A Topic You Care About...Step 2 Initiated

Envy Omicron

Apr 27, 2013
I was digging through the forgotten backlogs of an E-list internet celebrity when I discovered a very intriguing thought experiment. Unfortunately, most of the responses were either deleted or fell into obscurity, so I decided to post a similar experiment here. The experiment was split into 2 steps, the second of which I will only reveal in an edited version of this post after I've recieved an adequate number of responses, because saying what it is now would defeat the experiment's purpose.

The first step is this: I want you to think of a topic, any topic, that you have an opinion on, and that you could talk about forever and never get tired of. Say what the topic is, what your opinion is, and why you hold that opinion.

EDIT: Alright, I think it's time for Step 2. I want those who posted a topic they hold an opinion on to assume the role of an opposing view, and to come up with the best argument they can for that view. I advise that you avoid blatant strawmen.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, the problem with me and my family is that we're guilty of the 'multiple topic ensemble' which leads to a comga line of asides that may or may not get back to the original subject, in which what was said about said subject might have actually been forgotten in the first place.

But I digress. I took a number of philosophy courses and did rather well overall with him. I took to existentialism like so many fish to water, I aced rationalism by proving that god can be an asshole, and I outsmarted my own professor in meta-physics, my papers having gotten deep enough that he did not understand them until I had to explain it to him, effectively brow-beating my grade up through sheer applied knowledge. I can use it to augment my creative imagination, theorize the existence and mechanics of anything in any universe by any set given rules as per the point of discussion. It has allowed me to take many perspectives and leap into a point of discussion from an unexpected angle that some are not prepared to deal with.

The courses I took are further augmented by the good use of the rest of the knowledge I accrued in life. Psychology courses giving me insight into the mental universe has opened up all the many ways that I can anticipate personal reaction and see where a person's perspective might go before it actually does. Predictive behavior and pattern recognition is something I accel at, so this could only make it greater. I have a number of beliefs, but in proper serious discussion I prefer to be open enough to hear what the other party has to say, to know what the other side thinks, regardless of whether or not I intrinsically believe it. There might be. I just have to see where it all fits in, like that weird though I had one day where I wondered if all major religions were pieces of an all-encompassing doctrine that leaves nobody out. That would be weird AND unexpected.

Suffice to say, I am opinionated on some things, obviously. For instance, Hobs can go die in a fire, because his life philosophy is no way to live unless you like sleeping with one eye open forever. And I will not stand people using meta-physics merely to bullshit by saying that any legitimate argument against a given line of thinking can be dismissed by saying that such a thing does not enter into that universe of discussion. In some cases, that might be true, but in all the others, it is a total cop-out. Philosophy is one of the oldest tools of learning and not to be used to say 'I'm right because you're not in my little world'. The funny part is that I could probably write papers that have no intrinsic meaning, or in fact that the whole point of it was to HAVE no meaning, and it would be considered rather impressive and deep without actually having tried anything. But that, dear fellows, is more to do with my keen ability to write than cogitate, and that is another story.

So, how am I doing so far?

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
A topic I can always talk about...

Oh! Extraterrestrial life (or science/astronomy/biology if that is too vague)!

My opinion? It exists, for a start. And I agree with Dawkins in that I think it would probably resemble life on earth too a certain extent, but who really knows? Also I don't think it has visited earth. I am not a scientologist.

Hope you get more replies, I want to see where this goes.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Guess I'll have to go with faith and mysticism, or religious influence.

I see it as (primarily) fraudulent organizations who use power of deception and illusion to use people, usually while preaching divinity or superiority. I do advocate personal religious experience, and meditation however.

Why do I hold these beliefs? Because I was quite capable of hallucinating a religious experience as an agnostic, all it takes is for audio and visual centers to be stimulated beyond other brain functions. For people to say god exists and he demands worship, sacrifice or charity. Takes a special kind of ignorant self-righteousness or incredibly sinister deceit.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
LBTQ rights.

