About 25% of Americans Don't Know the Earth Revolves Around the Sun

Spakka

Oct 27, 2012
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Antibiotics are used to treat bacteria based disease. E.Coli poisoning, salmonella, TB, turburculosis, meningitis, cholera, septic shock, are a few examples of what you might treat with antibiotics.
Actually antibiotics affect microorganisms, not just bacteria. They also in their varying classes, attack protazoa, fungi etc. etc.

As a further point, TB is tuberculosis. Septic shock is a description of a systemic response to infection leading to shock, not an infection itself.

/pedantry

baron164

Dec 18, 2010
I usually dismiss any of these "surveys". The estimated population of the US is around 311 million people, that's 311,000,000 people, 2,200 is such an insignificant percentage it's barely worth conducting the survey in the first place. There are a lot of variables I would be curious about, such as age, location, level of education completed etc.

baron164

Dec 18, 2010
I usually dismiss any of these "surveys". The estimated population of the US is around 311 million people, that's 311,000,000 people, 2,200 is such an insignificant percentage it's barely worth conducting the survey in the first place. There are a lot of variables I would be curious about, such as age, location, level of education completed etc.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Spakka said:
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Antibiotics are used to treat bacteria based disease. E.Coli poisoning, salmonella, TB, turburculosis, meningitis, cholera, septic shock, are a few examples of what you might treat with antibiotics.
Actually antibiotics affect microorganisms, not just bacteria. They also in their varying classes, attack protazoa, fungi etc. etc.

As a further point, TB is tuberculosis. Septic shock is a description of a systemic response to infection leading to shock, not an infection itself.

/pedantry
You're right, I intended to put tetanus after tuberculosis, and ended up repeating myself. Doi.

I just wanted to type something out that really "bare-bonsed" the topic. That antibiotics and antibacterials aren't synonymous was pertinent information I should have made clear. I have failed...

Failed :|

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
wolfyrik said:
Some_weirdGuy said:
Flatfrog said:
snip for neatness
Speciation itself has also been observed :).
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html

snip
Speciation=/= evolution. Evolution by natural selection is the theory which explains the fact of Evolution. Evolution IS speciation, lifeforms changing over time, becoming diverse and branching off from each other. Evolution/speciation is occrrung all around us, right this minute. The Cliff swallows are a prime example of evolution/speciation:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/19/birds-evolving-dodge-vehicles-traffic_n_2901431.html

I dislike Takl oriogins, it's full of nonsense pandering. There is no controversy around Evolution. There are only two parties in this discussion
1. people who accept that evolutuion is fact, that evolution by natural selection is the best, most evidenced explanation of those facts.
2. creationists. ie Those too ignorant, too dishonest to acknowledge the facts because doing so would challenge their bizarre, extremist ideas.

It's interesting to note at this point, that evolution by natural selection has more evidence to support it, is more thoroughly explained and more complete than gravity.
ok, first up:
Speciation=/= evolution ... ... Evolution IS speciation
... you're contradicting yourself :X

Second, you and I are both saying the same thing. I've already said all the same thing you did there, just several snipped quotes earlier. My discussion with flatfrog has been me saying evolution is NOT a theory. Evolution itself is a law/phenomenon/fact, natural selection is the theory, and like all scientific theories is not explaining the 'what'(the law, in this case 'lifeforms change over time' -> evolution), but the 'how' (mutations occur and the most successful survive)

Either way might be worth actually giving the link a read before you go blindly dismissing it like that, since it is actually collating evidence FOR evolution and provides numerous academic references for every assertion it makes, proving anti-evolutions(and currently uninformed 'pro-evolutionists') claim that 'new species [that is, evolutionary descendants who once were able to breed but now have changed so far that they cannot] forming hasn't been actively observed so evolution is not real!/still only a theory' is totally bogus as even THAT has also been observed and documented in multiple occurrences, such as with plants and flies.

wolfyrik

Jun 18, 2012
Some_weirdGuy said:
wolfyrik said:
Some_weirdGuy said:
Flatfrog said:
snip for neatness

snip
Speciation=/= evolution. Evolution by natural selection is the theory which explains the fact of Evolution. Evolution IS speciation, lifeforms changing over time, becoming diverse and branching off from each other. Evolution/speciation is occrrung all around us, right this minute. The Cliff swallows are a prime example of evolution/speciation:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/19/birds-evolving-dodge-vehicles-traffic_n_2901431.html

I dislike Takl oriogins, it's full of nonsense pandering. There is no controversy around Evolution. There are only two parties in this discussion
1. people who accept that evolutuion is fact, that evolution by natural selection is the best, most evidenced explanation of those facts.
2. creationists. ie Those too ignorant, too dishonest to acknowledge the facts because doing so would challenge their bizarre, extremist ideas.

