About 25% of Americans Don't Know the Earth Revolves Around the Sun

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
rhizhim said:
eihter your educational system is really bad or you just have a huge ammount of hillbillies.
Sigh.. If you read the polling was of only 2,200 people that has a population of 312,000,000 people. I am sure they would have as many idiots in such a small polling if you went to any modern country on this earth...

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Is 2,200 really a large enough sample size to say 1/4 of 313.9 million don't believe the earth revolves around the sun?

I don't know a single person, (most of them American, as I am American) who think this. But according to that statistic I should know AT LEAST a few.

The big bang question is a bit problematic since it's not nearly as solidified as the theory of evolution. I'm not saying the big bang didn't happen, but there are several different scientific interpretations of what exactly happened in the early stages of the universe. I don't think there will be a sufficient and thorough explanation of the origins of the universe until the grand "Theory of Everything" is correctly formulated, if it even ever will be.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Nieroshai said:
dylanmc12 said:
Hawkeye21 said:
There was a different survey a couple of years back, one of the questions was: If Earth revolves around the Sun, how much time does it take to make a full revolution? Around 30% answered one day.

Also, how does one "kill viruses" anyway? Virus is a single organic molecule, it's not even an organism of any description. It isn't even alive.
That's a good point. It's like stabbing a table in revenge because you hit your shin on it.

All in all, I hope this isn't true. Oh God, I hope it isn't.

And if it is I hope the only people asked were in the southern states. Then it's ok.
We did better on the poll than ALL of Europe. That educational utopia, as the internet makes it sound. Even if it is true, and indeed if the South is to blame, that would mean if just Georgia dropped off the map, America would have scored at least 2nd instead of 5th. Instead of Europe.
The Internet is rather silly on that point, though. Spoken as a European, I can report that the people that belches "Yankees are stupid!" the loudest tend to know ridiculously little about the U.S., and even less about America as a whole. If it wasn't featured on Friends, of course.

But hey, imagine what the European results would be like if only the wealthy nations were allowed to partake. Surveys this broad will always lead to a very unclear picture where everyone looks stupid to the point of worry. At best, they're worth a few laughs.

Dec 14, 2009
SimpleThunda said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What happens when you invest ludicrous amounts of money into a bloated military, and nothing into education and health?

Something like this.

Gotta be looking at priorities when your military spending is X times the number of the next X countries combined.
To be fair, if they didn't, everybody in America would be speaking either Russian or Chinese by now. And so would probably everyone in Europe.

Not sure if serious...

I hope so, because it would be funny.

If not, then I can't even begin to comprehend how wrong you are.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Tactical Pause said:
Okay, so I know it's fun to hate on America all the time, but I feel there's something that needs to be pointed out.

This is not just a problem in America. A similar study was conducted across numerous countries, and very few even did as 'well' as the US did (only South Korea fared better, with the number being around 14%). In fact, for the EU as a whole, the number was about 34%, and it was 30% in Japan.

So, yes, this is abysmally bad, and really kind of depressing, but it isn't just another opportunity to ridicule America.
Question: Where all pollings such a low number of participants and said that it equates to the population as it is whole?... Seriously 2,200 people in a polling does not prove a dam thing... The EU it even means less since they are even more varried in educational systems and language vs all USA states... Japan also has a big population for it's size verse South Korea or almost any EU country so if the polling there was small it means nothing as well.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Hey, I sure hope that people ripping into religion as if creationists represent every Christian don't get upset when people assume all atheists are "euphoric neckbeards."

That would be hypocritical, so I'm glad nobody would ever do something like that!

Plus, that sample size is puny. Need moar data.

I also remember reading a similar article on the Escapist a year or two ago about a similar kind of survey taken in Britain, but that was explained away in the comments as "national tendency towards sarcasm."

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
SimpleThunda said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What happens when you invest ludicrous amounts of money into a bloated military, and nothing into education and health?

Something like this.

Gotta be looking at priorities when your military spending is X times the number of the next X countries combined.
To be fair, if they didn't, everybody in America would be speaking either Russian or Chinese by now. And so would probably everyone in Europe.