I believe that love and sex are so important parts of life that you can't go around acting like anybody needs your permission to have them. I also believe that people who condemn non-traditional relationships are just weirded out by what they see as odd, and since they can't say "It's wrong because I find it weird," they need to make up some excuse. Like, say, "It's unnatural!" (but believe me, sexual attraction is the most natural thign there is), "if everyone were gay mankind'd go under!" (which obviously isn't gonna happen), and other stuff that isn't what made them anti-LBTQ but what they use as an excuse. The exception are people who are religious, and half of the time would have been anti-gay anyway and the other half are doing what they feel God wants them to even though ti doesn't feel right.

Basically, to be anti-LBTQ is to deny others the right to love and sex for no good reason.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Heh, I care about quite a few topics but lets see, legal freedom of speech is one I'm always willing to defend. I think legally restricting any kind of speech, with the exception of clear libel and public safety (for example, shouting 'fire!' in a crowded theatre), is a detriment to society as it potentially risks preventing useful criticisms and opinions from being voiced. It's easy enough when you're in a large majority of public opinion to say 'hate speech is bad, so why shouldn't it be banned?' but then when you are suddenly in a minority you have little to defend yourself with when the majority decides to ban your speech, for example see the Russian ban on 'homosexual propaganda'.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Why auras are stupid and why I am going to punch you if you keep on talking about them.

For hours and hours with my dad. He say stuff about souls and I'd have to correct him with that essentially he's talking about electrical signials in your brain, but then he goes right back to the unprovable mumbo jumbo.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Well, I?m quite passionate about existentialism, nihilism, LGBT rights, and films. Reason being that I have a lot of time to think about the world and how I, as an apparently living, sensing human being, relate to it. And I can?t stand the fact that it seems like one of the minorities it?s socially ?acceptable? to discriminate against (e.g. campaigns against gay marriage and ?gay propaganda?, the ignorant dismissal of transgender people?s identities) are the LGBT community. Oh, and I like films, reviewing about them, talking about them with other people, and discussing their themes.

DiscoRhombus

Jan 6, 2014
There's very little I feel like I could talk forever about. Most of the things other people have brought up are hostile subjects which (from what I've seen on this site) only bring up arguments and outrageous opinions. I wouldn't enjoy discussing those things endlessly, especially not with some of the people I've seen on the forums here. It would be incredibly frustrating to say the very least.

I suppose competitive gaming, with another like-minded individual. I've spent hours upon hours watching pro Street Fighter, MVC3, Starcraft and DOTA with friends, there's nothing I enjoy quite so much as seeing people master video games. For me they're more intriguing than real sports because they have limitations. It's an even playing field where the only thing that comes into play is your skill and composure. It's all about interpreting those, playing to your strengths, meta-gaming/mind-gaming your opponents.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Moral relativism. (Opinion in a nutshell: Yup, it's totally relative!)

Refugees. (Opinion in a nutshell: Surely we can help them more than we do and we can at least not demonize them.)

Military history. (Specifically Australia in WWI, the Eastern Front of WWII and the Vietnam War.)

I couldn't lecture on these things for long, but I could chat or debate about them for ages.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I care deeply about freedom of speech and stand strongly opposed to censorship of almost any kind. While I'm also strongly in favor of other broad reaching freedoms, speech is almost certainly the most important. Contrary to what many believe, our freedoms on the whole are not so much protected by the gun as by the pen. I hold this opinion because I have traveled extensively to places where freedom of speech is not explicitly granted and have seen what happens to people when they are robbed of free expression. Censorship is tyranny and tyranny is the enemy of civilization.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I care about the Armored Core series. It is my favourite video game series and I have many opinions concerning it, especially the latest release, Armored Core Verdict Day.

