AAA Games Have Stopped Innovating

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
1981 said:
Something I've been wondering for a while: why are game developers constantly reinventing the wheel? If indie devs had access to proper tools we wouldn't have this problem. Would it be possible for a AAA studio to release a game as a set of API's once they're done milking it? Kinda like modding except it wouldn't feel any more derivative than using RPG Maker or any other software.

Dear Esther and DayZ started out as mods and you could say that both of them invented a genre.
They have. Unity, Unreal Engine, Source and HPL Engine are examples of tools created by a developer studio, and then sold as separate development tools. By the way, "done milking it"? Ha ha ha! That's a good one!

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
CaitSeith said:
Thanatos2k said:
NES -> SNES just meant better graphics and longer games.
May I stick my hand into my monitor, make it travel through the Internet until it comes out of yours, grab you by your head and smash your face against your keyboard? No? Damn lack of innovation!

Now seriously, Street Fighter II couldn't have been done in the NES. The cartridges were too small and the system too limited to contain and process all combos and fast paced action in efficient manner (not to mention it doesn't have enough buttons). Entire genres were created or improved in gameplay (like action-JRPGs) in the SNES era. Battery powered save systems became mainstream too. That was a huge improvement from the password based.
Just adding more system resources is exactly what the new consoles did too. Thing is, that's not really the limitation in games anymore.

Also, a game that "couldn't be done on the NES being possible on the SNES" isn't innovation, it's just realizing a vision you couldn't before.

Oathfish

May 30, 2014
I find the claim that videogames *need* to innovate a dubious at best. I think we've reached the point where the focus needs to be on crafting strong stories like TellTales "The Walking Dead", Naughty Dog's "Last of Us", Irrational's "Bioshock Infinite" - these are examples of games that didn't need to innovate, only bring a unique and powerful experience to the table. I think in fact that AAA games should stop driving blindly to the next big thing (3D movies anyone?) and just refocus those energies into bringing gaming as a medium into a mature and important place in our society.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Thanatos2k said:
CaitSeith said:
Thanatos2k said:
NES -> SNES just meant better graphics and longer games.
May I stick my hand into my monitor, make it travel through the Internet until it comes out of yours, grab you by your head and smash your face against your keyboard? No? Damn lack of innovation!

Now seriously, Street Fighter II couldn't have been done in the NES. The cartridges were too small and the system too limited to contain and process all combos and fast paced action in efficient manner (not to mention it doesn't have enough buttons). Entire genres were created or improved in gameplay (like action-JRPGs) in the SNES era. Battery powered save systems became mainstream too. That was a huge improvement from the password based.
Just adding more system resources is exactly what the new consoles did too. Thing is, that's not really the limitation in games anymore.

Also, a game that "couldn't be done on the NES being possible on the SNES" isn't innovation, it's just realizing a vision you couldn't before.
Exactly. The leap is pretty much the same. And with the benefit of hindsight we're allowed to forget the mountains of repetitive, boring or broken titles that lay at the feet of the worthwhile games that stood the test of time.

The frequently referenced Shadow of Mordor gave us a new way of interacting with the enemy exclusive to the current-gen. Rockstar added a (pretty fantastic) first-person mode to GTA V that they were physically unable to fit in the original release. And yes, increases in graphical capability have lead to a welcome burst of detail, vibrancy and responsiveness. From the comparatively blistering speed of an era in which 60fps has become the expected standard and not an unexpected surprise, to the roll of the rain off Batman's cape to the way faces in Until Dawn will sometimes catch the light just right and look like they're about to jump Uncanny Valley on their skateboard. They aren't the most important part of a title by a longshot but yes, they do matter. And it's okay to say they matter.

Speaking of which, we happen to be seeing a new genre forming right there. Now we have the likes of Until Dawn and Life is Strange picking up the lead of the first experiments in a new direction by the likes of Telltale or Quantic Dream and running with it. They emphasized conversation, environmental interaction and above all else decision making over straight logic/inventory puzzles of more classical adventure games, but with a motion, exploration and in some cases even action that set them apart from visual novels. They aren't just a style anymore. Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead are no longer unique curiosities. And while their rise may not have anything to do specifically with a new set of consoles, they still represent the real emergence of something different in the medium, something new. I like to call them Choice-Em-Ups.

The problem with all this is that it's harder to notice because we're in the middle of it. We don't notice just how much of a leap visuals are actually making because we remember the last generation looking that good when we first saw them. We don't remember all the crap we had to slog through in every generation because it wasn't worth remembering as much as the releases that were actually good. And the only things we can analyze from this generation are from it's comparatively early days, when no one has any idea what they're doing. Remember how Resistance: Fall of Man and The Last of Us were on the same system? Or Perfect Dark Zero and GTA V? Heck, just look at the difference between GTA III and San Andreas. Who knows what the end of the lifespan on the PS4 and XB1 will bring.

