A tragic day at Ascot racecourse

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Today, me and my family went to Ascot to see the horse racing, as a birthday present for me.

As is traditional when going to see horse racing, I bet on every race today and won myself about £240. That's all good and well but... I feel awful about it.

Let me explain, there's a horse that I had been wanting to bet on all day and when the race finally came, he ran an amazing race and won by 2 lengths. I was cheering and shouting "hooray" but it was a hollow victory because of what happened next. Around the last bend, Frankie Dettori (A well known jockey) fell off his horse (Rewilding, a very, very good horse). At first, I didn't think this to be a big deal as they fall off all the time. The horse he was riding continued running and crossed the line waaaay back in last place (of course). Upon closer inspection, Rewilding was running on three legs. The bone in his front right leg had snapped in half and was hanging off.

This... shocked me because I knew what was to happen next. The horse was put down in front of the stands (behind a curtain) and I felt all the happiness from the day drained from me.

Basically, I just wanted to hear what people think of this; if they think horse racing is right and if they wanted to ask any questions.

R.I.P. Rewilding.

P.S. Dettori was fine. He walked himself into the ambulance.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
So they put him down straight away?
At first I thought that sounded wrong, but if it was in a lot of pain, then they may have done it a favour.
RIP Rewilding indeed.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
They put a curtain around him and put him down on the track.

It was in no pain at all because of the amount of adrenaline from running the race. However, after about 10 minutes, it would start to feel the pain.

dowdpride

Jul 30, 2010
its horrible, but when a horse breaks his leg that badly, sadly, there isnt much more you can do for it. its sad, but better then the alternative. rip

Vegan_Doodler

May 29, 2011
I really don't like horse racing for the same reason I don't like dog fighting or fox hunting or bear dancing, forcing animals to perform for humans amusement is sick and people can say the animals are treated well but I'd like to see them run around with someone on their back and then get shot when the continued over exertion causes them to finally snap.

Sorry for the rant, it's just something I feel strongly on.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
I thought was going to be something about Amy Winehouse dying. Ya'know, cos she looked like a horse an' all...

OT:

Still, I'm sorry to hear about that friend. Very sad to see animals injured especially when it's humans that have played a part in it. Was there nothing that could be done?

Might be a stupid question but I know zero about horses, I thought he might be able to have it fixed somehow and live out the rest of his days as a pet or something :(

I don't mind horse racing as a sport to be honest. I never watch it but I don't object to it, and injuries and even deaths are common in sports, weather they involve animals or not. Still doesnt stop it from being sad though.

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
Wow. I guess they put it out of it's misery. And I know it would never have run again but I can't help thinking it could still have lived life as a non racing horse. Mmm. At least you earned some money from the day. Don't feel bad about winning the money, but I understand about feeling sad about what you witnessed