Absolutely breathtaking, Gensokyo in Minecraft

NiPah

May 8, 2009
TheNumber1Zero said:
Wait what? Somebody made Ghibli in Minecraft? The Texture Pack must be quite nice.
Yup

Original video had all the music, but that was removed :(.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Seriously, a world from a bullet hell game. There is something VERY wrong with that.
Not only is it a terrible, dead genre, but why ever would such a game need a backstory of that magnitude?

NiPah said:
TheNumber1Zero said:
Wait what? Somebody made Ghibli in Minecraft? The Texture Pack must be quite nice.
Yup

Original video had all the music, but that was removed :(.
This on the other hand is an awesome idea. Not quite middle earth but still very cool.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
I'm going to be "that guy" and stay on topic.

That was an interesting video. I don't have the time to sit through a 45 minute YouTube session but from what i saw, I was very impressed. It reminded me of that Middle Earth video from a while back. And people say that Minecraft is stupid. (Not sarcasm)

Yes, I have heard of the Touhou series. I have never played it. Not my cup of tea.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Cool video, but I'm not familiar with the setting... I had to wiki Tohou and Gensokyo before I knew what you were on about.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
That's pretty impressive.

However, I simply cannot care because it's based off of a Japanese bullet hell game. Nothing will make me say otherwise; I can literally not care about anything relating to a bullet hell game, specifically whatever nonsensical mask that the one-man development team has tried to cover such a game with.

Also, I find the OP's aggressive offense against people for not knowing the series and the OP's massive defense of Touhou's supposed rabid + enormous fanbase both disturbing.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
LilithSlave said:
Well LilithSlave, I came here with no knowledge of the subject and now have some understanding of a greater phenomenon at work. I don't think it might be as pervasive an interest as you believe, but it's adherents make up for that with their fervor...

I find the internet and cyberculture in general fascinating for these pocket universes and hyper-dense microcultures of interest blown open to macro scale accessibility, globally... Makes me feel a bit like I'm living in the future I contemplated in the past.

---

Since you seem to know this stuff, humor a bewildered outsider an inquiry: how the hell do you get all that Minecraft topography from this:

???

Is it based off the scrolling backdrop (such that you can see between the lasers), or is it from some extended fan story, cartoon etc?

----

For what it's worth, having examined it, Touhou really doesn't seem like my thing, but I'll concede that the Minecraft work is really cool and I like watching the boss fights on youtube, but I wouldn't enjoy actually playing it.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
LilithSlave said:
Wayneguard said:
I, literally, have no idea what you are talking about.
Then you've just lost your right to ever play video games again.

I'll be taking your license to play video games now. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

:p
Tou Hou, that's the bullet hell with the obnoxious fan base isn't it, who consider it the best bullet hell ever made, only because it's impossibly hard?

Yeah I don't hold it in high regard, and also only know the name, nothing about what you're talking about. His creation is impressive, though frankly I think the LoTR one is much better.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
LilithSlave said:
Hazy992 said:
Nope, genuinely no idea what it is. In fact you mentioning it is the first I've ever heard of it.
If this is true, and I still assert that I'm being trolled. Well... I didn't realize it were possible for my opinion of the Escapist to go any lower.

It is arguable the most famous shooting game in the world. Or certainly one of them. And I am one of several million hardcore fans that have been following it religiously for probably around a decade or close to it.
Hey hey...psssst. Tell you a secret.

It's a doozy.

Not everyone plays shooter games.

AMG right?

Seriously your condescending attitude was entirely unnecessary in this thread. Stay classy.
So in that regard instead of creating hype about something you've just alienated people who might of otherwise been interested.
What the hoo har.

As I am someone who DID know what it is, I'll just go ahead and say... 'okay yeah it's nice' but minecraft projects don't inspire me too much.

darron13

Jul 30, 2008
I've heard of Touhou, but never looked into or cared for it, hell I'm not even here for the video.
I just find this conversation oh so entertaining.

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
LilithSlave said:
Wayneguard said:

I'll be taking your license to play video games now. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I'm with Wayne here, no clue what you're talking about. Also, you can take my video game license once you get past my shotgun and crowbar.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Abandon4093 said:
Millions of views on Youtube is not impressive...
Meh, I'd say a few million views is fairly impressive. If you can consistently garner a million views with your videos, you can make a living off of it based on that alone (presuming you put them out on a fairly regular basis). That's something.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Yeeeeaaah, I'll be honest and say you lost me at "Touhou", OP. I know of it, but I like my Bullet Hell games somewhat manageable. I've played a few Danmakus at the behest of a friend and honestly? That's just masochistic.

Plus, there's a... plot, to all this? Something like a plot, at least? Goddesses and girls and pseudo-Japanese places and... stuff? Shooty bits focused on cute girls in colorful costumes?

Yeah, no. Nice work on the themed Minecraft build, though. I'm still much more partial to Ikaruga, and I really don't get why you seemed so surprised that some people wouldn't have heard of the Touhou series.

To put it bluntly, not all of us are named JewWario.

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
I had no idea either that "Touhou" was a thing. or even that their were other games like this out there. As few as I knew only 1942 was like this.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
LilithSlave said:
Wayneguard said:

No...just no. Don't be one of those people who thinks you aren't a "real gamer" if you haven't done x y and z. Besides, fandom's a funny thing. Just because Red Dwarf has a plethora of fans and a running sub-culture doesn't make it so well known as to be something I can start a conversation with anyone about.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
snowplow said:
That said, the rest of you people are ridiculous, instantly dismissing something because it originates from an asian country.
I think it's safe to say that probably wouldn't of eventuated if the OP had been a little more....nice.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Call me nerdy but i did know about Touhou. I'm not a huge fan of the games (even though they are pretty fun if you like a challenge) but Touhou fans sure make some kick-ass music. And, apparently, some kick-ass minecraft worlds.

Archer666

May 27, 2011
"You haven't heard about my obscure Japan-only bullet-hell game that doesn't appeal to people outside of the anime community and only exists as a doujin(LOOK IT UP YOU PHILISTINES!) series? U r not a gaemer! Harakiri plz."

That and the statement about Touhou being art is just amazingly hilarious. But that vid is pretty cool, actually. Gotta have taken quite a lot of time.