I'm not saying the current gen doesn't have problems, but we need to keep some perspective here. Every generation has problems, and they turned out okay. You really think in fifteen years we won't have people nostalgically reminiscing about how much better gaming was back in the Eighth Generation? You know, when we had real games, before VR headsets and haptic gauntlets and kart racers became the dominant genre everyone rips off?

EDIT:
Oathfish said:
I find the claim that videogames *need* to innovate a dubious at best. I think we've reached the point where the focus needs to be on crafting strong stories like TellTales "The Walking Dead", Naughty Dog's "Last of Us", Irrational's "Bioshock Infinite" - these are examples of games that didn't need to innovate, only bring a unique and powerful experience to the table. I think in fact that AAA games should stop driving blindly to the next big thing (3D movies anyone?) and just refocus those energies into bringing gaming as a medium into a mature and important place in our society.
Also this, completely. Nothing kills quality faster then floundering about trying to be new rather then trying to be good.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
This may be the reason why I started to lose interest in AAA games. Even though innovation is important, I believe the real deal breaker is identity. Too many AAA games felt the same and very hard to distinguish. Which is why I really do not care or buy many games this year.

DocImpossible452

Feb 19, 2014
RandV80 said:
DocImpossible452 said:
I feel that comparing AAA games to blockbuster movies in this regard is a bit of a cop out. Yes the comparisons drawn are valid, but these are two different entertainment mediums so we're comparing apples & oranges. Video games have way more room to innovate and try new things due to their interactive nature, in ways that a blockbuster movie couldn't hope to replicate.

Also the film industry isn't just blockbusters and indies, they never lost those middle ground productions. While it's the Star Wars & Avengers that everyone gets excited about theaters still need to fill their time slots 365 days a year so there's still plenty of middle ground professional movies made. Unlike the video game industry the second tier movie productions never died off.
My bad, I oversimplified it and in retrospect completely agree with you.

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
There is no real debate here. You were right, we agreed and the AAA game business is a huge time/money/resource sink that has failed to produce anything of significance recently, possibly ever. There are absolutely zero signs that the situation will get better. Better as in making some progress.

I still stick the bane of AAA gaming on suits. Not just the suckiest suit in the business, Bobby The K over at Activision, but the hordes of financially focused/obsessed people that live and die on the stocks. Games making huge amounts of money has attracted the worst from the business world, and to no small part the worst from those in Hollywood. Miserable products, failed releases, a decade or more of abusive DRM leads us to where? Well, rebooting garbage games by doing nothing more than improving the graphics. The results are middling games that are mostly generic; 1 from column A, 2 from column B and mixed with too large an art department. All to produce 50GBs of mostly wasted storage. And these are their best games. Well, they are the best they can do within such a broken environment.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I think due to the relatively increasing budgets of game development, the risk is simply not placed on the AAA market anymore. It's up to the indie crowd to come up with an idea, upon which the AAA market can then latch onto and try and improve.

I may be out of place, but I think since we've reached a stale position due to the new gen shift, games and mechanics have been somewhat stagnant, but story telling has been on the upshot. The Last of Us, some of Telltale's releases, The Witcher 3 - I mean there's some really deep interactions going on there, involving the player or not. For the games in which story is not important, it has been a non-issue. But where it does weigh, they've been great IMO.

Something like Watchdogs was pretty innovative, they just didn't flesh it out enough and the hype generated didn't match up to the product. I enjoyed it, and could even understand why they still fell back on certain conventions such as gunfights and "radio towers" just to keep some sort of consistency to ensure things didn't go completely down the drain.

Also, in the middle of the last generation, it seems we hit those milestones that were so successful that it became a case of money-printing, because of the "don't fix what ain't broke" mindset. We had CoD 4, and Assassin's Creed. For the last 3-4 years, all we've had are newer iterations of them, each copying from the last (with varying levels of success).

Even Arkham Asylum, which brought something new to the table in open world story-telling and combat. Was doing rather great (with one exception I guess) up until the point they started introducing city-destroying Batmobiles and poor porting.

That's enough points for now I think I'll get back to "work", but it's less than 2 pages and only 1.5 spaced alright?!

Edit: revised for wordiness and added a point on Watchdogs

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
Honestly I stopped being a fan of Halo ever since the third game came out. The first game was one of the first videogames I had ever played and it just blew me away with the combat and the story. It seemed at the time so incredibly innovative. I ended up getting all the Halo books I could find because I loved the ideas that were introduced in the game. Then Halo 2 came out and I was again blown away by how much they had improved (at least for Me) on the first Halo. I loved the direction they took with the branching narratives and everything that felt new and not just a retread of the original.
So I was incredibly disappointed when Halo 3 came out and just seemed to not introduce anything especially the new (The Ark was lame) and kept making references to how good the previous games were. I also didn't like how they seemed not to know how to deal with Master Chief instead just freezing him until they could come up with something later. Halo 4 seemed promising to me because they actually introduced something different. And they finally reached what I felt was a satisfactory conclusion to the Chief and Cortana relationship. It is a shame to know that Halo 5 is just another step back for the series.

