A View From The Road: The Ultimate MMOG Holiday Wish List

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A View From The Road: The Ultimate MMOG Holiday Wish List

Would this be John Funk?s dream MMOG? Maybe not, but it?d be close.

Read Full Article

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
Sounds good to me. I'd love an MMO with all those things; and I think that having a mech and then an in-town persona would handle the cosmetics issue as well.

It seems like this is a table of contents for the other MMO ideas you've had though.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
My ideal MMO would be a lot like WoW, but with more player made content, like you level through WoW pretty much as you do now, but at the end of it all, there's an island somewhere, where guilds can build there own forts, invade other peoples forts, and basically make there own "mini-factions". You could still do everything that happens in WoW, all the Battlegrounds and Dungeons, but the feeling of actually building something and defending it, is whats missing from WoW for me, and is plentiful in EVE.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
With regards to Cosmetic Gear, what we need is the ability to take a piece of gear and set that item's design as the main one for all other armour. If another player wants to know what item is in charge of visual appeal, it should be apparent on the characters profile following a quick /inspect.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
but I shouldn't be penalized for not wanting to be jumped out of nowhere by a pair of Undead Rogues for half an hour
hah! feel the wrath of the forsaken, bless be the dark lady etc. etc.

you make allot of great points, now why cant i be a holy priest but look like a warlock.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
If you've played WoW and Champions then you know why quality animations and smooth effects top the list. An MMO can be deficient in a lot of other categories--like WoW is with polys and textures and Champions is with all sorts of stuff--yet still come off as an immersive experience with good animations and performance.

Champions should have failed outright but seems to be hanging on because it succeeds in what it wants to be: a superhero role-player.

For everybody who told me how great the graphics of AoC and LotRO are, my response was: no they aren't, the animations suck. The leaden animations of WAR almost worked given the source material i.e. it almost looked like little lead figurines had come to life and were running around. Almost, but not quite.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I can't diagree with you, except maybe on how a game built from the ground up for players to mould the game world to their liking would be pretty awesome.

For instance, a 1950's crime MMO where you start off as a street punk and eventially work your way up to own actual physical property in the world, bossing around hired goons, etc.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
I can't diagree with you, except maybe on how a game built from the ground up for players to mould the game world to their liking would be pretty awesome.

For instance, a 1950's crime MMO where you start off as a street punk and eventially work your way up to own actual physical property in the world, bossing around hired goons, etc.
I stand by the belief that any project that requires large groups of strangers over the Internet to work and function under the control of one is doomed to fail.

I too agree with the points. The harsh death penalties is what drove me away from some games (coupled with SLIM solo XP and forced partying.)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Now I wanna start playing an MMO...With cosmetic gear, of course.

DAMN YOU FUNK! I haven't played an MMO in 3-4 years.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Since Funk is a big fan of WoW, I'll use that as an example: If you are going to be in group content (dungeons, group quests etc) then I want to be forced to have to work with my team. I hate the fact that you can go through a dungeon with 2 people on follow and still have no problems.

As much as people bitched about it before it was changed, a rogue coming out of stealth when he sapped someone made everyone pay attention so that you could pull through an instance. I honestly want a challenge, not a tank and spank train.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Cosmetic Gear. Its something I want them to do something so much better with, but also I dont want it to become a central focus...looking good is nice, but, not at the expense of inventory space

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
Umm... Aion has a nicely integrated cosmetic gear system...? For a minimal fee you can change the appearance of your gear to another gear of the same type, and you can buy cheap cosmetic-only gear for this precise purpose?

No offence intended, Funk, but a lot of your articles contain terribly closeminded thinking (ie. MMO's should have more giant robots! All games should have good music! Mecha should look more sleek and Gundam-esque!). While I'm quite aware you put in the appropriate qualifiers that these things are just your opinion, it'd be nice if you tempered your articles with a bit more pragmatism?

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
After reading this article, and thinking of a possible game which could fit all those features in one, Mech Warrior universe popped into my mind.

If only...

Bah who am I kidding...

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Oh dear lord the ability to change what my armour looks like would be great, especially going through Outland, with it's paint-shop-explosion-in-a-candy-store gear...

To be honest, I'd settle for the ability to dye it, so it at least all looked the same...

Misaek

Oct 28, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
With regards to Cosmetic Gear, what we need is the ability to take a piece of gear and set that item's design as the main one for all other armour. If another player wants to know what item is in charge of visual appeal, it should be apparent on the characters profile following a quick /inspect.
Unless of course the item is called BIG RED SPIKY PLATE OF DEATH because then it would be pretty weird for the big red spiky plate of death to be a small blue smooth robe of life wouldn't it?

blitz609

Sep 11, 2008
JusticarPhaeton said:
Umm... Aion has a nicely integrated cosmetic gear system...? For a minimal fee you can change the appearance of your gear to another gear of the same type, and you can buy cheap cosmetic-only gear for this precise purpose?

No offence intended, Funk, but a lot of your articles contain terribly closeminded thinking (ie. MMO's should have more giant robots! All games should have good music! Mecha should look more sleek and Gundam-esque!). While I'm quite aware you put in the appropriate qualifiers that these things are just your opinion, it'd be nice if you tempered your articles with a bit more pragmatism?
Im pretty sure at the beginning he said it was HIS wishlist and that it may or may not coincided with whatever you like.

As for me I'm still hoping Star Trek Online turns out ok XD.

Earthbound Engineer

Jun 9, 2008
I don't have any specific requirements for MMOs, I simply have to try them out for myself and go from there. I try my hardest not to listen to the hype, vecause that was the one thing preventing me from trying WoW for so long, and now I consider it one of my favorites. Although one thing that I do require is a nice balance between crafting and combat. WoW is more combat-orientated, while Fallen Earth is, pardon my language, "all bout teh craftz." Believe it or not, Runescape balances the two pretty well, even though neither is very in depth. But hey, for a free MMO...who's complaining?

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Undeadundertaker333 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Unless of course the item is called BIG RED SPIKY PLATE OF DEATH because then it would be pretty weird for the big red spiky plate of death to be a small blue smooth robe of life wouldn't it?
You say weird, I say hilarious. Potayto, Potarto.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Frizzle said:
Since Funk is a big fan of WoW, I'll use that as an example: If you are going to be in group content (dungeons, group quests etc) then I want to be forced to have to work with my team. I hate the fact that you can go through a dungeon with 2 people on follow and still have no problems.

As much as people bitched about it before it was changed, a rogue coming out of stealth when he sapped someone made everyone pay attention so that you could pull through an instance. I honestly want a challenge, not a tank and spank train.
I'm fine with that. I think some of the 5-mans are too brainless (though TBC's heroics could tend towards the other direction; have fun running Shattered Halls without 2 mages or a Paladin tank).

JusticarPhaeton said:

Did I say all other games didn't? No, just that it was a feature I'd like in more games :p

This is an opinion column, and I think I've made it very clear that this list - and last week's column about the music - was just stuff I'd like to see in games. I'm sure you have things you'd like to say, too.

(And not all mecha need to look like Gundams, all mecha should look cool. You can pull off "blocky western" and not look like ass :p)