About the Amazing Spider-Man, I Told You So

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
vagabondwillsmile said:
Well there is so much Jim happening on his YouTube channel and pod-casts and review site that it really isn't like he's lost at at all.
Oh, I know. I'm just not a big fan of most of it (which is no criticism of him or his work; Squirty Play just isn't really my thing), and I miss his collaborations with Mr. Croshaw as well as Movie Defense Force.

vagabondwillsmile said:
Bummed about Lisa though. Her weekly snippets of silliness were fun.
Very much so. The humor of her videos was a..."cleaner" is a melodramatic word, but a humor less based in anger and that didn't leave the residual bitterness of anger-based humor. I got nothing against anger-based humor in general and still think Zero Punctuation is the tastiest bile-dispensing system on the planet, but still, I miss her kind of humor.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
He announced it on his blog and on Twitter. No cause he given, though he emphatically denies it had nothing to do with his social media bullshit. No official Escapist comment so far.

And as much I don't like the guy or his work, it comes across as really strange Escapist would let go of him. He brought in quite a lot of people. Firing him isn't as insane as, I dunno, getting rid of Yahtzee, but getting there.
Well, that's a bummer. It seems that every month I have less and less reasons to come here. Who's next? Greg or Yahtzee?

Master Taffer

Aug 4, 2010
Not all that broken up about it. Bob used to be one of my three primary critics, but as time has gone on his general behavior has been... Unbecoming to the point I simply dropped him from the lineup. The man just comes across as inherently bitter, and the Amazing Spider-Man schtick got old really, really fast. it's fine not to enjoy something, different strokes for different folks. But Bob took it to a level of spite that was just uncalled for. The moment he desired everyone involved to be fired in one of his videos, I lost all respect for the guy. That's just petty on a childish and ugly level.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
piscian said:
I only disagree with the Garfield part. I thought the portrayal and design of spider-man in ASM was good and far more accurate to the Ultimate universe version the MCU is grounded in. I would be happy to see Garfield stay, but he's probably too frustrated with the whole thing and the stain it put on his name to come back. I also thought Toby was good. The things I felt like failed in any of the spider-man movies never had anything to do with the main characters portrayal.

I fully admit I kinda liked the first movie. It wasn't until the 2nd film left me confused a bewildered that I was totally on board with shutting the whole thing down.

Bob seesaws every week between gloating, whining and throwing tantrums. No need to apologize were used to it these days.
Disagree. I hated A.G. from the first second. He reminded me of Hayden Christensen. And Hayden Christensen is a goddamn abomination. I dont understand how any of them still gets work.

Heartsib

Jul 2, 2014
Miles Morales would probably be the only way I'd be interested enough in another Spidey film to see one in a theater, honestly. I can wait for used DVD/Netflix for someone to take another swing at Peter Parker.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I imagine I will be insufferable about this for a good long while.

Well at least he's admitting it..
Every Movie Bob piece feels like an "I told you so" anyway.
Well it looks like I have more time now that I will be avoiding Bobs work. I am not a fan of dead horses getting repeatedly beat down. A little part of me hopes the next Spiderman movie flops but it probably won't.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I'm not sure if I like Bob more or less now that he at least admits he's insufferably smug...

Anyway, I find it sort of entertaining that he acts like ASM 2 was this giant bomb at the box office, when (even though it did the worst of all the previous Spider-Man movies) it STILL made over $700,000,000 worldwide.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=amazingspiderman2.htm

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Ihateregistering1 said:
I'm not sure if I like Bob more or less now that he at least admits he's insufferably smug...

Anyway, I find it sort of entertaining that he acts like ASM 2 was this giant bomb at the box office, when (even though it did the worst of all the previous Spider-Man movies) it STILL made over $700,000,000 worldwide.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=amazingspiderman2.htm
The reason its considered a bomb. Every journalist and their mother was saying Sony spent way more money on that movie than they would openly admit and even if it did turn a profit it would've had to have done Avengers or Frozen numbers which wasn't going to happen. Its the Tomb Raider scenario. Yeah the game sold millions but because of certain behind the scenes antics it didn't sell the millions it needed too which is why a sequel to it was up in the air there for a minute.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Ironically I watched ASM2 tonight on video and kinda liked it. I can't tell if I really have no sense of what's good in film anymore, or if the "this is awful" descriptor is being over-applied. I've seen awful movies. Terrible, crappy, hideous movies (for a sample of movies I think almost everyone could agree are terrible look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_considered_the_worst). ASM2 is just an average fun movie, which manages to have all the working pieces of the Spider Man mythos stacked haphazardly together in a manner that looks and feels like a Spidey film but doesn't manage to quite do anything right.....that doesn't make it a bad film, just a poor adaptation. I also can't figure out why MB thinks Garfield is such a stud...the guy looks really dorky to me, but whadda I know. I've seen MB, and I guess comparatively speaking Garfield is a stud.

That said, this is possibly the best thing that could have happened. Marvel will hopefully get Spider-Man back into gear and recognizable with all the right moving parts. I'm really intrigued to see what the MCU Spider-Man looks like (although also slightly leery, having recently seen the Daredevil promo....which if I am not mistaken, he's not even wearing his blood red costume....sigh).

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
CaitSeith said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
He announced it on his blog and on Twitter. No cause he given, though he emphatically denies it had nothing to do with his social media bullshit. No official Escapist comment so far.

And as much I don't like the guy or his work, it comes across as really strange Escapist would let go of him. He brought in quite a lot of people. Firing him isn't as insane as, I dunno, getting rid of Yahtzee, but getting there.
Well, that's a bummer. It seems that every month I have less and less reasons to come here. Who's next? Greg or Yahtzee?
Greg Tito?

:/ I think he is already leaving the Escapist. Though, they haven't removed his name from the video credits yet. I also haven't heard about his replacement.

Maybe this has changed. I'm not sure.

BlueKenja

Jul 4, 2011
Not overly annoyed to see the back of Bob. I understand critics can't be 100% objective but his smug, Marvel fanboy-ism riled me.
Least he went as he wanted to; smug and insufferable.

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
TopazFusion said:
Imp Emissary said:
Greg Tito?

:/ I think he is already leaving the Escapist. Though, they haven't removed his name from the video credits yet. I also haven't heard about his replacement.
Huh? Strange you never heard about Greg's replacement, because the new EiC has been in the job almost a month now.
:D Ah. Thanks Topaz.

I only heard about the new community manager. Thanks for the info.

VANDERWALL huh? He should be good. Best of luck to him. Hope it goes better for him than it did for the last two. :(

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Imp Emissary said:
CaitSeith said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Greg Tito?

Sorry. I meant Grey Carter.

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
CaitSeith said:
Imp Emissary said:
CaitSeith said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Greg Tito?

Sorry. I meant Grey Carter.
Oh. :eek:

Yeah, I would be sad if Grey and Cory left. I like their comic. Though, I guess it would just get put up somewhere else.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I am nearly crying with joy, this is the last article I will have to read that has about 10 links to other articles written by the author. It was one of the most obnoxious things he did and actively put me off reading articles I was interested in.