About Critics (Part 1)

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
You seem to be a lot more personal in your reviews. That's one of the things I like best about you, but it's a bit of a double-edged sword.

Take your Sucker Punch review. I understood why you liked it and why you enjoy the works of Zach Snyder. Then there's the Scream 4 review. You openly admitted a personal bias against the movie, but still justified why you don't like it.

On the other hand, Fast 5, while I also don't like the F&F movies, one could practically taste the venom from that review. And I don't think I need to mention the Expendables, a review I enjoyed, but that's because I do enjoy anger-fueled reviews as much as insight-fueled reviews.

As for the Big Picture, some people need to remember that it's an opinion piece, take time to actually know what was being said (CoughPCGamingepisodeCough) and calm the fuck down...

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
RTR said:
I don't get why so many people complain as they do.
WHy can't they just get over reviews they don't agree with and move on?
It's not a matter of not agreeing with reviews... it the idea that he thinks that by "criticizing" these films, he's some how better than others. While some people might not have a problem with it, I do. And if I don't like it, why do I even bother commenting? Because if he's got the right to criticize, I do too.
what? no, seriously, what? he's a critic. he doesnt like something, he'll tell you he doesnt like it. that's his job. he's not going to laud a film if he doesnt like it just so he can please people. what are you insinuating here? bob pretends to hate films that he secretly likes just so he can feel like a superior human being? i never ever got that impression.

Furioso said:
Well he can't really review many good movies when bad movies are able to be churned out by the bucket load compared to the good ones

Captcha:

Seriously?!?! IS THAT A TRIANGLE?!
it's a Delta! Delta's are the coolest greek letters next to the Lambda!

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
RTR said:
I don't get why so many people complain as they do.
WHy can't they just get over reviews they don't agree with and move on?
Because we like discussing about the review or the subject of the review. Can you imagine how boring it would be if everyone agreed with each other. Sure these discusions may get heated and there are always trolls but that doesn't mean everyone should keep quiet if they see something they like.

Aerowaves

Sep 10, 2009
I think elitist is more of an attitude than an actual reflection on someone's ability. Looking down to/condescending to other people owing to one's perceived superiority, especially in cultural matters in which one basically shoves his/her better informed/educated balls in your face.

That said, I'd never really consider you an elitist, Bob :). Some people just don't like other people knowing more than them. You generally present stuff in an intelligent and informed way without making assumptions about your audience's intellect; giving them the benefit of your experience while being fairly sure that they can handle what you're saying. You engage with rather than talk down to your audience (and you don't use preposterously pretentious terms and analogies).

Wow that got a bit too positive. I'd better mitigate the Boblove with an "OK Bob not everyone reads comics; 'ppreciate it - and they are good videos - but maybe space the comic stuff out a bit more?". Though if you're pressed for content I suppose it's your feature.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Ashcrexl said:
what? no, seriously, what? he's a critic. he doesnt like something, he'll tell you he doesnt like it. that's his job. he's not going to laud a film if he doesnt like it just so he can please people. what are you insinuating here? bob pretends to hate films that he secretly likes just so he can feel like a superior human being? i never ever got that impression.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying he uses his opinions to make himself feel superior. Just because someone liked Scream or the Expendables doesn't make them a no good douchebag. I don't care one way or the other if he didn't like the film, he just acts like that because he disliked the movie he's better than the people who do. And even take this article, for example. He consistently spliced in fancy language to make his elitism seem justified, which is something that I find extremely annoying.

I just get the feeling he talks down to his audience. Maybe this is my own elitism, but I don't like being talked down to.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Part of the problem with critics of any kind is they have a vastly different internal rating system then their audience. For me the number one thing on the list isn't "is it original?" or "did it have a strong message?"... no for me is "did I enjoy it?"

Take Rabbit Proof Fence for example, and I'm using Australian films here because I know them better then anything Hollywood has done recently, that movie was beloved by critics, it won awards all over, the high brow crowd basically dropped to their knees and opened wide for it... yet it was one of the worst movies I ever sat through, it was boring, annoying, obnoxious, and damn preachy. It might have had "stunning" cinematography and a "powerful" story... but it wasn't enjoyable. I don't know anyone, even out of the people I know who actually like the movie, that actually enjoyed watching it.

