A Stray/Feral Cat Is Living In My Veggie Garden. What Do I Do?

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Dragonbums said:
I think others made this suggestion for me, but putting a bowl out full of food should just do the trick honestly.

If possible I would (for the sake of breeding and diesease) take it to the vet to get it shots, spayed and neutered if possible and let it on it's merry way. Hell doing that to strays tends to dramatically reduce the amount of wild cats in a particular area.
I've considered doing this, but while it's not exactly terrified of me it's definitely not comfortable and wouldn't let me touch it.

The closest vet is nearly an hour's drive too...
BiscuitTrouser said:
If you wanna do your community a favor and it trusts you i could suggest at least getting it spayed if youre going to keep feeding it. I mean if its female and it wants to stick around and youre gonna feed it well... you might end up supporting a whole litter when that thing hits heat.

Dragonbums said:
I think others made this suggestion for me, but putting a bowl out full of food should just do the trick honestly.

If possible I would (for the sake of breeding and diesease) take it to the vet to get it shots, spayed and neutered if possible and let it on it's merry way. Hell doing that to strays tends to dramatically reduce the amount of wild cats in a particular area.
Oh someone already gave this good advice.

Feral cats actually do have use. Disney land employs them as pest control, and governments keep neutered male cats to act as a deterrent to other cats due to the fact they are territorial, you might find if you feed your new cat up so its bigger than the rest and its a tom-cat that it keeps other feral cats off your property. Guard-cat.
Interesting. I am not sure if it's male or female (didn't even think to look!).

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Coruptin said:
can you call pest control or something? it's not your cat and it's not your responsibility. you have no obligation to look after it. ignore it and it'll go away. don't try to remove it yourself though, either ignore it and wait for it leave or call pest control to do it for you.

edit: i can't believe i have to add this but

DONT CONTINUE FEEDING THE CAT
DONT LEAVE OUT A WHOLE BOWL OF FOOD FOR THE CAT
DONT GIVE THE CAT ANY ATTENTION AT ALL
UNLESS BY SAYING THAT YOU DIDNT WANT A PET YOU ACTUALLY MEANT THE OPPOSITE THIS IS LITERALLY THE WORST THING YOU COULD DO
This may sound weird but by feeding it, it almost feels like I have assumed some responsibility over it.

While I don't want it as a pet exactly, I would not be averse to it continuing to live in my garden. I may even open my garage to it when the snow comes.

What I absolutely do not want though is to attract more ferals to my house. One little cat I felt sorry for - not all that much of a burden. 5+? My neighbors would have kittens!

...Yes, I've been waiting to say that for a while.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
If you know someone that would be willing to take the animal, ask them. Have them come over and join you in feeding the cat, trying to befriend it. Then if the animal seems like it's friendly to humans, let them take the animal home so they can care for it.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
If you know someone that would be willing to take the animal, ask them. Have them come over and join you in feeding the cat, trying to befriend it. Then if the animal seems like it's friendly to humans, let them take the animal home so they can care for it.
Won't happen sadly. The 'noraneko' in the area are viewed as more of a pest than a pet. In fact, if I was to make it obvious that I was feeding one/deliberately keeping it in my yard people would quite probably be annoyed at me.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
If your fear is that the cat will wait for more food until it starves, rest assured! cats are many things, but they aren't stupid. I live in the middle of the forest, so strays and other such animals appear from time to time. I'll generally feed a stray once, just in case it's the first food it's had in a while. After that they'll stick around for a day or two to see if they get more, and when they don't they just drift on.

It is true that many diseases are common among strays, so use caution and discretion in interacting with it, though.

If you don't want a pet, and the cat doesn't do anything with its body language to make you believe it's aggressive toward you (cats, unlike dogs, tend to favor the "flight" side of the "fight or flight" instinct where larger animals are concerned, thus, a cat that shows aggression toward humans is likely rabid) then you don't need to feel guilty about leaving it alone. Cats are supernaturally good at hunting mice and birds, so he can probably take care of himself.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Starbird said:
This may sound weird but by feeding it, it almost feels like I have assumed some responsibility over it.

