Abstract, virtually unheard-of old games you once owned/played

Pinklespork

Nov 21, 2010
Good day, Escapists!

I've had a couple of really old PS1 games in my time that I've either owned or rented from the video shop that I used to play all the time when I was a little kid, but no one I know has ever heard of them before!
My main example (which I completely forgot the name of and had to search relentlessly and abstractly to find) is Bubsy 3D. Man, that was one trippy game. And I mean...really trippy. Anyone ever play it? I youtubed it recently and it is just.../awful/.

So I ask you, what are your weird old games that you swear you managed to obtain the only existing copy of, based solely on its complete unheardofness?

...that is, if you can even remember the name

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Pikmin. So much of Pikmin, though it did sell fairly well.

It was really weird, but it made sense.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Dink Smallwood, that game was great back in the day and no one had heard of it! Apparently you can download it as freeware now so everyone should go take a look!

Pinklespork

Nov 21, 2010
smearyllama said:
Ah! I played a little of Pikmin! In fact it was your post about Pikmin which made me think of Bubsy (weird reasoning).

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
Had Vib Ribbon when it came out. Took me an age and no small change to find it again.
Now we just need it to turn up on the PSN.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
It's hardly unknown, but Beyond Good & Evil is a game I had to track down on the internet to get a copy of, played it to death, and loved every second of it. When I heard that a sequel might be on the way, I nearly orgasmed, and when I heard that it might not happen, I nearly died. It's a fantastic game that very few people bothered to play.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Pinklespork said:
smearyllama said:
Ah! I played a little of Pikmin! In fact it was your post about Pikmin which made me think of Bubsy (weird reasoning).
It was so much fun. If you've got a wii or the purple doom cube, you can pick it up for cheap.
But it now, oh lover of weird games!

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
Codename Eagle...
The grandfather of the Battlefield games, with fully functional tanks, planes and other forms of military equipment... And war Zeppelins!

And its actually the only game where im decent at sniping...
I traded it with an schoolfriend for Playboy Mansion... I think i won than trade... CE is oldschool awesome!

That Greek Guy

Jul 29, 2009
star shot space circus fever.
weirdest game i ever played. I never knew wtf was going on and i never found someone who heard it before

Dehumanised

Oct 19, 2010
Faery Tale Adventure for, well, I had it on Mega Drive but it was a port from Amiga/Commodore.

Vib Ribbon was awesome as mentioned.

The Golf Pro, if you're into golf, is a fantastic sim.

Bubsy 3D was awful but the first two for the Mega Drive were fantastic little platformers!

Duvans Mammor

Nov 8, 2010
Fire n Ice for the NES, also known as Solomons key 2 in Europe. It was sweet puzzle game where you played as a wizard who could create ice blocks to extinguish fire. No internet reviewer I've seen has talked about it. Someone really should.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty.

It was the original RTS, released by westwood years before C&C, based on the Dune world. Brilliant. 3 factions to choose from, and gameplay was much more balanced than any other RTS I've played since.

The title was briefly revived for a short while quite a few years ago, completely revamped and had the visuals brought up to (at the time current) standards. Released under the title Dune: 2000. There was also an expansion pack for it.

Our modern rigs are waaaaaayyyyyy too powerful for the original, but the updated version is definitely worth checking out.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Wild 9 Such a cool game....still not completed it though, first game I got on PS1, completed another level last month, was stuck 5 years

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Nevyrmoore said:
imperialreign said:
Our modern rigs are waaaaaayyyyyy too powerful for the original...
That's what DOSBox was created for...
True . . . but, IDK, what crippled form of DOS we have ain't exactly the same as what I was used to aeons ago. Close enough, but, meh . . .

Firebert

Jan 27, 2009
Lost Eden, the first game I ever played, was a pretty fun adventure game set in a world where humans and dinosaurs coexist. It was pretty fun.

Vek

Aug 18, 2008
oplinger said:
Blake Stone. Came out 1 week before Doom. >.> No one seems to know what it is.
The Apogee alien-killing FPS. Built on the Wolfenstein 3d engine. Good game.

IQ: Intelligent Qube was awesome. Jumpman Lives! and Jumpman Junior.