks - starship troopers: Again based off the film! Since it was made for daytime tv A LOT of the blood and violence has been taken out but it is still surprisingly enjoyable.

And yeah, justice league is quite good also, hell most of the "super hero comic based" tv stuff is still really good. 90:s spiderman FTW :D

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
Gabanuka said:
uneek said:

Already watching that one. And I'm gonna ask again, what the heck is Adventure time?
"...the series...features the adventures of two best friends: Jake the Dog and Finn the Human. Their adventures are nonsensical, crazy, and bear more resemblance to a group of kids playing with action figures than a coherent story... which is probably why it's so much dang fun."

Whenever I think of describing Adventure Time, I always think of TVtropes perfect summary of it. That's it in a nutshell. It's got other characters like a Pink-haired Princess named Bubblegum, a purple cloud that talks like a valley girl, a vampire teenage girl who plays guitar, and a raimbow colored dragon that speaks japanese. It's on Cartoon Network. It has the same meme value as The-Show-that-shall-not-be-Named.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
uneek said:

Toys? OOOHHH... you mean transformers, right?
Seriously though, it's a good show.
OT: ''The show that must not be named'' is an obvious choice, although I can understand if you're a little put off. I myself usually skip the opening sequence because it's sickeningly girly. The names of characters and the letter at the end of each episode I can put up with, but that intro...*Shiver*
Or Adventure Time. One of the only shows I still watch on Cartoon Network.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
The Justice League cartoon from 2005 is amazing. Avenger - Earth mightiest heroes, albeit only one series is pretty damned good. American Dad! is the funniest of Seths animated efforts.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
OK so I've started watching Adventure time.... I'm gonna go back to watching Adventure time now.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Ghost in The Shell.

If you can handle the dialogue, that is.

sms_117b said:
The Justice League cartoon from 2005 is amazing.
It is, I recommend it too.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
Popadoo said:
uneek said:

Toys? OOOHHH... you mean transformers, right?
Seriously though, it's a good show.
OT: ''The show that must not be named'' is an obvious choice, although I can understand if you're a little put off. I myself usually skip the opening sequence because it's sickeningly girly. The names of characters and the letter at the end of each episode I can put up with, but that intro...*Shiver*
Or Adventure Time. One of the only shows I still watch on Cartoon Network.
I skip the intro too. Though, only because I'm afraid it'll get stuck in my head forever.

I used to wonder what friend...

NO!

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
A lot of people seem to bring up Justice League. Was it anything like Batman:tas?