While I don't want it as a pet exactly, I would not be averse to it continuing to live in my garden. I may even open my garage to it when the snow comes.

What I absolutely do not want though is to attract more ferals to my house. One little cat I felt sorry for - not all that much of a burden. 5+? My neighbors would have kittens!

I can tell that you're a very empathetic guy and that is more often than not a valuable trait to have, but you have to realise that it can be a weakness as well. Don't let your feelings cloud your judgement. The cat could have any number of diseases and leaving food outside is sure to attract other animals, not just cats, which just compounds the possibility of disease and getting bitten or clawed.

Cats are natural predators and are more than capable of keeping themselves alive, as you noted many feral cats not only survive the winter they produce offspring as well. The cat in your garden will either go back to hunting or may find someone else to take care of it.

It's not your responsibility. You fed it a few times out of charity, but you have no obligation to continue doing so. It isn't dependent on you and trust me the cat will not have any ill will towards you if you stopped feeding it.

If in the future you feel that you do want to raise a pet, thoroughly research the care the pet will require and if you believe you are up to the task either adopt one from a proper shelter or buy a kitten/pup/whatever from a trusted reputable store.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Coruptin said:
Starbird said:

I can tell that you're a very empathetic guy and that is more often than not a valuable trait to have, but you have to realise that it can be a weakness as well. Don't let your feelings cloud your judgement. The cat could have any number of diseases and leaving food outside is sure to attract other animals, not just cats, which just compounds the possibility of disease and getting bitten or clawed.

Cats are natural predators and are more than capable of keeping themselves alive, as you noted many feral cats not only survive the winter they produce offspring as well. The cat in your garden will either go back to hunting or may find someone else to take care of it.

It's not your responsibility. You fed it a few times out of charity, but you have no obligation to continue doing so. It isn't dependent on you and trust me the cat will not have any ill will towards you if you stopped feeding it.

If in the future you feel that you do want to raise a pet, thoroughly research the care the pet will require and if you believe you are up to the task either adopt one from a proper shelter or buy a kitten/pup/whatever from a trusted reputable store.
Mm. Probably sage advice. I'll see how it goes.

I must say this experience has made me want a pet :). I don't want anything hairy that will dust up my apartment, so considering some sort of parrot...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Starbird said:
Mm. Probably sage advice. I'll see how it goes.

I must say this experience has made me want a pet :). I don't want anything hairy that will dust up my apartment, so considering some sort of parrot...
Be ready for stinky bird cages though! xD Birds can make an insanely foul smell with their waste, just fyi. Not trying to discourage you from getting a pet, just informing you that it's not all roses and sunshine with birds, they've got their own messy upkeep too.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Is calling animal control or some sort of animal shelter an option? They could always send it to a good home.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
I still think the car should be given a chance, but it's up to you. While I agree that one shouldn't be too soft hearted, lest they are taken advantage of, sometimes showing kindness is better than to ignore or spite.

Harpalyce

Social Justice Cleric
Mar 1, 2012
If you want to go the full softhearted route, and/or have the cash enough to go get it neutered, look into getting a non-lethal/have-a-heart trap. Put a towel over it (cats like nice cozy caves), bait it with some combination of peanut butter and tuna or japanese equivalents thereof, and then catch a possum. I mean uh then catch a cat. (I live in the South of the US. Catching a possum is something people trying to catch feral cats happens so often that it's barely worth mentioning.)

It will probably hiss, spit, and hate you, but since Japan doesn't have rabies you can probably put on some thick garden gloves and wrassle it out without too much fear of death before taking it to your local vet. If it chills out and actually seems to like you, congrats you've got a pet; if it doesn't chill out congrats you've got a cat that likes sticking around your garden probably scaring away small rodents from eating your stuff. Either way, you'll be doing a community service if you get it fixed. Feral cats actually have a pretty big impact on local ecosystems, and a lot of shelters and vets offer sponsored days for doing animal fixing for cheap in a desperate attempt to just get people to bring their barn cats in to stem the tide of feral kittens eating innumerable songbirds.

Of course, I'm speaking from the POV of somebody living in Georgia, USA, where feral cats and dogs are two really big problems. (ffs, one of my dad's acquaintances died a few years ago from literally being pulled apart by a pack of feral dogs.) It's probably not that big a deal in Japan, but the local ecosystem will still thank you if you find a way to do the right thing and get the cat fixed, then decide whether you want it as a pet or as a feline guardian angel for your tomatoes.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Feed the kitty cheap cat food. It's not too expensive, only a cheap brand. It's much better for the little guy than human food. Human food can be extremely harmful to all animals and should never be given unless it's the very rare treat. You could be saving his life to give him cheap kitty food.

Think of it this way; he is asking you for help

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Well, you can see at as an advantage. If it strolls around in your vegetable patch a lot it can help you keep away vermin that'd eat your vegetables. A mutually beneficial relationship. Y'know, how we ended up making cats our pets in the first place.

And yeah some cheap cat food would do if you don't mind it sticking around outside. If you can afford it though, get it spayed/neutered at least.

LeQuack_Is_Back

May 25, 2009
If you do go the food route, be careful about how much you put out. In my experience, cats don't eat too much in one sitting, and leaving extra food out will, as others have mentioned, attract other strays.

In theory, if you only give him/her a little at a time, s/he'll stay around for the consistent meals, but still be hungry enough to hunt and take care of pests.

Definitely consider getting them fixed if you can manage it, though. There are too many damned cats in the world already, as much as I love the little guys.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Starbird said:
Weird question I know, but maybe someone has had a similar experience.

A few days ago an old, fairly unhealthy looking cat started following me on one of my night walks. I was eating a piece of fried chicken and felt extremely sorry for the thing, so I gave it a little. It must have followed me home, and taken up residence in the vegetable patch just outside my front door, where it meows pitifully at me every time I come home/leave.

Sometimes I feel bad enough to give it table scraps, which may be a mistake - but it just looks so unhappy and hungry.

Now I live in a very small town in rural Japan. There are no animal shelters anywhere nearby. There are a lot of stray/feral cats in the town, so I cannot exactly give it away.

However I don't really want a mangy old cat for a pet (I don't really want a pet at all).

What would you do in my position? Keep feeding it? Stop feeding it and hope it goes away (and doesn't die waiting for food in my veggie garden)?
Well you've got a bit of a quandary there. Your ethics are conflicting with your means of living/personal limits.

If I may make a suggestion, pets aren't necessarily what you'd call "live in" creatures. A common misconception about pets is that they have to be part of your home, but there are a lot of creatures who we humans feed or otherwise support in some manner that don't need to be looked after full-time. Wild birds are a great example of this, as people regularly put out feeders for them. Technically that's a form of pet, as it's modifying the conduct of another creature within a certain context.

If you'd be willing to do, this stray cat could become such a pet. You don't need to give it a home, you just need to give it a chance. Really, all that comes down to is the occasional snack left out from time to time. It doesn't even necessarily have to cut into your budget, as even just some scraps of raw meat from your usual meals can help it immensely. Also, if the cat is looking a little rough around the edges you could do it a solid and give it some fish oil. Not only is the stuff good for people but it does wonders for a cat's fur and health in general. Not sure how much it costs in Japan, but in Canada a bottle of fish oil pills goes for about $20 or about 2000 Yen at the current currency exchange. A single bottle should last you most of the year if you give it to them once every two days.

An important thing to note is that if you do intend to support the stray cat, You're going to have to set up some ground work with it to ensure you're not suddenly supporting half of the neighbourhood's strays.

1) Don't leave food out all day. The longer the food remains out, the more likely some other creature will find out you're a source of food. So only bring out food at a certain time, say for example once you get back from work.

2) Form some sort of signal with it. The next few times the cat is around when you give it food, make some sort of distinctive noise when you give it some food. That way you've got an easy way to bring it around without attracting other animals, as it and only it will associate that sound with food.