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
To be frank, one of the biggest inhibitors of innovation come in the form of reviewers like Yahtzee.

When a truly innovative game comes along, often it's not as shiny and perfect as might be. But the critic mob descends (led by the reviewers whose "shtick" is negative reviewing), the game gets torn to pieces, and then neither indies nor AAA developers want to try that again.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Timeless Lavender said:
This may be the reason why I started to lose interest in AAA games. Even though innovation is important, I believe the real deal breaker is identity. Too many AAA games felt the same and very hard to distinguish. Which is why I really do not care or buy many games this year.
Good point, I feel the same as well. I just cannot get excited anymore with so many of the AAA offerings. Thankfully indie games have helped quite a bit in keeping gaming interesting.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
And Man said:
The PS4 has a share button! Innovation at its finest!
I'd say that the Share Play functionality of the PS4 is pretty high up there on the innovation list.

strumbore

Mar 1, 2013
The last three years has actually seen a dramatic increase in female and homosexual protagonists--two sorely underrepresented avatars in videogames. The problem though, I contend, is that publishers, whether indie or AAA, seem to prefer that the two be mutually inclusive.That is, most female protagonists are implied to be homosexual (or assumed to be by the gaming community), and all intentionally homosexual protagonists are female. This is troublesome b.c. it propogates the mindset that femininity is a crutch that can't be heroic or identifiable with audiences, particularly in the action-adventure genre.

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
I'm gonna take a blind guess and mention: Saints Row's customization.

It has a lot of it. It makes for a good dress up game believe it or not. More games should have deep customization, especially open world ones.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
While it's true AAA games have stopped innovating as much as they COULD, technically they have stopped completely.

As unfortunate as it sounds, when you look at in the terms of business, it's NOT their job to innovate a ton, that's left to the smaller business. Games by small/medium teams and indie games.

But I have to say that i'm can't get up in arms about the state of AAA games. Yes they should innovate a bit to keep games interesting, but I feel that the big point of a AAA game is not to be "Best game ever, can't be beat" but instead be an expected minimum quality.
New Call of Duty? I can expect the game to be 6.5/10 at WORST. Fallout 4? Ton of effort put into it, expecting a 7-10 range. Yeah not a ton is new, and it doesn't appeal to everyone, but its still made with an expectation of quality that can't be put on a random Indie Dev. Still, hats off to a AAA game that takes a ton of risks, because it shows dedication to their work despite sinking a large amount of money into something that might not even sell.

TLDR: With smaller games, you never know if it will turn out the next big gem or a total buggy and broken mess, it's a gamble. AAA games aren't always gems, but they're a reliable experience and time-sink more often than not.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
AAA is about Evolution, not Revolution.
That is, it's more about making tiny, incremental annual improvements to existing ideas over introducing new ideas.
It won't change until the current model that sustains AAA fails.

And it inevitably will fail; all media markets peter out if they don't crash. It's just a matter of time.

May 28, 2015
It's true that not all games have to do something completely new. In fact, the shouldn't. But the problem is that AAA games have stopped making any improvements to gameplay and narrative.

In The Witcher 3, you can gallop by holding down one key. If you're following a path it won't consume stamina. That's a small detail that felt like a big leap forward.

One of the reasons I ragequit on Far Cry 4 was that NPC's were still useless. They had hundreds of heavily armed people but it was up to one guy to win the war. In The Witcher 3,
you can leave Zoltan to fight the troops and go after Dandelion. In any other game it would've been the decision that determines which one of them dies.

There was something fishy about how the thing with Letho played out, but I finished off the thugs anyway because that's what you usually do. When Cerys asked me to trust her, I knew she meant business. If it wasn't for the previous incident I would've thought that the game expects me to say yes because it doesn't want me to hurt her feelings or so that she'd sleep with me later. I wasn't sure we saw eye to eye. (They repeatedly scolded me for not respecting their ways, one of which was making a person sacrifice themself at a funeral. It was hinted that Udalryk was being pressed into sacrificing his son). I still said yes and made the decision based on that. I later learned that you can inspect the house beforehand and see that the oven has a door on the other side. If I had noticed that I would've suspected that they're playing with me.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
We were going to have an innovative AAA game released in the new console generation. It was called "Silent Hills" and was cancelled by assholes. Oh what might have been...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Atmos Duality said:
That is, it's more about making tiny, incremental annual improvements to existing ideas over introducing new ideas.

And it inevitably will fail; all media markets peter out if they don't crash. It's just a matter of time.
Alright then. Which was the first AAA game and how has been its evolution since then?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Atmos Duality said:

Alright then. Which was the first AAA game and how has been its evolution since then?
I'd tentatively place the start at Super Mario Bros (NES), for post-crash era gaming.
Prior to that, there were popular classics but mainly arcade hits; nothing was really planned as a franchise.

All AAA started somewhere, I realize, but the longer a company remains a major player, the less they tend to innovate.
(and that's when they aren't just outright dying)