ACTA Passed, we failed.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Obama proves irreversibly and forever that he is a real piece of shit who just doesn't give a fuck and has SIGNED ACTA: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/10/us-signs-international-anti-piracy-accord.ars

I know Ireland has signed ACTA too, haven't heard about any other countries as of yet, but it's so late in the game by now that even if we knew we couldn't stop it.

So congratulations everyone! Our combined apathy and inattentiveness has completely fuced over the internet we love and enjoy.

All we can hope to do now is damage control, and stop the Trans-Pacific Parternership, WHICH IS EVEN WORSE THAN ACTA: http://www.ustr.gov/tpp
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110105/02301112524/son-acta-worse-meet-tpp-trans-pacific-partnership-agreement.shtml

And, although it goes without saying, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Lol, dude, the treaty is about HARDWARE PIRACY, like DVD-bootlegging. This isn't SOPA. The internet will be fine.

Edit: Actually, it seems to cover software as well, but not in any way that wasn't already enforced. What's the big deal?

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Xartyve2 said:
I'll be glad once we all get over this annoying (and slightly hypocrtical) "dah intahnet is ehn danger the gubbement is evil" phase and maybe move on to freaking out about something else. Like those aliens. Up to something, I tell ya.
Hear hear. According to this website, a psychic said there are aliens on the moon.

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
When will the "bill x IS SO MUCH WORSE THAN bill y AND WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING WE HAVE EVER HELD DEAR" stuff stop? It is getting rather annoying.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Thamous said:
When will the "bill x IS SO MUCH WORSE THAN bill y AND WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING WE HAVE EVER HELD DEAR" stuff stop? It is getting rather annoying.
I'd say when we stop getting horrendous bills written by the entertainment industry to shore up their outdated business model. We need to go back to the copyright provisions that were actually in the constitution, not the BS that we're saddled with now because corporations with lots of copyrights (and therefore money) are good at bribing congress.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Realitycrash said:
Lol, dude, the treaty is about HARDWARE PIRACY, like DVD-bootlegging. This isn't SOPA. The internet will be fine.
In my eyes, ACTA is potentially worse. SOPA could have killed the internet. ACTA could kill so much more. Humans, for one thing.
Humans are more important to you than the internet? Your priorities are ridiculously skewed man.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Thamous said:
... well I assume it will stop when we finally decide to stop proposing bills that will destroy everything we have ever held dear >.>

So basically everyone used to handwrite everything, and then the printing press was invented and it changed the whole world. Suppose, then, that some stupid handwritten publishing firm comes along and goes "gasp! These newfangled printing presses will make it easy for people to copy our books without any effort and they won't have to pay us anymore for taking the time to handwrite them and we'll lose a shitton of money!" So he gets a law in place that bans the printing of books. Next thing you know it's the year 2012, and we're all still a bunch of catholic assholes in the dark ages who don't know anything because everyone teaches us shit in a language none of us understand, and we think that's okay because we're stupid like that because we never learned to read because the damn printing press was banned. And then we all die of black plague when we're 12 anyway so it's not like it matters.

Yes, that is one hell of a slippery slope, but it gets the point across: The reason people make such a big fucking deal out of these things is verily because these things are a big fucking deal.

Blooshi

Jan 26, 2012
Uh, ACTA was signed internationally by the United States, Canada, Morocco, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea with strong support from the European Union, Mexico, and Switzerland. Congress didn't get a say, and it's not America's law, it's been in the making for years now and has support from the worlds leading powers. In all honesty, unless you think that some of the leading democracies in the world are against you, you shouldn't be too worried.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Realitycrash said:

Edit: Actually, it seems to cover software as well, but not in any way that wasn't already enforced. What's the big deal?
Wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG3FpBzszFg

At least it's like that in Ireland. Read the article I posted, it can very easily (and most likely WILL) spread to the states.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
I've had enough of companies selling us hardware that will never be ours and games that have expired. I'm hunkering down with cookies and milk and hitting my books.

No one can ACTA, SOPA or 'it's-not-yours-you-only-paid-for-the-right-to-bring-it-home' books.