3) Create a food box for it. Get a cardboard box and cut two connecting sides off, and put one of the the box's remaining sides up against up against a wall, with the other side facing out and away from the from the house. This not only gives the cat a specific place to come to, but will stop it from roaming around the outside of your house and block the view of the food you put out while still giving the cat the feeling of a way out, thereby decreasing the chances another stray will see the food or your stray waiting for food. Also, cats love boxes, so putting one out for it will make it feel safer and improve its behaviour when you're around.

That being said, if you really can't afford to support the cat long-term or are adamant about not having a pet, just stop feeding it. While it will spend a couple of days mewling at the door, it will eventually figure out that the proverbial well has run dry and move on, though those few begging attempts are going to hit you right in the feelings. However humans are creature of habit, so likely the cat has already found at least one other food source provided for by humans, so don't feel too bad about it.

Hope this helps. Situations like these are always tough on a person's empathy.

P.S. If you can afford it, I would recommend you try and getting it fixed once you've built up enough trust with it. Part of the reason why there are so many strays is that the population is largely unchecked, so decreasing their population will help the quality of life of the species immensely. Although I'm usually loathe to do it due to my personal belief of not wanting to end a creature's lineage, it's the most humane way to help the strays of the species.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
erttheking said:
Is calling animal control or some sort of animal shelter an option? They could always send it to a good home.
Unfortunately not. Shelters are not really big out here in rural Japan. The closest thing would be calling the local police, who would simply put it down as a nuisance animal.
Harpalyce said:
If you want to go the full softhearted route, and/or have the cash enough to go get it neutered, look into getting a non-lethal/have-a-heart trap. Put a towel over it (cats like nice cozy caves), bait it with some combination of peanut butter and tuna or japanese equivalents thereof, and then catch a possum. I mean uh then catch a cat. (I live in the South of the US. Catching a possum is something people trying to catch feral cats happens so often that it's barely worth mentioning.)

It will probably hiss, spit, and hate you, but since Japan doesn't have rabies you can probably put on some thick garden gloves and wrassle it out without too much fear of death before taking it to your local vet. If it chills out and actually seems to like you, congrats you've got a pet; if it doesn't chill out congrats you've got a cat that likes sticking around your garden probably scaring away small rodents from eating your stuff. Either way, you'll be doing a community service if you get it fixed. Feral cats actually have a pretty big impact on local ecosystems, and a lot of shelters and vets offer sponsored days for doing animal fixing for cheap in a desperate attempt to just get people to bring their barn cats in to stem the tide of feral kittens eating innumerable songbirds.

Of course, I'm speaking from the POV of somebody living in Georgia, USA, where feral cats and dogs are two really big problems. (ffs, one of my dad's acquaintances died a few years ago from literally being pulled apart by a pack of feral dogs.) It's probably not that big a deal in Japan, but the local ecosystem will still thank you if you find a way to do the right thing and get the cat fixed, then decide whether you want it as a pet or as a feline guardian angel for your tomatoes.
Cowabungaa said:
Well, you can see at as an advantage. If it strolls around in your vegetable patch a lot it can help you keep away vermin that'd eat your vegetables. A mutually beneficial relationship. Y'know, how we ended up making cats our pets in the first place.

And yeah some cheap cat food would do if you don't mind it sticking around outside. If you can afford it though, get it spayed/neutered at least.
Let's see how it goes. As I said, I will need to be both very careful not to get seen feeding it and not to attract more animals. Will probably end up caving in and buying a bit of cat food next time I'm out shopping.

Getting it fixed is a more difficult matter, since it would mean first trapping the thing and then driving a significant distance, as well as paying a heavy fee. On a teacher's salary, a bit tricky.

albino boo said:
3 words all you need to know

Hah. I was actually waiting for something like this :D.

Well you've got a bit of a quandary there. Your ethics are conflicting with your means of living/personal limits.

If I may make a suggestion, pets aren't necessarily what you'd call "live in" creatures. A common misconception about pets is that they have to be part of your home, but there are a lot of creatures who we humans feed or otherwise support in some manner that don't need to be looked after full-time. Wild birds are a great example of this, as people regularly put out feeders for them. Technically that's a form of pet, as it's modifying the conduct of another creature within a certain context.