1. I think that the newer games lead to a pervasive meta and I hate that. In particular, attacks being ineffective when corresponding defence on an opponent is higher leads to the rapid uptake of builds that have good combinations of defences, higher than typical attacks. The evidence is clear when you look at the leaderboards and discover strings of players all using the same build. The idea was, I assume, to force players to work as a team to cover all defences by limiting defences for individual ACs, and also by locking defence types to leg types (so for example, where in previous games you might have different quad legs catering to different defences, in ACVD all quad legs are only strong in one specific defence). It doesn't work like that. Players need ACs that will work on their own. And that's what I see online. Teams of individually well-rounded, safe dual BR dual rifle heavies/meavies, or other individually strong builds.

2. Part variety needs to increase, and fake part variety needs to go. By fake part variety I mean the practise of making parts that are basically all-round inferior to other parts in the same category. More of a nitpick but a bugbear of mine is that within categories, there are several parts that essentially look the same with some minor differences. This is psychological stagnation as players go for the more advanced parts and happens to correspond with a lack of stat variety.

3. Speaking of which, there are hardly any fucking stats to consider for many categories of parts, and with what stats there are, FROM Software is completely inept at varying them. Instead of making pulse gun A lighter but shittier in every way than pulse gun B, perhaps increase the pellet count and ammo and decrease the drain and range, meaning you have two different weapons instead of the weapon you should obviously use and the weapon nobody touches. Continue to do this for 5-6 weapons with unique part models and voila no complaints from me.

4. NPC interaction is DRASTICALLY underutilised. Even worse in the most recent games, but never that great, and with a little cost and effort, could be improved so fucking much I can't believe they don't do it. For a start, have NPCs do things while the game progresses, and have those things impact the storyline, even if only in a scripted way. But have the player able to take on any of the 'arena' missions at any time, and depending on the timing, events change. If you take everyone out immediately for cash, nothing interesting happens and you get no wingmen. Otherwise, NPCs could show up as enemies or allies, form company alliances, have sidemissions when you sortie with them enough. Also, if you're part of a large movement, for fuck's sakes SHOW US THE REST OF THE FACTION. In ACV you were part of a 'resistance', but you literally did not see a single other member the whole time. 4 voices on the phone, and you were informed that an entire army was waging war on your behalf while you were in a mission seeing nothing in the same area except fireworks in the background. Not even comms chatter.

Also, bring back NPCs changing their ACs over time. Also, have NPCs comment on your AC when you begin a mission with them, e.g. if you're both tanks they might say "Ha...and I thought we were a dying breed." If you have a sniper quad they might say "Don't point that thing at me" or "Good to see someone got long range covered" or "What are you doing? You'll miss out on all the fun" - with different lines for different characters. In fact, a good effort of this last suggestion ALONE would make the experience 10 times better for me. Except they're trying to gear the game more towards online than off,

5. WHICH IS A FUCKING STUPID IDEA IN MY OPINION. The single player of Armored Core has always been great, and doesn't need to be compromised for the constant territory team stuff. They can coexist. I like being in a team and doing team battles, but the extent to which the single player has suffered both content-wise and structurally to accomodate it is unnecessary.

6. Also go back to companies' infighting being the plot. I like the exceptional pilot evolution pulveriser stuff, but it has always been the final move after a game of undertones and companies fighting amongst themselves. Distinct companies making themed parts with naming systems, with affiliated NPCs and bases, which hire you for contracts. The 'factions' of ACVD are bullshit, they're just three generic groups all buying parts from the mysterious group that develops the parts. They have no individuality, there is no company-specific briefing, working for one is no different from working for another and they all have the memory of a goldfish. I would change this too, making company variety like we saw in ACfA, several companies all vying for power, except I'd go further, with company affiliation possible, leading to rare and experimental company-specific parts and company-exclusive contracts. You'd also be limited to contracts from companies that are on good terms with the company you join. If you want to defect, there's an escape mission, company-specific, at any time, and once during the plot you are actually prompted in case you overlook or don't consider it. If you defect twice, no-one but the newest company will have you and the original two will send company-specific AC assassins in a dual AC battle mission. If you defect from the newest company they are destroyed shortly afterwards with plot consequences. There will be a storyline for defectors who betray to this extent, as well as one for all-rounders who never affiliate, as well as company-specific ones for loyal affiliates. If a company is destroyed during the plot, you have a choice between the two or three that absorb the company's researchers.