Then you get a movie like Tomorrow When The War begins, it was panned by critics, and technically it was a lacklustre film, but it was infinitely more enjoyable then anything else I'd seen recently...

A movie, book, or game, doesn't have to be fun, funny, or exciting, but it does have to be enjoyable. Hell I enjoyed Schindler's List, and that was about subject matter so dark it might as well be a politician's soul, but the narrative and acting was so intense that you get a kind of enjoyment out of it.

So that is why I dislike critics.

Dan Shive

Jun 9, 2008
Critics seem to be really bad about taking negative comments. Or at least, the critics I watch. So much time seems to be spent desperately getting ahead of the negative comments before they happen, or making clear why the negative comments are foolish only to later continue having to explain it because people either disagree, don't listen, or simply didn't happen to view the article or video where the explanation took place.

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
Sorry Bob but this doesn't even answer one of my criticisms of you. My main problem is that you seem hypocritical you hate certain films for being mindless and even insult their audiences but then rave about Pirahanna 3D because it has tits and blood.

I really lked you when I first started watching you but as the reviews went it seems that you started to get bitter, you mention everything surrounding the film (the audience, circumstances that lead to the film being made in a certain way, etc) and only give a token gesture to review the film itself.

I had hoped that this article would actually answer some of my complaints but it just glossed over the actual complaints people have and just responded to the most generic complaints people always have with critics. At the very least Bob please answer us why you think it's acceptable to insult viewers for liking certain films.

Dan Shive

Jun 9, 2008
MovieBob said:
The function of a critic is not to summarize something and try to divine whether or not you or someone else might like it (though they may in fact perform said function tangentially)
Really? Because I watch in the hope of gathering data to help me determine whether a movie is worth my time and money. I basically consider your job, as far as movie reviews go, to be one of entertaining and helping make movie-going decisions. Your background gives you the knowledge necessary to recommend better alternative movies one could be watching. Other than that, the only reason I think I, or anyone else, would value your subjective opinion of a movie above others would be having similar tastes in film.

There is, of course, the entertainment factor, and fun facts and such regarding contemporary films and film history play into that. That does not equate to putting your opinion of films above that of others. If you were an expert regarding something objective, that would be different. If you were an expert on my car's engine, I'd trust your opinion over some friend of mine who has never worked on a car before. In regard to something like film, I mostly care how close our subjective views are. For that, some friend who knows very little about film history, but likes similar movies, could easily be much more reliable.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
TwistedEllipses said:
I feel guilty knowing you might actually read what I have to say when I post from time to time.

Something I've noticed recently (and yes this is a gross generalisation) but on discussions of Jimquisition, the fans of that show seem to really hate this show. I think that comes from the acquisitions of elitism and pretentiousness that moviebob has got. Personally, I don't get that and I don't get get Jimquisition either...
Movie Bob is pretentious and elitist compared to the Jimquisition.

Jimquisition of the "Thank god for me."

I giggled.

Your once and future Fanboy

The Norwegian One
Feb 11, 2009
Well, I do agree with Bob here, and I always believe that personal opinion isn't something to be "pigeonholed" into a predetermined category just because of the person is a professional critic or have reviewed a lot of movies, but I know that if you have seen a lot of movies, you will begin to dislike formulaic films. And MovieBob admitted that in his review of "the Eagle".
But I will say that since he gave Thor a good, but not great review, he's isn't especially guilty of this (seeing how that movie is more or less sticking to formula).

There is however some critics who don't justify their views properly or doesn't seem to have seen the movie at all (or at least didn't pay attention and where to busy being negetive).
An example would be Noah "Spoony" Antweiler's "review" of Final Fantasy X. He seemed like he based his review on other peoples retelling of the game, and clearly didn't pay attention to many parts of the story (because he where clearly prepared to hate it from the get go and didn't want to see the parts that opposed his criticisms).

