A Shadowy New Villain Menaces Agent Carter

SmapdyAge8

Jan 15, 2015
Silverspetz said:
Does the concept of "false equivalence" mean anything to you?
Yes, though what is your point? You did a massive quote but never specified what you were referring too.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
SmapdyAge8 said:
In the meantime though we are stuck with a show that is both boring and insulting. Not to mention the real cardinal sin of the show, having so little meaningful tie-in to the MCU (so far).
Very scary. I think I'll stick to American Horror Story, thanks!!!!!

ITMT, I can't wait for the Netflix original series. I'm so hoping we can have some fun.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
SmapdyAge8 said:
Silverspetz said:
Yes, though what is your point? You did a massive quote but never specified what you were referring too.
You made a big deal about how the show is "stereotyping" white males and compared it to stereotyping ACTUAL minority groups like blacks or Jews. That is a false equivalence. "Reverse" racism or sexism isn't really a thing you know. Society at large is never going to punish someone for being white or male, but it CONSTANTLY punishes people for being female or belonging to an ethnic minority. In other words, stop pretending that this show is somehow "insulting" because it brings up the rampant misogyny in the forties. (That's another thing BTW, there is nothing "supposed" about how women were treated back then)

SmapdyAge8

Jan 15, 2015
Bwhahahaha. I can't tell if this is a serious reply or a clever trolling attempt. I think I'll go check my white CIS male privilege now.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
MovieBob said:
the show's intriguing, still-emerging mythos.
Super boring back story, imho. This series is SUCH a dissapointment. Had high hopes man... once.

"give us our first major character death". Lol! ANYONE who didn't just see it can remember that guy's name? I do; it was Random Archetype Asshole #3; he was my FAVOURITE!!!! :'(

"probably Angie (Lyndsy Fonseca) the automat waitress whose been trying to be Peggy's BFF since episode one"
More than likely, but I am not going to find out...

Adieu! Don't be sad for me, I'll be very happy with Agents of SHIELD, Arrow and The Flash etc.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Silverspetz said:
SmapdyAge8 said:
Silverspetz said:
You made a big deal about how the show is "stereotyping" white males and compared it to stereotyping ACTUAL minority groups like blacks or Jews. That is a false equivalence. "Reverse" racism or sexism isn't really a thing you know. Society at large is never going to punish someone for being white or male, but it CONSTANTLY punishes people for being female or belonging to an ethnic minority. In other words, stop pretending that this show is somehow "insulting" because it brings up the rampant misogyny in the forties. (That's another thing BTW, there is nothing "supposed" about how women were treated back then)
Okay. Think carefully about what you just said and try to find out what the problem with that statement is.

I actually agree that in Agent Carter there is no problem with the depiction of males (at least not yet, these are 3 episodes of a tv show, there is much time to explore the majority of characters), but you are doing yourself no favour in bringing sexism and racism together. You are hurting the argument much more than you help it.

I really like the show, as far as I can tell it gives a relatively accurate depiction of the 50s (or post-war-era). Carter, Jarvis and some other characters have far more personality than the characters in Agents of Shield.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
the silence said:
Silverspetz said:
SmapdyAge8 said:
Silverspetz said:
Okay. Think carefully about what you just said and try to find out what the problem with that statement is.

I actually agree that in Agent Carter there is no problem with the depiction of males (at least not yet, these are 3 episodes of a tv show, there is much time to explore the majority of characters), but you are doing yourself no favour in bringing sexism and racism together. You are hurting the argument much more than you help it.

I really like the show, as far as I can tell it gives a relatively accurate depiction of the 50s (or post-war-era). Carter, Jarvis and some other characters have far more personality than the characters in Agents of Shield.
I'm not the one who was "bringing racism and sexism together" buddy. That would be the other guy when he compared portraying the way men ACTUALLY treated women in the forties in a TV-show to the way minority groups have been negatively portrayed since forever.