A Writer's Destiny

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Ishigami said:
So... did Bungie improve the way they present the story to the player in the expansion or not?
not really but they did make the leveling experience much better, and fine tuned the gunplay.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
dangoball said:
Skinner box. Skinner boxes everywhere.
You need that psychology reference acknowledged? Here you go.
OT: I have kinda given up on good writing in games. I can't really remember any story that really grabbed by theballs feels. Maybe its the age. If you have been gaming for more then 15 years, you sort of expect the writing to keep up. Indis might be the exception, but why the hell can't AAA games pull it off.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
47_Ronin said:
dangoball said:
OT: I have kinda given up on good writing in games. I can't really remember any story that really grabbed by theballs feels. Maybe its the age. If you have been gaming for more then 15 years, you sort of expect the writing to keep up. Indis might be the exception, but why the hell can't AAA games pull it off.
It's all about presentation of the story in games for me, for instance, i fucking love love love the story in bloodborne, however minimal it may feel to others. But overall, stories in games are a let down. The original bioshock is an exception of how to deliver a story in a game. As are the soulsborne games.

To me, it seems the problem with the majority of stories in games is that they exist despite the gameplay. Stories in games work better for me when the story and the gameplay are the one entity, woven between and into one another. Not one of them plonked gracelessly on top of the other.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
You know, I'm not sure if that second panel was meant seriously or if the vast fucking hyperbole was intentional in service final punchline, but I think its far more likely that Dinklage was expensive and not consistently available to do voice work for new content (notice your ghost is silent in The Dark Below and House of Wolves) than someone at Bungie thinking the poor reception of the game's story was somehow because of his performance.

Also just as an aside since Destiny is the topic of conversation: The Taken King is great, as is the 2.0 patch. Bungie has clearly learned from their mistakes at launch and created one of the best shooters I have ever played.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Ah, but as the Mythbusters proved, (and contrary to popular belief), you can polish a turd!

Ironically enough, polished turds are quite interesting and pretty. XD

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
I actually liked Destiny until I saw so much bad press about it. I'm fickle that way. It's just hard for me to enjoy something when I know a majority hates it.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
RedRockRun said:
I actually liked Destiny until I saw so much bad press about it. I'm fickle that way. It's just hard for me to enjoy something when I know a majority hates it.
A majority doesn't hate it....seriously. The game has only two types of people interested in it: those who hate it (I really love the ones who say they hated it after playing the game nonstop for hundreds of hours) and the ones who are too busy enjoying Destiny to care about everyone else's meltdowns. (There's the third group who could care less either way, of course; and one time a forum poster who told me there's also the group who could care so little that they trash the game just because they are tired of hearing about it....which sounded more like a cry for help to me than anything else)

Forum posters definitely seem to hate Destiny, though. But the game pulls in too much money and interest for it to be a "majority."

You may all ignore me, I admit I'm a Destiny Fan Boy. Hell, I even loved the deadpan sarcasm of the Dinklebot. RIP, Dinkebot.

I'll offer some constructive points regarding The Taken King, though:

1. They worked hard to make the story more visible, entertaining and something people could follow. It lacks the poetic, almost mythic element of the fist year's tales but since it seems many people couldn't grokk to the notion of that style I can understand why they changed it.

2. The one thing I disliked in Destiny was the marks/rep system for year one which was the grind people like to talk about. That is now gone --wiped out-- in The Taken King although I'm not far enough long yet to see what it's been replaced by (presumably a new different sort of grind process, but we'll see).

For many people, it seems that if they couldn't play the game nonstop for the full year it must be garbage. For others like myself I enjoyed the game at a more relaxed pace (still got a couple hundred hours in) and did not stress out that once I had maxed out a character in advancement (both levels and light levels, which are now gone btw) that I had nothing more to do. I just leveled a new character.....that said, if the thought of leveling more than one character in Destiny sounds painful to you then this is probably not your cup of tea anyway.

Naturally Sound

Jul 30, 2014
It looks like Destiny pulled a Diablo 3. A lackluster, boring, very grindy base game to a more fun and a little more satisfactory experience and story via an expansion. I admit, Destiny's popularity was something unprecedented - I guess the Halo/CoD crowd just found their first MMOFPS.

47_Ronin said:
dangoball said:
I agree with you. At first, I thought because of the consumer mentality and lack of interest. As a writer, I observed that the writing that has really gotten stagnant is in sequels of AAA games or overhyped ones. You rush an artist or put him through a once-joyful hobby to the point he hates it, you get a shit product - that is a cold, hard fact.

I'm finding more and more inspired storytelling and good characterization in the indie games. Take the LISA games for example and tell me that doesn't grab your feels by the balls.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Ishigami said:
So... did Bungie improve the way they present the story to the player in the expansion or not?
In my opinion, yes. A couple of nice cutscenes, more exposition, and a lot more banter back and forth between the supporting NPCs during the missions. The fact that it focuses on a single enemy faction makes things flow a bit better as well.