Additionally, you can build your own company, depending on the investment you put in and rewards from missions. For example, you may be given a contract to destroy a lab, but while there evacuate some of the scientists for your own base. However, if you use experimental parts from a company to speed your own development without their consent, they send an AC to destroy you. If you fail this mission, you lose a random selection of the parts you own and your company is destroyed. It would be intentionally difficult to complete this path, but if succeeded, unique parts along the way and a unique ending.

I really could go on for quite a while. I haven't even gotten into back weapons, hover legs, tank imbalance, why I don't like weapon tuning, the pathetic enemy variety in recent games, why I really like the retrofit parts of ACVD even though I hate the visual approach among regular parts, and how ACVD is basically what ACV should have been.

I also have strong views on refugees, censorship, the environment, and other similar things, but I wouldn't be able to output a monologue like I can for AC.

EDIT: The changes towards multiplayer team-based focus were for the better and to help retain new players and grow the playerbase, making the series more viable in the long run. The similar part models are to save on costs, as FROM does not have a large budget and was pushed for time. It is better to have two similar weapons than one weapon without variation. The peripheral stuff is not important to the series' appeal, which is the customisation and gameplay, and time constraints mean that the extra content would only be appreciated by a niche of the community while the majority are invested in the online conquest mode. Also, given FROM's attempts at characterisation at all in AC games, chances are the NPCs would be hammy and terribly voice-acted, and the dialogue would be predictable and shallow, as well as the side missions and so on. Basically, improving the singleplayer is a waste of time because multiplayer is what will grow the player base and keep the series afloat. It is also for this reason that stats have been simplified and weapons less varied, as the series has a reputation for being obtuse that can only hurt its appeal to new players.

As for the others I briefly mentioned, can't even think of good arguments against. And I didn't believe any of the bullshit I spouted about AC either. If you can't cater to your one fucking niche who like the games, you're making the wrong game.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
Envy Omicron said:
The first step is this: I want you to think of a topic, any topic, that you have an opinion on, and that you could talk about forever and never get tired of. Say what the topic is, what your opinion is, and why you hold that opinion.
Well, I'm unsure about the "never" get tired of part, but d'oh well.

Topic = Sensitivity
Opinion = Why does everyone everywhere, especially on the innernet nowendays, cry over every little insult? It's a fucking e-person, who'll never ever be better than you or (almost) anyone else in the grand spectrum of humanities future. Grow a thicker god damn skin. An insult is an opinion. Opinions can be ignored. Sure its a different story if you're being bombarded with comment after comment. But if that's the case, look on the gorram bright side - you managed to become so important that you rallied a hundred separate people (or a samefgt posing as a hundred) to come after you. But if one little arseface tosspot, such as myself for example, ruffles your feathers, just ignore me. And this is just thinking in internet terms. Religion/politics, now there's an ocean of over-sensitivity that could die off and make the planet a better place.

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Gorrath said:
I care deeply about freedom of speech and stand strongly opposed to censorship of almost any kind. While I'm also strongly in favor of other broad reaching freedoms, speech is almost certainly the most important. Contrary to what many believe, our freedoms on the whole are not so much protected by the gun but by the pen. I hold this opinion because I have traveled extensively to places where freedom of speech is not explicitly granted and have seen what happens to people when they are robbed of free expression. Censorship is tyranny and tyranny is the enemy of civilization.
Does censorship of things like child pornography count as tyrannical?
Sorry, it's not really related to the topic at hand, but I had to ask. I've never gotten a proper answer from anyone.

