Absurd debates you have had

Jonny1188

Oct 8, 2010
I've had quite a few.

The pronunciation of "buffet" - I say "buff-ey," my friend called it a "boo-fey."

After Snakes on a Plane came out, me and my friend argued about the danger of Snakes on a Boat. He figured jumping in the water would be safe, but I argued that some snakes could swim. The Blockbuster girl then called my friend stupid for not knowing that.

Most recently, me and my friend were watching Arrested Development, and when Carl Weathers was on he said "Isn't that the guy from Happy Gilmore?" I said no and probably called him dumb, but then he looked it up on Wikipedia and I felt like a dumb ass.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Gaiseric said:
Not to long ago I started watching The Pacific with my older bother and he had the idea that they shouldn't have used ships to transport troops or supplies, they should have just used planes to parachute drop them wherever. Now my brother considers himself to be Rommel and Sun-Tzu rolled into one(in other words he thinks himself a military genius and can't ever be wrong). I tried to tell him that would be impractical and a logistical nightmare(silk for parachutes, pilots, navigators, mechanics, airfields, the number of planes needed, jump training, problems moving heavy equipment, range on transports, gas, etc) he proceeded to say that it would be faster and that I was wrong. Period. And then he left.
Oh man, I know someone who is like that. He seems to think that because he's played CoD and similar FPS games that he knows everything that should be done in a military sense. Weapons, transport, tactics, etc.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Which way do you place the toilet paper? Over or under? That discussion went on forever... Still hasn't ended.

Daggedawg

Dec 8, 2010
I had a few debates with one of my high school friends about who would win in a fight between Spiderman and Batman. It's obviously Spiderman, due to his innate abilities. (No disrespect to The Dark Knight, but that Spider Sense just gives Spidey too much of an edge.)

weker

May 27, 2009
I had a big debate with someone who claims reviews are written with no opinion.
Just to clarify he didn't mean they were objective, he mean there is no opinion WHAT SO EVER.
I did try to explain how that is impossible and even pointed out things he had written himself which contradicted his statement but he would have none of it.

Also had a debate that there is such a things as Hardcore games and casual games, he just claimed there was only hardcore and casual gamers, not games.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
well i had a LONG drunken debate with a friend over what shape an 'oblong' is.
He was saying oval i was saying rectangular.... Loooooooong debate

DazBurger said:
Which way do you place the toilet paper? Over or under? That discussion went on forever... Still hasn't ended.
over

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I and my friend were arguing during our RE class about how the universe was created since the subject came up in class, we drifted off from the class discussion and the argument was: Did Unicorns make the universe or Nyan cat?

standokan

May 28, 2009
I once had a discussion with my friend, he said that tigers are female lions and I said that tigers are a different species. Oddly enough, in the back of my head I knew (or thought to know) that tigers actually are female lions.

ShadowAurora

Sep 26, 2010
me and and online buddy debated over something silly

he said americans ruined the british vocabulary when we became independent

after he heard a canadian girl say caramel

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
I had an argument over what was the correct term for a flat-top mountain. I said peninsula, my friend says plateau. Turns out it was Mesa. The absurdity comes in when we get into a conversation as to why my friend was not less wrong than I was.
You are more wrong. A peninsula is like a sliver of land in the ocean (like a mini-island) while a Plateau is like a flat area in a high place (like a flat piece of rock jutting out from a mountain. Neither of which is a flat-topped mountain but 'Plateau' is a closer answer than 'Peninsula'.

You are therefore the most wrong :p

---

I had a debate with one of my mates when we saw a map labelled 'the world upside down' which was basically a world map but flipped upside down so that Australia was in the northern hemisphere and the U.S was in the southern hemisphere.

We debated over whether or not its possible that the world is actually seen as upside down or at a completely wrong angle. I argued that the world is like that (southern hemisphere is the south side of Earth) while he argued that there was no way of knowing if we are viewing the world at just a random angle (that Earth is a ball in space and could be seen at any angle regardless of how it orbits around the sun).

We decided in the end to just stick with our beliefs and leave it at that after like an hr arguing about it.

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
ezeroast said:
well i had a LONG drunken debate with a friend over what shape an 'oblong' is.
He was saying oval i was saying rectangular.... Loooooooong debate

DazBurger said:
over
Over is correct until you have kids.

OT: Debates with my boss on why the customer isn't always right.

New York Patrick

Jul 29, 2009
So one time about 6 years ago I had an arguement with someone over whether or not the Americans were a significant presence in World War II... followed by an argument over which side they fought on... followed by me explaining that it was historically, physically, and biologically impossible for their grandfather to have fought in the airforce against the ("invading") Japanese in Vancouver in 1844... followed by me explaining that it is equally impossible for New York and California to have a border war 9 years later, using civil war era weapons...

It wasn't a fun day.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
My friend thinks people choose to be gay.

I literally tried to explain why he was wrong in 1 sentence. Doesn't go well!

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
Hmm... I've had an argument over whether the new millenium started 2000 or 2001 with a complete stranger for well over an hour.
I'm still sticking with 2000.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
A.S.V.S.

That stands for alt.startrek.vs.starwars

At one time I had more posts in that news group than anyone one else. In the history of the news group. So yeah, I've had more than my fair share of absurd debates.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Daveman said:
When does a knife become a sword?

Many hours of discussion ensued. None of it was sensible.
Never. Swords have sharp edges on both sides. Knives do not.

At least that's how it was explained to me.

The SettingSun

Oct 4, 2010
I had a debate with somebody as to whether they were a death-eater or not.

"I stole the life from that child"
"He's just passed out....."
"No, no. Me and wormtail did it half an hour ago."

It went on for around 3 hours. It was a very drunk night.

CaptainHook69

Nov 6, 2010
Just_A_Glitch said:
That same friend and another friend of mine are also constantly debating whether or not Superman and Lois Lane could have sex. One of them believes they could, while the other thinks he'd "shoot right through here", so to say.

Yeah, they're pretty dumb debates.
Well technically thats still having sex, she just doesn't survive it.