About the Amazing Spider-Man, I Told You So

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Man, does anyone else really want them to go with Bob's Agents of SHIELD Spidey reveal? I can see it so perfectly in my head, it must be made manifest. Also, I'm firmly of the opinion that absolutely no superhero film since Spiderman 2 has done a superhero "moment" as well as that train scene. See Man of Steel, you CAN make your silly Christ imagery mean something in the context of the story. I'd give honourable mentions to Iron Man's "montage against terrorism" scene and almost the entirety of the first Cap America, but still not quite as right. And when you're up against that, you really should distance yourself accordingly *cough*Black Spidey*cough*

Xyebane

Disembodied Floating Skull
Feb 28, 2009
Does the escapist still have editors? No one thought to tell Bob to maybe cut out the first 2/3rds of first page? I didn't like ASM either and I am glad that Marvel is getting him sort of back, but I don't stand on a soapbox and mock people like a 6th grader. There are hundreds of people who put a lot of their time into those films, for better or worst and they deserve better. Grow up and have a little dignity.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
It's okay Bob, you've always been insufferable. But don't worry, now that you're gone, I won't have to put up with you anymore.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
*chuckle* Sheesh. Always startled that people feel so strongly about Bob having an opinion they don't agree with. News of this magnitude, though, I've got to say g'wan and gloat. I share MovieBob's opinion that the series is going to get better.

While I liked a bit of the stuff in ASM (the quipping during fight scenes felt like the comics), they didn't hold a candle to SM 1 and 2 and I've got a grudge for the studio working Raimi over on 3 and pulling a reboot.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
LysanderNemoinis said:
It's okay Bob, you've always been insufferable. But don't worry, now that you're gone, I won't have to put up with you anymore.
So you were being forced to watch his videos and read his articles? ;p

OT: Glad you had a good last day, Bob.

Go out with a simile and a song! ;D

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Vivi22 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I imagine I will be insufferable about this for a good long while.

Well at least he's admitting it..
Every Movie Bob piece feels like an "I told you so" anyway.
At least he's making it clear that I should continue to largely ignore every video and article he makes for the next several years.

Even if I didn't think the first ASM was better than he gives it credit for, and even considering that I wasn't overly fond of the second, it's still incredibly annoying to try and read or watch anything he puts out there when he spends a remarkable amount of time beating several dead horses. And most of the time, his dragging the corpse back out for a few more good whacks doesn't even add to whatever point he's making.

It's like he's trying to alienate his audience as much as possible by simply harping on the same things over, and over, and over, in the hope that everyone else will grow to hate them as much as he did.
Well, he's gone now. So in a way, everybody wins today.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
AM1-2 was about as bad as SPM3, it got a few things right but got enough wrong to be underwhelming....

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Impossibilium said:
I'm really hoping they get it right this time.

The first two Raimi movies were good for the time, but (at least for me, and I know I'm in the minority here) I don't think they've aged well. And of course, Spider-Man 3 was crap. Which was why I (again, in the minority) was looking forward to the reboot when it was originally announced.

I actually liked Amazing Spider-Man for the most part. It had it's problems - the Lizard copying Dafoe's shtick from the original being one, the cheesy construction worker scene at the end being another - but I thought Garfield was a good Peter Parker and they had something to build on with the sequel.

They failed miserably, making a movie to rival Michael Bay's Transformers in crapitude, and only marginally more tolerable to watch than Spider-Man 3.

So I'm hoping, with Marvel's guidance, that they can finally do the character justice. And I hope he doesn't feel too shoehorned in when he shows up his first Marvel appearance.

Side note: I'm also hoping that they call the new movie Spectacular Spider-Man, and proceed to copy everything from the cartoon, which, in my opinion, is still the best interpretation of Spidey to date.
i feel the same way. at the time they were good, and the action in the second one is still really good, but the movies themselves are way too campy for what's going on with superhero movies these days.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
008Zulu said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
Honestly I can't see what Sony's getting out of this deal
A chance to recoup the massive losses in both money and fanbase support that ASM has inflicted on them.
Except that Sony's film division is there 2nd most profitable and the quarters were the 2 ASM films launched are the 2 very best after Skyfall (which banked a billion) in the last decade so I don't get how it's losing money.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
LysanderNemoinis said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Wait, Bob's gone now? Where are y'all getting that? I don't see an article about it.

Is it Twitter? I swear to God I hate how game news sites leave all of their staff news to Twitter, not all of us give a damn about it and, like him or hate him (and I could live without him, really), Bob's been one of the biggest contributors for a long time, which only grew this past year as he produced something like half of the regular columns on this site. Was he fired? Layed off? Chose to leave?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Supahewok said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Wait, Bob's gone now? Where are y'all getting that? I don't see an article about it.

Is it Twitter? I swear to God I hate how game news sites leave all of their staff news to Twitter, not all of us give a damn about it and, like him or hate him (and I could live without him, really), Bob's been one of the biggest contributors for a long time, which only grew this past year as he produced something like half of the regular columns on this site. Was he fired? Layed off? Chose to leave?
He announced it on his blog and on Twitter. No cause he given, though he emphatically denies it had nothing to do with his social media bullshit. No official Escapist comment so far.

