A trip to Lordran...and beyond

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
iwinatlife said:
Benpasko said:
As the above poster said, you can get a Twinblade in the Lost Bastille. That's about 2-3 bosses into the game, super early. It's in a treasure room that's sort of hidden, but you'll find it if you explore.

And yeah, to get the fist damage ring you need to level up Champion's Covenant. Champion's is basically hard mode for the game. No co-op, enemies take less damage. And the only way to level it up is by killing red phantoms, it's definitely not a 'first playthrough' kind of thing. Plus the Bone Fist has a way cooler moveset, it's like Heihachi from Tekken.
well i did pick up scholar which i think comes with all the DLC? but how much do you have to beat to unlock Ivory king? a lot right? So Twinblade into late game bonefist?
Not only is Ivory King very late-game (you unlock it after the midpoint of the game in SOTFS, and it's basically post-final boss in the original), even getting the Bone Fist requires you to basically beat around 50% of the DLC, running through the main area and beating the first boss, both of which are among the hardest phases in any Souls game. If you really want this one specific weapon, it's going to require clearing some trials and tribulations.

Dark Souls II has probably the greatest amount of viable builds in any Souls game, since making a dodging character or using a shield are about equally viable, and there's the magical, unique mechanic of powerstancing. What's best is that any combination of weapons can be dual wielded: rapier and mace, katana and greataxe, greatsword and an even bigger greatsword, dual halberds, dual crossbows etc. It also has a downright silly amount of boss weapons. If you truly desire something different you can only get in DS2, go powerstancing and miracles for range.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, I always had a blast with my glass cannon melee build. I had a two handed Zweihander and very light armor. If I used a shield at all, it was the darkwraith glove. Then I equipped the grass root ring and went to town. I'd just dodge every shot, and flatten my opponent with a well placed R2. It worked great against bosses. By far the most fun I've had with any build in any of the soulsborne games.

If you want something really weird, though...
https://youtu.be/xVut4fq3g44?t=16m8s

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
In DS2 you can get a twinblade very early, yes, but this is just a so-so weapon. The red iron twinblade isn't available until mid/late game. This is probably the best melee weapon in the game for PvE. Also worth looking into is Santiers Spear - very unique weapon and also very strong if used correctly (not limited to spear moveset).

Another thing that deserves to be mentioned since you're new to DS2 - there is a stat (ADP) that controls how many i-frames you get when rolling. If you don't level it, you'll find it extremely difficult to dodge enemies without getting hit. A reasonable ADP level to aim for is 18 or even a bit higher if you have the souls to spare. Hopefully you won't consider this a spoiler ... not knowing about it can make the game very frustrating to play.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
StreamerDarkly said:
In DS2 you can get a twinblade very early, yes, but this is just a so-so weapon. The red iron twinblade isn't available until mid/late game. This is probably the best melee weapon in the game for PvE. Also worth looking into is Santiers Spear - very unique weapon and also very strong if used correctly (not limited to spear moveset).

Another thing that deserves to be mentioned since you're new to DS2 - there is a stat (ADP) that controls how many i-frames you get when rolling. If you don't level it, you'll find it extremely difficult to dodge enemies without getting hit. A reasonable ADP level to aim for is 18 or even a bit higher if you have the souls to spare. Hopefully you won't consider this a spoiler ... not knowing about it can make the game very frustrating to play.
All Good I am Spoiled as 2 year old milk. I did at one point know about ADP but i had forgotten so thank you.

Apr 5, 2008
I liked my Dex/Dark character from DS2. It's hard with the skill point investment since Dark requires investing in both int and fai. The Silverblack Spear, Dark enchanted, is such a great weapon and so much fun to use. It has a fantastic moveset and hits hard thanks to its dark scaling.

There is of course also the famous RobFlynnStone build too. I must admit I found I began to genuinely enjoy the rapiers and quick weapons since Flynn's Ring makes them viable later game. It was also worth using for the DLCs since they were so horribly balanced (magic was so very ineffective).

I don't know if DS3 has been changed since my three playthrus at release. At the time however, straight swords were in a league of their own, the Dark Sword chief among them. Magic was massively weakened in DS3 compared to DS2, at no point will you ever feel like you're owning mobs with it, it's a lot less effective than weapons. They ruined spears for me too, the Partizan in particular (identical to Silverblack Spear, except not dark) was horrible in DS3 where it was amazing in 2. There may well be meta builds now, I haven't been back to it since release.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
KingsGambit said:
I must admit I found I began to genuinely enjoy the rapiers and quick weapons since Flynn's Ring makes them viable later game.
Absolutely. Stock rapier + Old Leo + Flynn's provides some of the highest DPS in the game. Viable from early game all the way to the end of the DLC. Certainly not the best for dealing with mobs, but utter destruction of bosses. This is actually the standard setup for DS2 speedruns until the RITB becomes available.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Update!: I Finally got some time to play which had been limited on account of my gf laptop being broken so she is using the tv as a monitor for her desktop.
Goal is velka's rapier but not there yet. Took on lower burg with little issue...Till good ole Capra. I thought it wouldnt be hard. I know how he works... I know the cheesiest way to beat him... all that knowledge added up to jack shit when I KEPt GETTING STUCK ON THE DAMN DOGS. 8 Deaths later I ragequit for a minute, but was pushed back into playing by my gf saying she would watch and I would get him... Surprisingly I did. Proceeded to Clear the depths, mostly skipped the Basilisk part because I wasnt planning on using evil eye ring. Took out Gaping in one shot. Proceeded to stop playing because I wanted to delay Blighttown.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
iwinatlife said:
Took on lower burg with little issue...Till good ole Capra.
Haha! I hit the same wall in NG+! I had a sound strategy, but the dogs, good Lord, the DOGS ruined everything! I ended up having to use the Ring of Fog and duking it out with Capra right in front of the fog wall; didn?t like having to further restrict my movement in the already small area, but it worked, I?m sure largely due to it being NG+. I wouldn?t recommend my ?tactic? on NG (don?t think you can even GET Ring of Fog that early) as I?m sure Capra hits hard enough to eat through a NG Stamina shell and right into Vitality meat quickly and with ease?

