a strange idea i had about combine RTS and FPS

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
My idea is relatively simple in theory. I go the idea from MGS (albiet not an RTS or FPS). The game revolves around armies of nanomachine controlled soldiers. The soldiers are controlled in the standard way but you can click on any soldier at anytime and enter their mind and control them individually in an FPS mode

I think this might work well if implemented correctly and could provide a little more humanity towards the otherwise faceless drones of most RTS games. It could also add a little variety, want to see how many enemies are ahead then jump into the brain of a recon class. There's also the age old RTS problem where a single persistant enemy somehow dodges all you teams shots, why not simply jump into the mind of a soldier and just pop him in the head.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Valkyria Chronicles is somewhat similar, but a lot more.........awesome.

Its got elements of third person shooter, RTS, TBS, RPG, JRPG and a little bit of PITA going for it too.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
It's been done, but it never ends up being very popular because the perceived complexity puts most people off.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
The problem is that FPS skill would override tactics. Part of RTS is rock paper scissors unit countering based on stats and numbers. A good FPS player could completely override that balance on skill alone, making it more just "spam as much of the most effective unit as you can" rather than any sort of strategy.

somerandomguy76

Sep 6, 2008
I had a similar idea, except the player can't jump into any soldier at any time. Instead when two units engage in combat, it changes to FPS mode and a sort of Battlefront style game emerges.

That, or the player can only enter FP mode a given number of times, regulated by some kind of card system.

Oct 2, 2010
What could have been. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SDkQrE0DC4&t=95]

(Prior to the MS acquisition, there was a lot of talk of making it just such an RTS/FPS hybrid)

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Battlezone combined vehicle combat with RTS. That's a small step from a FPS/RTS. Same POV just slower and smaller.

Edit: and you could play BZ on foot. That was just a small and dangerous part of the game.

Garret866

Aug 17, 2011
i think something like this would only work in multiplayer - aka - any battlefield with a commander (can command squads and use airstrikes, but can also join the action himself)
because in single player that would involve a lot of controls to remember, a high learning curve, and players feeling that the RTS part is a Chore

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
veloper said:
Battlezone combined vehicle combat with RTS. That's a small step from a FPS/RTS. Same POV just slower and smaller.

Edit: and you could play BZ on foot. That was just a small and dangerous part of the game.
And that was a completely awesome game, even if it was a bit unwieldy at times. I loved driving around on Mars and Venus.

ChaoticLegion

Mar 19, 2009
I'm afraid that this has already been done.

Rise & Fall - Civilizations at War
http://www.riseandfallgame.com/hero-command-mode.php

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
teh_gunslinger said:
veloper said:

And that was a completely awesome game, even if it was a bit unwieldy at times. I loved driving around on Mars and Venus.
If there's one game that deserves a remake it's BZ. The vehicle interiors could be improved with a modern HUD that gives the player a greater sense of where the known units are.

Tsunimo

Nov 19, 2009
Try Dungeon Keeper 2.
It's an old RTS game with the ability to control one of your minions at a time, giving that minion increased stats while under your control.
I never considered it to be a major part of the game, but it was certainly fun, and kind of seems like what you are describing.
Look it up.
Buy it.
Love it.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
veloper said:
teh_gunslinger said:
veloper said:

If there's one game that deserves a remake it's BZ. The vehicle interiors could be improved with a modern HUD that gives the player a greater sense of where the known units are.
Yes! And add to that greater draw distances so you really can see those evocative and alien landscapes! I guess I'd like ArmA 2 in space, really.

genericusername64

Jun 18, 2011
That's what I thought halo wars would be, It would have been so much cooler. Although you'd need a cutting edge pc to play it.

Also wtf captcha it looks like you spilled water all over yourself

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
Garret866 said:
i think something like this would only work in multiplayer - aka - any battlefield with a commander (can command squads and use airstrikes, but can also join the action himself)
because in single player that would involve a lot of controls to remember, a high learning curve, and players feeling that the RTS part is a Chore
Haha, that describes Brutal Legend literally word for word.