He didn't pay attention to the character beyond his first impression (and there is quite a lot of character development in the game), and used most of the review to ***** about the main character (who he actually said where unimportant to the story, and for those who have played the game, you know how wrong that is,,It's like saying that Jesus isn't important for the story in the new testament).

Whoa..Sorry, I got way of track there, but when i think about bad reviews, this is the first that spring to mind.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well I do agree with Bob here. I wish game critics *cough*IGN*cough* could take the hint and start slamming formulaic titles for what they are. Call of Duty... 7 is it? Seriously?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
It is very interesting hearing from the point of view of a professional in their field, because they are the elite, they have their fields of specialty, they do know more than your average movie wathing person. As a professional when it comes to repairing aircraft, I understand where you are coming from. I understand that you know what you're talking about when it comes to movies, I'll keep planes in the air.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
I really don't care whether MovieBob likes or dislikes a film. I found that what really I enjoy are the episodes where he explains his dislikes or problem with the film. Anyone can give an opinion that says a movie sucks or is great but the ability to coherently explain those responses is an uncommon and useful skill. I don't need MovieBob's approval or disapproval to enjoy a film but his insights about most films are thought-provoking. In that sense, regardless of his opinion of a film, he is successful as a critic.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
My problem isn't any of those points, it is how you make things personal. You insult people of differing opinions. If you enjoy The Expendables you are "probably the worst kind of person." Really? Also, I don't care about your personal life. You completely invalidated your own review of Scream 4 by opening with that rant about the Scream franchise taking away your "skill" (it was never a skill in the first place).

Just be more professional. That is what I am asking.
I think his point was more like this...When people watched Sideways a bunch of them magically thought that they were wine snobs and ran around pretending to be sophisticated by adopting traits and opinions that they had nothing to do with before a movie came along and made it popular. Real wine geeks are pissed at the newcomers literally posing in on their hobby.

I think you misunderstood his point, or at least his issue with it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
None of those things are even what I have an issue with, although with elitism I will say it's all fine and good until you start being a dick about it. Now, I like watching MovieBob and I will listen to everything he has to say and take it for just as an opinion, and if I don't agree with it then I ignore it and move on.

What I do have an issue with is being insulted by someone I don't know and he can make sweeping generalizations about people that watch a certain movie or have a certain opinion. That pisses me off. If you and I don't agree on something, fine, but don't be an ass about it. I've seen The Expendables and enjoyed it, why? Because it was mindless and I didn't have to think too much about it, also because I knew what I was expecting. A really bad movie and I was entertained, so if that make makes me a terrible person, then fine.

Apr 24, 2008
Deathninja19 said:
Sorry Bob but this doesn't even answer one of my criticisms of you. My main problem is that you seem hypocritical you hate certain films for being mindless and even insult their audiences but then rave about Pirahanna 3D because it has tits and blood.

I really lked you when I first started watching you but as the reviews went it seems that you started to get bitter, you mention everything surrounding the film (the audience, circumstances that lead to the film being made in a certain way, etc) and only give a token gesture to review the film itself.

I had hoped that this article would actually answer some of my complaints but it just glossed over the actual complaints people have and just responded to the most generic complaints people always have with critics. At the very least Bob please answer us why you think it's acceptable to insult viewers for liking certain films.
He's not doing anything that Yahtzee doesn't do and get praised for.

Personally I like the way he offers context and backstory for a films release, it's far more interesting than a simple tick-the-boxes rundown of a films technical merits...which is what alot of published critics would offer you.

I think there might be some growing pains here, because this feels like a relativly new format(to me at least). This isn't like reading an article in a newspaper with a name that you'll never remember printed at the bottom, this is critics as celebrities in their own right, on a level seldom seen before. I can see how to some that might mean that they have to permanently be diplomatic and tread on egg-shells...lest someone be offended. But, I don't see how you can have it both ways. If you want your critics to be larger-than-life and truly honest and uncompromising, you're probably going to have to develop some thicker skin too.

I do find it a little disconcerting that I watch more movies than movie-Bob...