It's interesting to note at this point, that evolution by natural selection has more evidence to support it, is more thoroughly explained and more complete than gravity.
ok, first up:
Speciation=/= evolution ... ... Evolution IS speciation
... you're contradicting yourself :X
Quite correct, I thought that stating it in that way would have more impact, I was wrong. It does just look silly in hindsight.

Some_weirdGuy said:
Second, you and I are both saying the same thing. I've already said all the same thing you did there, just several snipped quotes earlier. My discussion with flatfrog has been me saying evolution is NOT a theory. Evolution itself is a law/phenomenon/fact, natural selection is the theory, and like all scientific theories is not explaining the 'what'(the law, in this case 'lifeforms change over time' -> evolution), but the 'how' (mutations occur and the most successful survive)

Either way might be worth actually giving the link a read before you go blindly dismissing it like that, since it is actually collating evidence FOR evolution and provides numerous academic references for every assertion it makes, proving anti-evolutions(and currently uninformed 'pro-evolutionists') claim that 'new species [that is, evolutionary descendants who once were able to breed but now have changed so far that they cannot] forming hasn't been actively observed so evolution is not real!/still only a theory' is totally bogus as even THAT has also been observed and documented in multiple occurrences, such as with plants and flies.
I admit, I read your post out of context. Apologies.
I still dislike Talk Origins though. I see your point about access but I resent how they seem to imply that creationism is somewhow an 'alternative'. I'll read through the website again though, maybe it's just a knee-jerk reaction to their presentation.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
CarnageRacing00 said:
If someone had decided to judge my intelligence based on that single moment of "oops", that someone would think I was a fucking idiot child who couldn't even spell a six-letter word.
A provable lack of intelligence is surprisingly easy to pull off anywhere. I've seen many street-level approaches where random people are stopped and asked simple questions or even sold snake oil; cringing often ensues. People not knowing who their own leaders are, believing H2O is toxic, even signing petitions to allow fourth trimester abortion.

Jeff Foxworthy's Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? showed that most people don't remember what they learned when they were ten years old, but really you could just turn on any social media and observe the stupid people like a National Geographic program.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Some_weirdGuy said:

((Section 5 details instances of observed and recorded speciation, such as in planets and insects. Problem is, so many people think as you do('it's too slow to be observed'), and already feel existing evidence is convincing enough as is, that we don't have many scientist actively trying to observe speciation further XD
there are also some more cited examples here http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.html))

Thus my reiterated statement that evolution is still not a theory. ((though you do express the view most people use these days, it is itself still incorrect))
Normally I don't tend to take part in threads this old, but I've been away from the Internet for a few days and this post was rolling round in my head.

Although I accept with great interest and thanks your examples of observed speciation (all new to me and most welcome), and I agree that this refutes what I was saying, I still think you're to some extent missing the point I was trying to make. I was saying that the distinction between fact and theory isn't where you're drawing it.

On the one hand you have the *facts*, such as:
- Populations can vary by Natural Selection under changes in environmental pressure;
- Mutations in plants can cause new species to be created;
- All known organisms on Earth share the same genetic code;
- Organisms' DNA shows a clear pattern of relationships which follows their natural classification into species, genera etc;

On the other you have two *theories* which explain these facts, which are
- the Theory of Evolution: essentially that all organisms on Earth are descended from a common ancestor by repeated reproduction and speciation)
- the Theory of Natural Selection, which is that Natural Selection is sufficiently powerful to have caused this evolution.

(incidentally, the process of Natural Selection itself is something I'd class as neither fact nor theory but Law - it's almost tautologically true)

It's important to separate these two theories because it is the *first* which creationists dispute, despite the fact that as you quite rightly say and I have been keen to emphasise all along, the first is the one which has the most evidence to back it up - to the extent that it requires extraordinary special pleading at a supernatural level to come up with an alternative explanation of the facts.

The reason the second theory is important is not because it is necessarily true (although so far there's no real evidence to say that it isn't) but because it *could* be true. Before Darwin and Wallace many people believed in evolution but without a mechanism to explain it, it was always vulnerable to Paley's Watch-style arguments against. Natural Selection provided a plausible and compelling response to those criticism, and was *itself* the final 'proof' of the Theory of Evolution.

Just to finish off with the parallel story about Continental Drift. Once again we have facts (the continents look similar, flora and fauna on the continents show patterns of similarity suggesting the continents were once joined together, etc), and two theories. The theory of Continental Drift is the theory *that* the continents were once joined together and split apart several million years ago. Over the years lots of people proposed this theory and were laughed at, quite rightly, because despite the huge array of facts it explained, there was no underlying mechanism to explain how it could work. Then the theory of Plate Tectonics was invented, providing a mechanism for *how* the continents might move about. As an added bonus it provided lots of other testable predictions which made it a great candidate. With that in place, the first theory, that the continents move at all, became accepted - even though eventually we might learn that Plate Tectonics are not the whole answer to how continental drift occurs.