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Nicley done, man i know that capra dog pain all too well, i think my first playthrough it took me nearly 20 attempts untill i finaly got past the dogs, guess i was just in a rut at the time and couldn't see what i was doing wrong.

Nice work on gaping dragon, i can't recall how many times i've seen that fight in co-op where people just run in and get slaughtered, just curious did you cut the tail off? I always do, not for the item but to reduce his damn range, i swear that thing always hits me when i don't expect it otherwise.

As mentioned above blighttown is actualy pretty easy, just take your time with it, bait out the enemies in the smallest groups possible and try not to fall of any ledges.

All this talk, and that in the other thread makes me wanna go and play dark souls too, i've actualy been on a DS2 kick recently, even though isnt as good as the original i still enjoy it for the sheer variety in build styles. Honestly because DS2 parrying is kinda wonky it gave me an all new appreciation for the buckler/target shield, been forcing that damn thing into all my builds recently.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Seishisha said:
Nicley done, man i know that capra dog pain all too well, i think my first playthrough it took me nearly 20 attempts untill i finaly got past the dogs, guess i was just in a rut at the time and couldn't see what i was doing wrong.

Nice work on gaping dragon, i can't recall how many times i've seen that fight in co-op where people just run in and get slaughtered, just curious did you cut the tail off? I always do, not for the item but to reduce his damn range, i swear that thing always hits me when i don't expect it otherwise.

As mentioned above blighttown is actualy pretty easy, just take your time with it, bait out the enemies in the smallest groups possible and try not to fall of any ledges.

All this talk, and that in the other thread makes me wanna go and play dark souls too, i've actualy been on a DS2 kick recently, even though isnt as good as the original i still enjoy it for the sheer variety in build styles. Honestly because DS2 parrying is kinda wonky it gave me an all new appreciation for the buckler/target shield, been forcing that damn thing into all my builds recently.
Did chop the tail. Mainly because I could.
I just hate the toxic dart shooters with a fiery passion and did not want to deal with them at that time.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
hanselthecaretaker said:
Blightown's difficulty is over rated, as long as you're careful.
I feel like kind of a jerk, because last time I went through I skipped most of Blightown with the master key because I was sick of dealing with it's shit. Ironically, in DS2, I got through most of the Gutter(from the first bonfire to the second bonfire) without dying.

So either I got a lot better or the Gutter is somehow easier then Blighttown. Or my DS2 difficulty curve is skewed all to hell. For example, somehow I beat the smelter demon in 2 tries(3 if you count beating him as a gold phantom) but Prowling Magus and congregation(who I heard were the easiest boss in the game) took like 5 or 6 tries. Lost Sinner in 1 try. Rotten 1 try. Old Iron King? 10 tries(almost all of them due to somehow ending up in the lava). Ore....Old Dragonslayer? 1 try. Ruin Sentinals? 10 tries.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Dalisclock said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
I feel like kind of a jerk, because last time I went through I skipped most of Blightown with the master key because I was sick of dealing with it's shit. Ironically, in DS2, I got through most of the Gutter(from the first bonfire to the second bonfire) without dying.

So either I got a lot better or the Gutter is somehow easier then Blighttown. Or my DS2 difficulty curve is skewed all to hell. For example, somehow I beat the smelter demon in 2 tries(3 if you count beating him as a gold phantom) but Prowling Magus and congregation(who I heard were the easiest boss in the game) took like 5 or 6 tries. Lost Sinner in 1 try. Rotten 1 try. Old Iron King? 10 tries(almost all of them due to somehow ending up in the lava). Ore....Old Dragonslayer? 1 try. Ruin Sentinals? 10 tries.
I have that master key and urge to skip the large chunk of B-town is strong...Should I do it? or man up and face the toxic?

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
iwinatlife said:
Dalisclock said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

I have that master key and urge to skip the large chunk of B-town is strong...Should I do it? or man up and face the toxic?
There's really nothing important in the part the master key lets you skip unless you really want a couple of light armour sets like the ninja or red cloth ones, and the Iato(spelling) which is just an alternate uchi. So if you're comfortable skipping those, skip Blighttown. Fight Gaping Dragon if you want, but if you've done the zone before, you're not missing anything.That shortcut is just too good to not use.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
The bottom of Blightown is where it's at. So much good titanite farming from those slugs, plus several important vendors. It's only worth going through the top once to get some gear, as consumables there (purple moss for a good example) are far more plentiful in Darkroot.