If you'd be willing to do, this stray cat could become such a pet. You don't need to give it a home, you just need to give it a chance. Really, all that comes down to is the occasional snack left out from time to time. It doesn't even necessarily have to cut into your budget, as even just some scraps of raw meat from your usual meals can help it immensely. Also, if the cat is looking a little rough around the edges you could do it a solid and give it some fish oil. Not only is the stuff good for people but it does wonders for a cat's fur and health in general. Not sure how much it costs in Japan, but in Canada a bottle of fish oil pills goes for about $20 or about 2000 Yen at the current currency exchange. A single bottle should last you most of the year if you give it to them once every two days.

An important thing to note is that if you do intend to support the stray cat, You're going to have to set up some ground work with it to ensure you're not suddenly supporting half of the neighbourhood's strays.

1) Don't leave food out all day. The longer the food remains out, the more likely some other creature will find out you're a source of food. So only bring out food at a certain time, say for example once you get back from work.

2) Form some sort of signal with it. The next few times the cat is around when you give it food, make some sort of distinctive noise when you give it some food. That way you've got an easy way to bring it around without attracting other animals, as it and only it will associate that sound with food.

3) Create a food box for it. Get a cardboard box and cut two connecting sides off, and put one of the the box's remaining sides up against up against a wall, with the other side facing out and away from the from the house. This not only gives the cat a specific place to come to, but will stop it from roaming around the outside of your house and block the view of the food you put out while still giving the cat the feeling of a way out, thereby decreasing the chances another stray will see the food or your stray waiting for food. Also, cats love boxes, so putting one out for it will make it feel safer and improve its behaviour when you're around.

That being said, if you really can't afford to support the cat long-term or are adamant about not having a pet, just stop feeding it. While it will spend a couple of days mewling at the door, it will eventually figure out that the proverbial well has run dry and move on, though those few begging attempts are going to hit you right in the feelings. However humans are creature of habit, so likely the cat has already found at least one other food source provided for by humans, so don't feel too bad about it.

Hope this helps. Situations like these are always tough on a person's empathy.

P.S. If you can afford it, I would recommend you try and getting it fixed once you've built up enough trust with it. Part of the reason why there are so many strays is that the population is largely unchecked, so decreasing their population will help the quality of life of the species immensely. Although I'm usually loathe to do it due to my personal belief of not wanting to end a creature's lineage, it's the most humane way to help the strays of the species.
I like this response a lot. Especially the food box idea! My major concern would be attracting more strays, which I do not want.

Can get fish oil (or actual fresh fish) extremely cheaply. Heck, I fish a fair bit myself.

Again, not looking for a lap cat. But I wouldn't mind a furry friend living in my shrubbery. And as others have said, it would be a disincentive for the bloody crows that love to devastate my veggies!

I hear you on getting it fixed, but as I said earlier - just not feasible on my salary, the physical difficulty of catching it and taking it to the vet aside.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
shootthebandit said:
Try to discourage it. Buy a water gun and spray it everytime you see it. It will learn that you arent friendly and it will go away

I would hate to tell you to kill it but if it doesnt go away then it might be for the best. Im going to get a lot of hate for that but any animal that is a wild vermin living in your garden you would do the same particularly one which could spread diseases
Uhm I don't think cats are considered a pest, also there is no sound evidence that they are a danger to public health, on the contrary they actually help with getting rid of vermin, snakes e.t.c. I'm pretty sure killing stray animals is illegal in most countries, other than being extremely cruel, stupid and mean to kill a defenseless and harmless animal for no reason.

Homosapian

Sep 17, 2014
It seems to me you have three options;

1. You could sneak into a neighbours garden and plant food. Don't let the cat or the neighbours see you put it there though. If it all goes to plan and the cat takes the bait, it will officially be their problem.

2. As a last resort you could load it's food up with sleeping pills, follow it around until it passes out. Then drive it miles away, somewhere it won't know. It is feral after all, it's not like someones going to miss it.

3. Buy some cat urine online and sprinkle it around the garden. The feral will quickly think another more dominant cat is taking over the territory, and will leave.