Acheivements? Why do you get them?

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
because its my favorite drinking game with friends, play any game with a million easy achievements and take turns in half hour shifts, every time you make an achievement, the rest drink a beer, last man standing wishes he wasn't.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
BECAUSE I VALIDATE MYSELF BY HOW WELL PEOPLE ONLINE RESPECT MY BUTTON-CLICKING!!!

(Protip: I'm a single-player PC gamer, so no, disregard that)

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
I usually play the game, and earn archivements for something i do along my gaming.
I really never look on what to do for them, because they give me only Points...
I only hunt for archivements when they are "Complete the Game in (game-mode)" because that proves my Skill or when they are scavengerhunts that unlock ingame things...like the Laptops in CoD4 or the Skulls in Halo3, because they make the game replayable...or more fun in the case of the Laptops (yay for Slomotion-supergrenade-tirerain sessions!)

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
Singing Gremlin said:
Because I love the noise they make when it flashes up that I've unlocked it.
Yeah, I like that too. But whenever I see my controller lights flashing I immediately think I need to plug it in.

However, the only time I really concentrated on acheivements was for the free, pre-loaded game, Hexic HD. For some reason I got really good at that game, so I liked going for the acheivements.

Zamber0ni

Jan 3, 2008
I go for them only if they're not absolutely ridiculous and unattainable (getting 100% in GTA 4 is a prime example.) They tend to give you a goal that you otherwise wouldn't even think of. A good achievement adds to the game, instead of taking away from it.

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
Same reason people want to beat the high score.

Because it's there, and you want to beat the game/someone else to PROVE YOU ARE!

That and the chicks.......

assassin18

Apr 28, 2008
Does OCD tendencies count?

If not, then because I prove my worth as a gamer one achievement at a time

FranicalFrazical

May 5, 2008
I get them by accident I don't really care about getting them, just want to play the game.
My friend who shall remain nameless (JAMIE) is an Achievement madman, but its his pride and glory so I let him boast about it

CatcherJJ

May 9, 2008
Just because I'm one of those crazy gamers who feels the need to completely and totally beat the snot out of every game I play. I don't do it so much for the points, because I could really, really care less about a number, but just as a checklist of sorts. If I can get all or close to all of the achievements, I've played the game to it's fullest.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Achievements in video games or almost anything except real life I think are arbitrary and possibly demeaning to those who are newly joining. My 950+ post rank is something that someone is probably coveting, and I find is absolutely arbitrary.
If I was feeling particularly intense on the same opinion, I might say "Why not make the Rank say 'Better than Thou', or 'Superior'?".

I saw it coming if I was to get banned for this.

noolli

Feb 5, 2008
they are a measure which allows you to say "i am a better console gamer than you". which is great until you have had you arse handed to you after playing the game for 60+ hours straight thinking you are a pro. *dies a little inside*.

XenoNick

May 14, 2008
Same as all of the above. it also just makes me feel like im not suckin at the game an makes me wanna keep playin it. gamerscore means buger all. me an my mate try to beat eachother but only for a laugh.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Oh, I don't want to be off topic but I fail to find this in any other threads/sites/search engines.

Are there any achievements that have an in-game effect? Not achievements that are actually in the game (CoD4 challenges per-say) - but an achievement that you completed, and then because you completed that certain achievement, you got something more than just 10-100 points added to your score.