Captcha: welcome to earth. Funny that, like I said before my favourite topic is aliens.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Thomas Barnsley said:
Gorrath said:
I care deeply about freedom of speech and stand strongly opposed to censorship of almost any kind. While I'm also strongly in favor of other broad reaching freedoms, speech is almost certainly the most important. Contrary to what many believe, our freedoms on the whole are not so much protected by the gun but by the pen. I hold this opinion because I have traveled extensively to places where freedom of speech is not explicitly granted and have seen what happens to people when they are robbed of free expression. Censorship is tyranny and tyranny is the enemy of civilization.
Sorry, it's not really related to the topic at hand, but I had to ask. I've never gotten a proper answer from anyone.

Captcha: welcome to earth. Funny that, like I said before my favourite topic is aliens.
The purpose of banning the distribution and viewing or even handling of child porn is to criminalize the demand side of the equation. All freedoms are to be measured before their impact on others in the society. The banning of child porn is no more tyrannical than banning the act of shouting "fire" in a crowded public place with the intent of causing a panic. In this light, such hedging of our freedoms is not tyrannical because of the extraordinarily bad outcomes of allowing it. However, any such hedging should only be considered when the outcomes are shown to be extraordinarily bad for the well being of other private citizens. I could go on to explain in further detail, but I don't want to turn this into an essay if I've sufficiently answered your question. Of course I would be happy to talk more about it as well (hence why I picked it for my topic in this thread)

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Gorrath said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Gorrath said:

The purpose of banning the distribution and viewing or even handling of child porn is to criminalize the demand side of the equation. All freedoms are to be measured before their impact on others in the society. The banning of child porn is no more tyrannical than banning the act of shouting "fire" in a crowded public place with the intent of causing a panic. In this light, such hedging of our freedoms is not tyrannical because of the extraordinarily bad outcomes of allowing it. However, any such hedging should only be considered when the outcomes are shown to be extraordinarily bad for the well being of other private citizens. I could go on to explain in further detail, but I don't want to turn this into an essay if I've sufficiently answered your question. Of course I would be happy to talk more about it as well (hence why I picked it for my topic in this thread)
Yeah that makes sense. So basically things that harm people can be censored. Thanks for clarifying.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Thomas Barnsley said:
Gorrath said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Gorrath said:

Yeah that makes sense. So basically things that harm people can be censored. Thanks for clarifying.
Well, just to be totally clear, I wouldn't want to sum it up as "Things that can harm people" since that is a very loose and broad term. One could claim some kind of "harm" from almost anything. I prefer to characterize it as "Speech or expression which creates direct, extraordinary harm to an individual or individuals." So something like lying about someone to intentionally damage their reputation would be illegal, as that would cause them great personal harm. Calling someone a bad name might harm them, but would not be illegal. Child porn demonstrably causes great harm to the children portrayed in the video/images, and this meets the criteria. Pornographic pictures that are drawn of under-aged characters (while seriously disturbing) do not directly harm anyone, and thus do not meet the criteria.

There is more at work here in regards to porn as a whole and the way it interacts with free speech rights, but again I'm culling my answers for the sake of brevity lest I greatly derail the intent of the thread.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
I like aviculture (why is that coming up as a misspelling?), particularly of passerines (why is THAT coming up as a misspelling? Get it sorted, Escapist spell check wizards) which is a fancy word for songbirds. I only really know much about the species found in Ireland though.
I'm not really quite sure how to give an "opinion" on it; it's not one of those topics. "I think birds are cool and stuff, innit" is the best I can really do here.

Huh. "Innit" isn't a misspelling.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
I could talk for an endless length of time about Dota. Both the good and the bad of the game, as well as the various theories and hero combinations. The metagame, the pro scene, how valve really needs too look into the servers at some point. I like the game, though opinion wise, I'm not totally sure its an opinion piece. I guess if I had to sum it up "It's got a learning curve like a cliff, but its a cliff worth climbing" is suitably pithy.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Kaiju Movies.

I like them.

I hold this opinion because they are awesome.

And as someone pointed out to me recently, one of the few topics that can get me to "come out of my shell" in a social situation. I could be quiet all evening (not a shyness thing, I'd just rather listen than chat) but apparently if a window opens up to discuss who was in the right in the battle of Godzilla vs. Biollante I perk right up.