Not sure if serious...

I hope so, because it would be funny.

If not, then I can't even begin to comprehend how wrong you are.
Paranoia and propaganda are a strong medium in USA culture from televisions to politicians making shit up. Mind that neither of those countries he spoke of like us very much, but with China we both are stuck with eachother in economics now that if one of us falls the other will as well so it is a love hate relationship. Russia well that one has been a distrusting relationship since the rise and fall of lenin/stalinism and still old wounds and distrust fester. Also our Gov't hates Putin so yeah... But I don't see either as a military threat in the logic both sides would not gain shit out of it.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
rhizhim said:
VanTesla said:
rhizhim said:
either your educational system is really bad or you just have a huge ammount of hillbillies.
Sigh.. If you read the polling was of only 2,200 people that has a population of 312,000,000 people. I am sure they would have as many idiots in such a small polling if you went to any modern country on this earth...
well, i thought it was enough to make a projection. assuming it was really taken from different places and not mostly from "all time fun silly land" texas. cause texas has been stigmatized with overly religious and mostly ignorant people.

but you are still right, we need more data i.e. more participants.
I will even defend Texas to an extent since they have estimated 26 million people that reside there and the State is huge and many parts have more liberal leanings than one thinks verse it all being a bible thumping redneck state. The problem is that the state is usually run completely one sided and the biggest speakers are the redneck/bible thumpers verse the majority.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
VanTesla said:
Tactical Pause said:
Okay, so I know it's fun to hate on America all the time, but I feel there's something that needs to be pointed out.

This is not just a problem in America. A similar study was conducted across numerous countries, and very few even did as 'well' as the US did (only South Korea fared better, with the number being around 14%). In fact, for the EU as a whole, the number was about 34%, and it was 30% in Japan.

So, yes, this is abysmally bad, and really kind of depressing, but it isn't just another opportunity to ridicule America.
Question: Where all pollings such a low number of participants and said that it equates to the population as it is whole?... Seriously 2,200 people in a polling does not prove a dam thing... The EU it even means less since they are even more varried in educational systems and language vs all USA states... Japan also has a big population for it's size verse South Korea or almost any EU country so if the polling there was small it means nothing as well.
I can't provide you the specific answer to this, but there is an awful lot of math behind sample sizes. It is generally understood that a small, representative sample can yield fairly accurate data about a much larger population.

A sample of 2000 people should indeed be able accurately represent the United States as a whole if it was taken correctly. Remember, it's not like they just go to one city and ask the first 2000 people they meet. A proper sample is designed to reflect the larger population.

If it was not possible to draw inferences about things based on smaller tests then, as a species, we would know virtually nothing about anything beyond our own front yards.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Dimitriov said:
VanTesla said:
Tactical Pause said:

I can't provide you the specific answer to this, but there is an awful lot of math behind sample sizes. It is generally understood that a small, representative sample can yield fairly accurate data about a much larger population.

A sample of 2000 people should indeed be able accurately represent the United States as a whole if it was taken correctly. Remember, it's not like they just go to one city and ask the first 2000 people they meet. A proper sample is designed to reflect the larger population.

If it was not possible to draw inferences about things based on smaller tests then, as a species, we would know virtually nothing about anything beyond our own front yards.
Even if they took the samples from each state and from low to high income families there are going to be ignorant people in every state and as mentioned since it is also random there can be a high chance they could pick more ignorant people than informed. Also the majority of this small sample still showed most response correct even if most got a couple wrong, but you have to take fact that some of the questions where stated somewhat vague so some people who may not be bright when reading questions does not mean they have the lack of knowledge if answered more directly. Also some of the people tested could have mental disorders or be older aged population since they don't really say what where the age and education the tested 2,200 people...

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
John Keefer said:
Did the universe begin with a huge explosion? Only 39% answered yes correctly.
Did human beings, as we know them today, develop from earlier species of animals? Only 48% correctly said yes.
Do antibiotics kill viruses? Only 51% correctly answered no.
So the Big Band Theory is "correct" now? And the second question can easily be because of religion.

