Accents and The Escapist!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I have no accent what so ever althought this guy I know thought I had an American accent.

sdfgsdfgdfsg

Jun 23, 2010
Ugh, i have what i call a "russian tourist accent".Mainly it's me saying "f" instead of "th" in some words(somefing, Souf, fing, etc), having problems with the "r" letter in such way that i always overextend it which makes me sound a bit like a retarded pirate, and trying too hard to pronounce every word.I would give anything to get rid of my shitty accent, but, obviously, you can't pickup a good english accent in Russia, so, yeah. :\

Rinky78

May 3, 2010
I grew up in SE Finland so that's where my native language accent is from. My English tends to lean towards British accent more than American, although, obviously, people can hear I'm not British.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
<youtube=gpSgsMswy2M>
No, I don't have anything like that, it's just so absurdly idiotic it's funny again.

I actually use a mild Manc accent most of the time although I can do a few ones. Talking to an Asian tourist in a German-speaking country in thick Glaswegian is great.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Tubez said:
Scarim Coral said:
I have no accent what so ever althought this guy I know thought I had an American accent.
Everyone has an accent.
No really I don't really have an accent at all. I'm guessing this is the result of my parent wanting me to speak Chinese but growing up in a English schools had kind of mess up my listenning so I haven't pick up an accent.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Um... Canadian? Without the eh and aboot? It's pretty much the average American accent, I think...

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
I'm from the South coast of England, Dorset, but my parents aren't from there, so I don't have a Dorset accent. I don't know really, it's just Southern, but not posh enough to be RP. Around certain people I start dropping my t's for some reason.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Lucem712 said:
So, I've noticed that the forums tend to be pretty diverse, nationality speaking. So, Escapist, what sort of accents do you have? (I thought about a poll, but honestly, there are so many kinds, I'm not even capable of listing half of them)

To kick it off,

I'm from south eastern New Mexico,USA (Before you ask, yes, its a state)

My town is about...10-15 minutes from the Texan border, so everyone here tends to have a bit of a Texan drawl. Nothing like you see on TV/Film, but we do say

"Y'all" (as in, you guys)
"Fixing to" (as in, about to)
and using in' instead of ing
Wantin' oppose to wanting

Now, we put it all together

"What are y'all doin', I'm fixin' to go to the store"
But do you say my absolute favorite Texasism? "Caihepyew?" I love that. Makes me smile every time someone says it to me.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I'm from Lidingö in Stockholm (Sweden), which should means that I am incabable of of sayng the letter "i". Luckily, the Lidingö accent is barley here any more.

JohnnyFartPant5

Mar 7, 2012
I have an odd hybrid of Australian and English as my accent. Born in UK, raised in Australia, returned to UK to live. It gets more Aussie as I drink, get stressed or chat to a stranger.

My wife (who is Russian) loves it. I have to explain my accent to people at least twice a week.

The majority of this town speak like chavs. I was keen to avoid sounding like that so purposely kept my accent. I think it worked.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Well, um, Norwegian accent..I guess, with dialect of course, from western coast, I guess, (Ålesund, wikipedia it ^^).

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I don't know... Some people think I sound british but I don't think so. I'm Australian with an Irish background.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Canadian. Different from American accents, really. Most American accents have slightly more pronounced vowels than the Canadian accents. I'm pretty good at recognizing and imitating accents. I was in London once, and I was talking to the guy who ran the hotel. I was sort of imitating him, and he didn't notice. I then switched back to my regular accent, and he was pretty surprised.
I learned how to imitate the various UK accents by watching various BBC shows, actually. Pretty much all I watch nowadays.

Also, my Ukrainian background and knowledge of Russian allows me to imitate the Russian accent in various levels. I can do a horrible parody, realistic one, and so on. Depends if I'm doing it for a laugh or not.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Tubez said:
Scarim Coral said:
Everyone has an accent.
No really I don't really have an accent at all. I'm guessing this is the result of my parent wanting me to speak Chinese but growing up in a English schools had kind of mess up my listenning so I haven't pick up an accent.
Everyone has an accent.

"What is an accent?
An accent is a way of pronouncing a language. It is therefore impossible to speak without an accent."

Perhaps you cannot hear that you got one?

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
Midwestern Accent. Primarily from my parents who grew up in Ohio, and upstate New York from living there, which is just a midwestern accent as well.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Swindonian accent. It's an accent primarily spoken in the Swindon area of Wiltshire which is in the south west of England.

It's a typical non-quirky English accent. Only we cannot pronounce our T's. For example, when we say 'alright' We just just say Alrigh'.

And Tortoise, we say Tor'oise.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
A south west england farmer accent/pirate accent, we emphasise our R's on every word, so ARRR!