Accused of being "foreign" when playing online?

Scubamike1978

Feb 13, 2008
Hey Joe said:
People think I'm French for some reason.

Although that may have something to do with the fact that when I go online I tend to talk in a french accent and my screen name is "J'ai voudrais un croissant"
You'd think Americans would love the French. Especially with the whole War of Independence thing. If it wasn't for the French it'd be "Hail to the Queen" (Bless her), not "Hail to the Chief". But then they seem to know it subconsciously. Why else would you rename French Fries as Freedom Fries unless you were equating France with Freedom.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
It's ironically good fun to argue the awesomeness of Canada with douchebags. The accuse Canada of being covered in snow, I respond "just as much as Detroit or Seattle".
They ask what Canada is good for? "Just ALL of California's electricity, 90% of lumber, Albertan oil, fish and various other things consitituting 20% of the American export/import economy. (Significantly larger portion than any other contries contribution.)
They ask what Canada ever invented? The telephone, lightbulb, Canadarm and International Timezones to name a few. The last guy that made this argument with me only tried to refute lightbulb: "Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb stupid", to which I retorted "After Henry Woodward sold the plans and invention to him. Woodward couldn't afford the patent."
And we contibute significantly to the gaming industry, because BioWare, Ubisoft and Relic are all Canadian. And A BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology) student wrote the code for Source Engine.

Choukou

Jan 23, 2008
I've never been accused of being anything other than british (from what I can remember anyway, it's probably happened before, but I can't remember it). But when they ask me where I'm from, and I say Wales, most Americans reactions are something like '...where's that?' or 'Oh, in England'. It only seems to be America that doesn't know we exist. To them, Wales is apparently a part of England rather than a small appendage on the side of it...yeah...hate to break it to ya, but we're not.

supermanNBC

Nov 21, 2007
ive been accused of being older and sometimes a 12 year old for some odd reason...i really don;t reply as it is below me, as for foreign, hasn't happened yet... and seriously before u start accusing someone for being foreign, be respectful and play the damn game as a team.

Scubamike1978

Feb 13, 2008
supermanNBC said:
ive been accused of being older and sometimes a 12 year old for some odd reason...i really don;t reply as it is below me, as for foreign, hasn't happened yet... and seriously before u start accusing someone for being foreign, be respectful and play the damn game as a team.
Exactly, look at Halo's Marines, we've got Aussies, Kiwis, Americans, Poms, you name it.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Veteran said:
I've also decided to spend an entire play session on xbox live speaking German, i got comments like "Go back to Africa!" and "speak American you dumbshit!" doing that, which generally causes me to piss myself laughing.
I can speak Chinese. Hmm...tempting...

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
I can't relate but I can sympathize. Truth is, most Americans don't know the difference between a real British speaker and a real Australian speaker. Truthfully all information we get if from movies (wonder how many times this has happened[sarcasm]). Mostly they just dish this shit out because they think it makes them cool or empowers them, as the American Media pumps the youth full of the "America is Better than Everyone Else" syndrome. So it's left up to that individual to decide how they are going to act. Mostly these children or underdeveloped teenagers just aren't mature enough to control themselves and act civilized. I'm sorry that you all have to put up this crap from people.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
I have this amazing ability, I call it "mute". Thanks to my name, and that I actually type out "eh", I usually figure out pretty quick who I use my super power on. ;)

The rest of you are fun to game with, we get to share swear words in multiple languages and in many slangs (thanks brits, irish, scots, hawaiins, aussies, and kiwis for a few more ... hehe, I got in so much trouble once for my sister a wanker years ago) Oh merde! ;)

The Potato Lord

Dec 20, 2007
Being one of the few non-retarded U.S.(America forms two continents so calssifying U.S. gamers as american gamers is a bit innaccurate) on online games I just want to say the intelligent portion of U.S. gamers probably hate the stupid U.S. gamers more than gamers from other countries do because:
1)the stupid U.S. gamers confuse the freedom of speech with "right to be an ignorant dumbass" since the freedom of spech is really just the right to not be persecuted for reporting the truth or expressing an informed opinion

2)The stupid U.S. gamers constantly spout ignorant irritating crap into thier headsets which while annoying to Gamers from other countries infuriates me knowing that these idiots are representing our country as a bunch of intolerant, hateful,and stupid people.

Raven0s

Feb 16, 2008
I totally understand mate, Im from NZ myself but Ive been living overseas for the past 4 years. Ive been accused in game and IRL or being German, Italian, Irish, British, Strein, Danish, the list goes on. To avoid this happening anymore in game for example I switched to the EU version of WoW where people are from all over Europe and the only thing they do is tease me about my accent and shit but no "wow your from new zealand? dont they have like WILD DINGO's running around the sreets there??" (yes an american actually asked me that)
And you know that bridge between NZ and Aus? Yeah I head over there on the weekends just for a change of scenery.

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
I've encountered the American confusion between British and Aus/Kiwi before but don't usually turn my mic on during online games. Although now I'm tempted to log on to Rainbow Six: Lockdown and talk in a thick Afrikaaner accent (although to be frank, binding a sound file of the "diplomatic immunity" bit from Lethal Weapon 2 to a handy key might take less effort and achieve the same result.)

Count_de_Monet

Nov 21, 2007
I get accused of being a girl because, well, my father blessed me with a very non-male voice and for that I will hate him until I die.

Also, I find a lot of you stupid foreigners get waaaayyyy too worked up when us Americans start picking on you. Do I get all huffy when people call me a girl or a homosexual? No, I play along because it's far more fun to keep the chatter going and separate the true morons from the grifers who simply want to provoke a negative response.

It's even more fun to turn the tables on them and start tossing insults back or just do what I do most of the time, play with players muted and no voice chat.

windfish

Feb 13, 2008
Folk, please read this, especially the bit after the quote, and especially the bold text.

I am from the US, and I don't use team-speak or netspeak or anything like that, but every single person I have ever met asks me if I'm from "England or something". This is odd, because neither of my parents are English, neither are my grandparents, and so on down the line a few generations. I'm also not affecting and English accent, or even the "grand tour of the isles" that is most USer's impersonation. I just have a unique way of speaking, that is shared by my younger sister, my mother, and to my knowledge no one else in the world. I tend to annunciate, and I have a bit of speech impediment that prevents me from using the American 'r' at the end of words. It gets a little tiring now and then to tell everyone I meet that I've never even crossed the Atlantic ocean, but I can occasionally have fun with it (Where are you from? - China. - seriously? - Yes. - But you're white! - yes, it's a thing - and it goes on. They never believe me.) The exception is English folk, who just ask me where I'm from, because it's confusing to them.

Manta173 said:
No offense to the general HALO population out there, but stop picking on us hicks.... from my experience its the dense frat guys that play halo, or the 13 year old kids who think that they are the greatest thing on Earth.

Please for the sake of the country don't take them as a representative sample of our population.
Thank you, sir.

Dear Rest of the World,

We are sorry that because our nation is so large, our unsavory people are more visible than others. People from the US don't judge the entire populace based on what they hear on the HALO chat, which is (And I quote Penny-Arcade) the home of "total fuckwads." And from what I understand, there are some rather unfriendly and ignorant people NOT from the US as well.

Also, our media doesn't feed us "America is better than everywhere else" propaganda. (FOX doesn't count...please...) Most networks like to remind us on occasion about the fact that the UK plans to power every home by wind power in the year not-to-long-from-now, and that we should probably get on that. I'd like to remind you that the US is a rather large country with a whole lot of different types of people in it, many of whom are actually smart, clever, nice, and fun to be around. We have our assholes, you have yours.

Plus, British folk - be happy. We have ingrained in our culture the belief that the severity of an English accent is in direct proportion to the intelligence of the speaker. We know it doesn't make sense, but every movie we've ever seen has supported this belief.

(Just for the record, in case you didn't know, President Bush has one of the lowest approval ratings of presidents in history among our own populace, and we have had some really bad presidents. So for the most part, we don't like him either.)

And if you don't like the ignorant folk who frequent the internet, comment on YouTube videos, and occasionally play video games asking you if you ride an alligator, or if you live in an igloo, or if you somehow have to feel grateful for WWII or whatever, just remember that these people don't represent the populace, and most of them are 12 anyway. Besides - while playing a video game, trash talk is so ridiculously rampant and out of control, that they probably don't mean it and just want to get a rise out of you, or just take out some frustration. (Or they might be joking). Don't pretend you haven't done the same.

Oh, and by the way. If you don't like ignorant stereotypes being made about you, for goodness sake stop making ignorant stereotypes about us! Do you want to know how tired I get of feeling like I have to apologize for my country on an international forum? I don't have to! We're not all fat, we don't all drive SUV's, we are not all cowboys (not that there's anything confounded WRONG with that - where do you think beef comes from?), we aren't racist (hello, Europe - got problems?), we're not stupid, we don't go around screaming "LIBURTY" and stuff (I'm talking to you, Yahtzee, as if you read these forums), we think the French are all right - most of us just laughed when they thought about naming French Fries (didn't the English invent those? Maybe that's just an internet lie) Freedom Fries, because we were all pretty sure it was a joke, we don't carry guns everywhere, we aren't huge nationalists, we don't really like war that much and are doing our best to end things, we have some of the best universities in the world, and for goodness sake Southern people aren't stupid! (I'm talking to us Northern Americans on that last one, too.)

Yes, I know we frown upon ranting here, but I really think some things need said.

EDIT: I welcome the replies of those who took the time to read all that. Let me know civilly if you disagree, or if you don't like my tone, or would like me to stop typing so much. But save it if it's just a "well, this one time somebody said..." because that means you didn't read what I had to say.

windfish

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I never seem to have this problem because my voice (over a microphone) sounds like everyone and no one .I can be run of the day american during the day and a normal Aussie by night, I am everywhere and I am nowhere, I am everything and nothing, I am well known yet am a stranger to all, I am Fire Daemon.

uhhh sorry but I got a little bit distracted there but I think the point I was trying to make. I usually can fit in with any culture or society and make many friends from any country.

Ciarog

Nov 21, 2007
Anarchemitis said:
It's ironically good fun to argue the awesomeness of Canada with douchebags. The accuse Canada of being covered in snow, I respond "just as much as Detroit or Seattle".
As far as I'm concerned, any place that gets average snowfall for more than 5 days out of the year is a tundra. :p

Never done any podcasting. If it's anything like telephone or citizen's band then I can say with fair certianty that I'd seldom be tagged as anything but a North Georgia country boy, maybe occasionally mistaken as Texan or Scotsman.

When writing, however, it's quite often that I'll often get mistaken as being from England, Ireland or Canada, probably because I still use alot of Commonwealth/pre-Webster spelling, and I like to randomly insult people in Irish.