And as much I don't like the guy or his work, it comes across as really strange Escapist would let go of him. He brought in quite a lot of people. Firing him isn't as insane as, I dunno, getting rid of Yahtzee, but getting there.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Johnny Novgorod said:
Supahewok said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

He announced it on his blog and on Twitter. No cause he given, though he emphatically denies it had nothing to do with his social media bullshit. No official Escapist comment so far.

And as much I don't like the guy or his work, it comes across as really strange Escapist would let go of him. He brought in quite a lot of people. Firing him isn't as insane as, I dunno, getting rid of Yahtzee, but getting there.
Yeah, no way they just cut him off for funsies, he produced too much for the site. I'm surprised it took this long though, he's been calling certain segments of his potential audience "subhuman trash" (to put it mildly) for over half a year now. And even before that he's been increasingly partisan, bitter, and hostile over the past 2 years.

Shame. As much as I disliked him on a personal level, one of the main reasons I've kept coming to the Escapist since the days they gave the weekly newsletter and most of the columns the axe (otherwise known as this site's Golden Age where every week they had a handful of interesting and insightful editorials and columns, most of which WEREN'T browbeating over how much my demographic owes the rest of the human population) has been to keep up with Marvel stuff, and say what you want about Bob he's always been knowledgeable about that and has been fairly good at predicting where the movies and shows would go. Looks like all that's left for me here is Shamus' column. God, I wish the archives on this site were such that it wasn't a complete pain in the ass to find those old newsletters...

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
He announced it on his blog and on Twitter.
Wow, so, I guess Wednesday afternoons are the only days I have a reason to come to this site any longer.

Oh well. Thank you for letting us know, Johnny Novgorod.

EDIT: No, that's unfair, I do like Critical Miss, too. But still, losing Lisa Foiles, Jim Sterling, and now Bob Chipman leaves me pretty bummed.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
I'm itching to see what they come up with, but I wishwe could take a break first. So much Spidey, so quickly...
I wanna see Spider-Woman join the MCU! They finally updated her costume so it could be made into live action without people laughing at it.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
I'm surprised it took this long though, he's been calling certain segments of his potential audience "subhuman trash" (to put it mildly) for over half a year now

Are you fucking kidding me? Unapologetic misanthropy has been a core part of his schtick since his earliest days on Youtube, going on tangents like claiming that Sturgeon's Law did not apply to the Human Race because there was no way only 90% of it sucked.

The only thing which changed is that part of his audience -who early on tended to view his internet persona's hyperbolic callousness as endearing and fun- one day realized that his openly stated worldview was not "Most of Humanity sucks, except for my fans and watchers who are all awesome" but "Most of Humanity sucks, including a sizable chunk of my own viewership".

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
Personally, I just liked watching these as a time waster. I have no idea what's going on outside these videos.

Can someone fill me in on what the big deal is with Bob?

Jeez, at this point, Yahtzee's the only person worth a damn on this site.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Xyebane said:
Does the escapist still have editors? No one thought to tell Bob to maybe cut out the first 2/3rds of first page? I didn't like ASM either and I am glad that Marvel is getting him sort of back, but I don't stand on a soapbox and mock people like a 6th grader. There are hundreds of people who put a lot of their time into those films, for better or worst and they deserve better. Grow up and have a little dignity.
The weird part is Bob himself went over this dichotomy in one of his Big Picture videos last month, about "punching up" vs. "punching down". But its not like Bob goes for much consistency in what he says.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
JimB said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
He announced it on his blog and on Twitter.
Wow, so, I guess Wednesday afternoons are the only days I have a reason to come to this site any longer.

Oh well. Thank you for letting us know, Johnny Novgorod.

EDIT: No, that's unfair, I do like Critical Miss, too. But still, losing Lisa Foiles, Jim Sterling, and now Bob Chipman leaves me pretty bummed.
Well there is so much Jim happening on his YT channel and pod-casts and review site that it really isn't like he's lost at at all. We just check out his stuff elsewhere. Bummed about Lisa though. Her weekly snipits of silliness were fun.

OT: Are we at the point now, that we are witnessing the desecration of the horse's grave? Should we report this? Is there prison time involved? -- Honestly, I don't know that I have ever seen someone so sincerely, so single-mindedly vitriolic about a select few topics for such a lengthy period of time as is MB.

As bad as AS and AS2 are - they tried some new things and they got a couple of things very right, in my opinion. First, comic book Spiderman cracks wise. Andrew Garfield as movie Spiderman also cracks wise. Yes. Second, he has web-shooters now and they make a cool little sound that I like. These are positive changes.

I sincerely hope that the next time Spiderman appears on the big screen, this continues.

Speaking of Andrew Garfield, there was nothing I could see wrong with his performance. Bad screenplay, bad writing, bad script, all check. But the guy worked with what he had, and it could have gone a LOT worse. No actor/actress could have saved that writing on the strength of their performances alone. I do agree that given better material the character would have improved. And considering these contractual changes involving the character it probably is best to move on from Garfield; but damn: "[T]he worst live-action incarnation to ever appear, and he's tainted irrevocably because of it", is quite the albatross your hanging around his neck...