Action-Packed Kingdoms of Amalur Trailer Stabs Ogre in Stomach

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Action-Packed Kingdoms of Amalur Trailer Stabs Ogre in Stomach

Players are going to violently stab lots of ogres and other foes in 38 Studios RPG Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

38 Studios' saw it at PAX East 2011 [http://www.amazon.com/Kingdoms-Amalur-Reckoning-Xbox-360/dp/B0044SA70M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1302553248&sr=8-1]. Now's your chance to get a look at it too, with the release of Reckoning's very first gameplay trailer.

As you can see, Reckoning isn't Devil May Cry [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302554811&sr=1-1], but 38 says it'll be easy to learn and won't require memorization of combos.

The trailer gives us a look at the varied types of skills and weaponry that players will wield in Reckoning. In addition to giant hammers and swords, players will toss bladed chakram, strike with ice staves, and use many different magical abilities to take down foes.

Some of the more powerful abilities seen here, like the dual energy blades coming out of the character's hands at the end, are Reckoning's context-based finishing moves that haven't been fully revealed yet. As you can see, they spill quite a bit of blood.

Throw in a Diablo [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Pc/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302555072&sr=1-2]-style loot system and a gorgeous world to explore, and you've got yourself a game to look forward to if everything comes together in the end. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is expected for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, but doesn't have a release date nailed down yet.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
Amazing. I shall be pre-ordering this asap! 2011 is going to be a damn expensive game year, worth it though.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
I like the idea of an MMO with an actual combat system, but the video shows a LOT of pre-rendered "locked" animations, which usually means those "pseudo-combat actual statistic spread sheet illustrator" systems that plague most MMOs.

If this is a real MMO with a real combat system, without stupid grind, I'm interested... But I'm taking a "seeing is believing" approach. I reserve further comments or expectations until some actual gameplay comes out.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Caliostro said:
I like the idea of an MMO with an actual combat system, but the video shows a LOT of pre-rendered "locked" animations, which usually means those "pseudo-combat actual statistic spread sheet illustrator" systems that plague most MMOs.

If this is a real MMO with a real combat system, without stupid grind, I'm interested... But I'm taking a "seeing is believing" approach. I reserve further comments or expectations until some actual gameplay comes out.
So I was confused into thinking it was an MMO as well somehow, but looking over their site it's going to be a single player game. Which is good for me because it increases my chances of checking it out.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Isn't this the game that had RA Salvatore and Todd McFarlane on the design team? I've been curious about that since I heard of it.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Slycne said:
So I was confused into thinking it was an MMO as well somehow, but looking over their site it's going to be a single player game. Which is good for me because it increases my chances of checking it out.
They are doing a singleplayer RPG first, then following up with an MMO. Schilling saw that WoW worked by having a built in audience from the RTS and he wanted to follow that same formula.

Greg

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Greg Tito said:
Slycne said:
They are doing a singleplayer RPG first, then following up with an MMO. Schilling saw that WoW worked by having a built in audience from the RTS and he wanted to follow that same formula.

Greg
Ah, ok. I was seriously confused as to how or where I had gotten it into my head that they were developing an MMO.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Was hopeful until I saw console port.

Hopefully they realize the console interfaces SUCK on PCs and they make a one designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse rather than 8 buttons and a thumbstick.

Or failing that hopefully it is at least as good as Champions of Norath or Baldur's Gate on ps2 before that.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Not a huge fan of the oversized weapons, but it looks pretty stunning - not terribly original, but stunning.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
The participation of Ken Rolsten in this game constitutes more than a cursory glance, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Consider my interest piqued.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Slycne said:
It REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY looked like one?

That said, I maintain my point. This could either be awesome or another boring "single player wow clone". I'm on wait and see.