A Song of Ice and Fire "Battle Damage" Action Figures Are the Day's Best Collectibles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
A Song of Ice and Fire "Battle Damage" Action Figures Are the Day's Best Collectibles

Mick Minogue's hand-made A Song of Ice and Fire "Battle Damage" action figures are both amazing and messed up in all the right ways.

I don't watch the Game of Thrones television show but being surrounded by those who do, I've heard enough about it to know that bad things tend to happen with alarming frequency. So even though I'm not familiar with the details, I still "get" what's going on with these action figures created by Irish artist Mick Minogue [http://www.mickminogue.com/].

The woodcuts were created as part of a "Winter is Coming: A Song of Ice and Fire" show at the Ltd. Art Gallery [http://www.ltdartgallery.com/] in Seattle, but they aren't actually based on the Game of Thrones television show. Minogue explained on his blog that contributors were told not to reference the HBO show, and were instead to "take influence" from George R.R. Martin's books. "This was a great idea for the artists to go deep into their imaginations and not work off likeness of or create homages to the actors involved in the TV series," he wrote.

[gallery=2158]

There are only eight A Song of Ice and Fire "Battle Damage" action figures, although Minogue said he might make more, and while the work itself is fantastic, with a wonderful level of detail in both the cutting and the paint, it's the packaging that really seals the deal, turning the one-of-a-kind pieces into the kind of thing you'd see hanging on a toy department rack - a brilliant touch by any measure.

Source: Mick Minogue Made This [http://mickminoguemadethis.blogspot.ie/2014/02/a-song-of-fire-and-ice-action-figures-1.html]

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
What an amazingly inspired piece of art. Sure is refreshing compared to the typical plastic stuff you find.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
These are incredibly, and that Theon toy is a major major major spoiler. (Of course, it's been spoiled two seasons early on the TV show, but still.)

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Not keen on the art myself but the names and descriptions on the box are hilarious, "Jaime Lannister with one handed self pity action", "Viserys Targaryen, Gold Plated edition" and "Robb Stark mashup edition"

All of them are pretty funny.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
"Khal Drogo - With Lifeless Zombie Action"

How does that qualify as a form of action to begin with? There be a contradiction in there! *insert suspicious narrowing of the eyes*

Bad jokes aside, this feels like it would be an excellent waste of money if I were stinking rich.

Captcha: french phrases
Pourquoi dis-tu ça, Captcha?

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
Cool, a Ned Stark action figure, but seriously I'm not buying this unless you find the rest of it.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I know nothing about the cost of producing figures like these, but $200 sounds a bit much for what look like pieces of wood with paintings on them. And they misspelled Jaime Lannister.

But a really cool idea nonetheless. I especially chuckled at the descriptions: "Viserys Targaryen - Gold plated edition", "Khal Drogo - with mindless zombie action" and "Robb Stark Grey Wind - mashup action".

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
bartholen said:
I know nothing about the cost of producing figures like these, but $200 sounds a bit much for what look like pieces of wood with paintings on them. And they misspelled Jaime Lannister.

But a really cool idea nonetheless. I especially chuckled at the descriptions: "Viserys Targaryen - Gold plated edition", "Khal Drogo - with mindless zombie action" and "Robb Stark Grey Wind - mashup action".
If those are one-off or handmade specials, $200 is not too bad.
Taking in account the materials, saw it by hand, paint and glue it by hand, package it and you will hit that pretty soon when you have about $15-20 per hour to spend on workman's wages.
But thats based on my own experience in working with and painting wood.