Is the fact that the Earth revolves around the sun really important? What difference does it make if someone doesn't know?

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Jumwa said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The US government actually spends more on education and health care than most western countries. They just do so very, VERY ineffectively. Such as pumping most of their healthcare dollars into private companies. And in the case of education, school financing is often tied to the wealth of the areas they service. So rich neighborhoods get well funded schools, the poor neighborhoods that need the money most get the least.

Then there's issues like how the school system prepares kids for test taking, which does not necessarily translate well into practically applying what you've learned to any other instance. As well, studies indicate that the day after a big exam, students have already begun to rapidly forget everything they had to cram for the test.

So money isn't even the issue as such, it's a complete failure of method, ideology and politics.
Then there is the issue of certain right wing states putting a gigantic spear in any form of progress. Sorry if anyone here is from the U.S. and leans Conservative. I have nothing against moderates on either spectrum. Just extremists on both right and left. Back on point. A few years ago the U.S. actually tried to pass a measure of education reform. In the wake of Hurricane Katrina and all the displaced kids from Louisiana they found out that their education at say 6th grade was not as high as the same year in Texas just a border hop away. So they decided to try and pass a measure that would standardize a curriculum for the whole nation from K-12 so no matter where you ended up you would be on the same page as everyone else. Guess which two states shot it down? Alaska and Texas. Apparently they can edumucate their kids just fine so no need to do that. Are you kidding me? 48 states agreed to this. 48 out of 50! I thought for once in my life that was something the entire freaking country could agree on. But NO! Apparently we can't!

The other thing to note as well is that from my experience most states have some kind of state mandated test that is to be taken in the basic subject of Social Studies, Science, Math, and English. If the test was actually worth anything it would be fine but the test is the usually the most rudimentary knowledge that people who get A's or hell even straight B's have little issue passing the test. However because this also determines certain financial things for the school and job positions for teachers they spend all year teaching you how to take this test. Then after its done they start teaching you other things. Either that test needs to go or the test needs to be made harder and more mentally challenging or something along those lines.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I wonder exactly what all the questions are? Because to be fair, in many places in the US some of those the article mentioned are more political than scientific. They know what evolution and the big bang theory's are, but they choose not to believe it. This is a little different than the damning revolving earth/sun question, and the understandable antibiotics/virus question.

It still isn't very good overall, but just saying.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Think I'm going to hitch a ride with Professor Farnsworth because

Look, as an American, I know that we collectively as a nation aren't exactly the brightest bulbs of the bunch. But really? A quarter of Americans surveyed don't know basic 4th grade astronomy? Le sigh...

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Hmm. The Earth revolving around the Sun question I can kinda understand. But considering America is a predominantly Christian country, I can understand why people would apparently get the answers to a question revolving around evolution and the Big Bang "wrong".

Not saying that there wasn't a big bang or we didn't evolve from other animals, I just think it's a bit unfair to call people dumb just because they have a different opinion on how we came about.

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
I'll forgive the antibiotics one: it's a fairly easy mistake to make. Actually, 51% isn't too bad.

Now, I'm still pissed that the evolution acceptance rate is low, but it's not THAT much better here in Canada (~60%? This statistic seems a bit low, but so's the one in the article). Even worse, something like 42% of Canadians still believe humans and dinosaurs coexisted. And that's really, really dumb. I'd like to meet the 8% who believe both and see why.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Keiichi Morisato said:
the examples you gave are micro evolution, macro evolution is a complete change, like from monkey's to human, from fish to whatever.
No. Just...no. The only difference between micro and macro is time.

OT: I see a lot of people saying "Well, most EU countries would get the same results" or whatever. I can't say anything about most of them, but I'd love to see this study performed here. I can promise you that the overwhelming majority of people would not get those wrong.
I'll happily admit my mistake if someone proves me wrong here though, because honestly, I'm not very fond of my own country anyway.

EDIT: I feel like I could add this too. It might be of help.