Accents Are Beautiful.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
The Australian accent is good.
At least when it mixes with the kind of girl I like.

As for my own accent.
It's strange, people say I have a Australian accent, yet others say I have an American accent.
I've lived in Australia for years now, with barely any travel time to other countries.

Do I watch Youtube that much, and can it change your accent?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Having been born in Australia and living my whole life in Australia, one would presume that I have an Australian accent.

Strangely though, the locals often seem to disagree. I've had people assume I was English, I've had people ask me, "So are you from England or Scotland?" I've had people ask me if I'm Irish. Once I even had some chick from Ireland ask me if I was Irish.

It's a bit weird.

As for accents I like, I'm fond of many UK accents. But then there are others that sounds awful. I'm not familiar enough to say which is which or put names to any of them. You folks seem to have a different accent for each square mile of your country, which is just madness.

I really like central African accents. I don't think I've ever met a Nigerian whose voice I didn't like.

South African accents sound a bit comical to me. They make me giggle.

Southern American accents can be charming, but I suspect that what I'm thinking of is "Hollywood actor imitating Southern American" rather than the real thing.

I remember when we did one of those record-your-voice threads there was an Escapist with an accent that they described as a combination of Irish, Swedish and American. Which I thought would be bizarre but actually ended up sounding delightful.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...weirdly, despite being an Aussie bloke through and through, I've got an American accent. Haven't a damn clue how or why, but that's that, apparently. Maybe years of watching American TV when I was a kid did something to me.

Honestly, I have a bit of a problem with most accents - though mainly for a hearing reason. I'm hard of hearing (not deaf), so people with heavy accents tend to mean I can't understand a word of what they're saying. They can be speaking perfect English, but I'm only going to get half of it.

It... really sucks, since there's been a few occasions where someone I've been talking to felt bad about their English skills and I had to reassure them that it wasn't them, it was the fact that my ears are fucked up.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Strangely in the past I thought South African and Australian sounded similar. Until I heard them more clearly. Similar to Scottish and Irish but those two are linked through different forms of Gaelic.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
No clue what my accent sounds like. I speak English and know I don't sound like my countrymen, but I also know I don't sound American or British.

I love British accents as well as Scottish and Australian.

I hate it when my own countrymen try to speak English, either because they can't speak English or because they try too hard to sound American. Colonial mentality is still alive and well here in the Philippines.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I have a very 'posh' English voice apparently (live in Scotland so obviously teased in school about it etc) but I think that has mellowed over the years.

I always remember when I was at the Escapist Expo in North Carolina that I was legitimately asked if I was faking my accent by 2 seperate people.

Sep 14, 2009
1) I have the most bland and monotonous accent in the midwest, there is a reason why we have hundreds of call centers in our area and why foreigners learning english love coming to our area, we speak the most plain/clear english possible (ever listen to an instructional video on how to speak english? we are as boring as they are with our accent.) If I find an accent I like, I can usually mimic it fine enough, but I almost always revert back to my bland accent. My family has two foreign exchange students right now, from Italy and germany, and I'll mock both of them fluently for a half hour straight going back and forth, they think it's a bit impressive but I just can't help but mock bad english accents.

2) it honestly depends on the person and pitch of their voice, irish and scottish are pleasant to me though from what I've heard. Not so much an accent, but holy shit do I love raspy voices..my ears get wet as fuck whenever a girl with a raspy voice starts talking.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I love exotic accents. They're one of the biggest turn-ons for me in a girl. Especially European ones. Overexposure to Scottish and Welsh means I find them annoying now but I love hearing German, Scandinavian or eastern European accents.

My own accent is pretty standard English; I'm from the home counties so I speak 'properly' but not ridiculously posh. I currently live in the north though, where my pronunciations of Castle and Grass get me made fun of. Though the locals can't talk- half the time I can't actually understand what they're saying (especially in newcastle) and find myself exaggerating my accent in response.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I love accents, particularly accents from (southern?) England.

Unfortunately, I am stuck with the bland General American accent despite being Canadian. My aunts have said that I have a midwestern accent but I'm sure that's primarily my mother's influence.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I don't think I have one. The guy who did Commander Shepard's voice is from not far from where I live so I guess I sound like him, only less... well, like Commander Shepard obviously.

As for other peoples accents, sure, love em. I confess I also have a weakness for the Scottish accent in particular.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I took the liberty of recording myself speaking about accents so that you beautiful people may gain clarity as to how I sound, because in all honesty, I just have a plain ol' American accent (never knew that was a thing until I heard Hugh Laurie speak in his native accent).

My accent! [http://vocaroo.com/i/s1AtkUzKO3C6]

CeeBod

Sep 4, 2012
I'm teaching English in Tokyo now, and so get to inflict my regional accent on many new and unsuspecting learners! They expect all Brits to speak with the posh newsreader accent and are slightly surprised by my Blackburn/Manc accent ;o)

a u-tube clipette of someone with a Blackburn accent for those that have never heard its beauty b4: