A Suicide Squad Extended Cut Has Been Announced

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Burnouts3s3 said:
I know Suicide Squad wasn't everyone's cup of tea (personally, I enjoyed it but also acknowledged the film was very flawed in numerous ways), but I'm excited for an Extended Cut. I enjoyed the original cut, so I'll probably enjoy the Extended Cut.
same here. i had a good time watching it but certainly few things were missing that could have helped the movie. hopefully this may clear things up.
they did it with x-men days of the future past as well with its "rogue cut" edition that showed how they have freed her to replaces ellen pages character (forgot her movie name) and it made a bit more sense than in the original version.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Really starting to wonder if we can trust anything that comes out of the mouth of someone even slightly involved with the DCEU.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Oh, of course.

They had me going for a minute, there.

Igor-Rowan said:
Is DC trying to make this into a common practice, this is basically movie DLC, that the people who went to the cinema will have to pay extra to see the full experience, and it's not like the extended version made Batman v Superman that much different, it was just more filler with one or two motivations cleared.

To this day I'm still pissed about Watchmen, that had a theatrical release, then a director's cut that was an extended version and then ANOTHER extended version, bringing a 2.5 hours of "eh", to a staggering 3.5 hours of "meh"
I found the extended cut of BvS to be much, much better, sometimes in some subtle ways. It filled in a few plot holes - the whole desert scene and the Senate hearing subplot - and greatly improved the pacing.

As for the idea of movie DLC - that's exactly what I was just thinking. I think WB feels that there's enough money to be made in peddling alternate edits to justify creating those edits in the first place. Whether or not the extensded cut of Suicide Squad will be any better is a totally different question. The film itself was thoroughly mediocre, with the positives (Harley Quinn, Amanda Waller) drowned out by the negatives (Enchantress, the entire plot.)

Samtemdo8 said:
But damn watching the early Star Wars movies in their entirety felt long. The longest being Return of the Jedi, after the Jaba the Hutt part it felt like it drags.
My friends and I went on a Star Wars marathon before seeing The Force Awakens, and it struck me dumb just how goddamn boring the middle part of Return of the Jedi was.

Basically, they have their cool speeder-bike chase and then it's like...half an hour of Ewoks, right between the second and third acts. I know people rag on the Ewoks a lot, but they don't do it enough. Those motherfuckers just show right up and immediately start wasting your time.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I don't think this will save what's wrong with it. Batman V Superman felt like they didn't have much breathing room, this did not feel like that. This came down to just frankly not very well conceived concepts smashed together in a ham-fisted and cynical way. The Characters are not really "bad guys" they're good guys with bad problems for the most part. The Joker is a freaking mess on all counts.

And I think Margot Robbie is great choice for her, I just think that the script for this movie was copy fucking pasted from some generic action title with no thought given to it what so ever.

HOW CAN A MOVIE ABOUT ARGUABLE SOME OF THE BEST VILLAINS IN ALL OF NERD CULTURE HAVE THE MOST FORGETTABLE VILLAIN OF ALL TIME AS IT'S MOVIES PRIME ANTAGONIST? This made absolutely no sense to me what so ever... The Soundtrack is cheaper Guardians of the Galaxy rip off.

I wonder how far the food chain you have to go down at Warner Brothers before you find someone who gives a shit about the source material, or even making movies in general when it came to this project, cause the more I think about it, the more I start to feel actually pretty angry that I paid to see this turd.... Putting a poster of Margot Robbie, next to my TV while watching any better Will Smith movie would be worlds better than this nonsense.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
bastardofmelbourne said:
My friends and I went on a Star Wars marathon before seeing The Force Awakens, and it struck me dumb just how goddamn boring the middle part of Return of the Jedi was.

Basically, they have their cool speeder-bike chase and then it's like...half an hour of Ewoks, right between the second and third acts. I know people rag on the Ewoks a lot, but they don't do it enough. Those motherfuckers just show right up and immediately start wasting your time.
You're not the only one who did a marathon - I watched all six episodes in chronological order (perspective changed on each one), and I will agree that Return of the Jedi does lag in places. That said, of the OT, I feel that RotJ feels far too slow at times, Empire moves far too quickly, while A New Hope hits the goldilocks zone, starting slow, but steadily increasing in pace. Partly why it's now my favorite movie of the now seven main ones.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
sagitel said:
so DC releases movies in an unwatchable state, makes a trainwreck that everyone wants to see, then releases the SAME movie but not neutered and makes money AGAIN from people. this is genius.
make people pay twice for the same movie
Blame Lord of the Rings Extended Edition.
Those were already excellent films in their edited for cinema form, the extended edition simply expands on their quality rather than desperately hope to make quality appear as has been the case with BvS and most likely Suicide Squad.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
bastardofmelbourne said:
Oh, of course.

They had me going for a minute, there.

Igor-Rowan said:
Is DC trying to make this into a common practice, this is basically movie DLC, that the people who went to the cinema will have to pay extra to see the full experience, and it's not like the extended version made Batman v Superman that much different, it was just more filler with one or two motivations cleared.

To this day I'm still pissed about Watchmen, that had a theatrical release, then a director's cut that was an extended version and then ANOTHER extended version, bringing a 2.5 hours of "eh", to a staggering 3.5 hours of "meh"
I found the extended cut of BvS to be much, much better, sometimes in some subtle ways. It filled in a few plot holes - the whole desert scene and the Senate hearing subplot - and greatly improved the pacing.

As for the idea of movie DLC - that's exactly what I was just thinking. I think WB feels that there's enough money to be made in peddling alternate edits to justify creating those edits in the first place. Whether or not the extensded cut of Suicide Squad will be any better is a totally different question. The film itself was thoroughly mediocre, with the positives (Harley Quinn, Amanda Waller) drowned out by the negatives (Enchantress, the entire plot.)

Samtemdo8 said:
But damn watching the early Star Wars movies in their entirety felt long. The longest being Return of the Jedi, after the Jaba the Hutt part it felt like it drags.

Thank goodness the final part of Return of the Jedi completely redeemed the movie:

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
sagitel said:
so DC releases movies in an unwatchable state, makes a trainwreck that everyone wants to see, then releases the SAME movie but not neutered and makes money AGAIN from people. this is genius.
Those were already excellent films in their edited for cinema form, the extended edition simply expands on their quality rather than desperately hope to make quality appear as has been the case with BvS and most likely Suicide Squad.
It has nothing to do with Quality, it has everything to do with WB making more money cutting footage from films and re-release them in pricy director's cut to make a couple of extra bucks.

Heck if they keep doing this on purpose theatrical movie will finally die.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
sagitel said:
It has nothing to do with Quality, it has everything to do with WB making more money cutting footage from films and re-release them in pricy director's cut to make a couple of extra bucks.

I don't doubt there's a profit motive at work, however I also maintain that theater's wouldn't run the extended editions as the regular release since for each single showing they can fit two other regulation length movies in and sell more tickets. So it makes sense to only release the extended editions on home media. Don't forget that in terms of ultimate/extended/director's cuts the Lord of the Rings are unique in that they had an exceptional amount of removed material. We aren't talking 15-20 minutes, we're talking nearly a full hour each.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
sagitel said:
It's all part of an elaborate DC marketing system. You can see it explained in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ebZVowE9-Y (Joker reacts to Suicide Squad. Skip to 3 minutes in.)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I don't think this is some sort of cash grab by WB. People who see a movie at the theaters they like, will often buy the home release (regardless if it has extra footage or not). All this 'Directors Cut' will achieve is maybe a slight bump in home sales from the people who read the lackluster reviews and decided not to see it during the theatrical release.

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
sagitel said:

This isn't remotely a new phenomenon. Blade Runner had about 5 different cuts released on video, DVD etc. over the years. And yet films have not died over the past 34 years. Having said that I think there is a better feeling towards new cuts of good films.