Activision CEO Says Electronic Arts Takes the Souls of Studios

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision CEO Says Electronic Arts Takes the Souls of Studios

In a new interview with Electronic Arts [http://www.porfolio.com]takes the souls of the studios it acquires.

Confirming that interest in World of Warcraft [http://www.blizzard.com] MMOG was the impetus behind Activision's entry into the Vivendi deal, Kotick said, "We started hearing rumors of how profitable that was. My guys kept telling me about the business, and I didn't believe it. But we realized that this is not just a game. It's a social network with a lot of elements, and people rely on the game for a lot more than just entertainment. It wasn't the kind of thing that something else would come along and displace."

The Vivendi merger also comes up in conjunction with Activision's hit Universal Music Group [http://www.guitarherogame.com/gh3/] library, owned by Vivendi, which Kotick referred to as a "big benefit." "Guitar Hero takes an artist to a whole different place in the popular culture right now," he said. "Downloads on iTunes take off. The artist's relevance and importance to 17-year-olds change in a way that you could never get in any other medium."

"The age appeal is something we've never seen before," he continued. "Seven-year-olds who have no idea who Aerosmith is are playing the band's music on Guitar Hero. So are 45-year-olds who spent a good portion of their lives following the band around." He also promised the game would expand to include other instruments, saying, "It's not just about guitars," as well as the inclusion of local bands and content to help the game grow internationally.

Discussing Activision's growth into one of the industry's dominant behemoths, Kotick said, "It's really about being considerate of the culture in the game studios that Activision buys. That's the biggest difference between us and any of our competitors. We built a model that celebrates entrepreneurial, opportunistic, independent values. It's almost the opposite of Electronic Arts, which has commoditized development. It did a very good job of taking the soul out of a lot of the studios it acquired."

Portfolio.com's full interview with Activision CEO Bobby Kotick is available here [http://www.portfolio.com/executives/features/2008/04/10/Interview-With-Activision-CEO#page4].

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
If they're so concerned about the soul of a studio then why haven't Star Control 3 been greenlighted? : P

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
I guess mudslinging is never going to go out of fashion; even between two corporate powerhouses.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
You think EA could ever make the video game industry into a monopoly?

- A procrastinator

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Certainly not the point of the article, but..

"He also promised the game would expand to include other instruments, saying, "It's not just about guitars,""!?

Well then why the hell is it called GUITAR Hero!? Look, yes, everyone just LOVES Rock Band... doesn't mean Guitar Hero has to turn into it -_-

Not that I'm a fan of either game series, I just hate when a company changes the formula for a series that's doing well, just because of another series that's doing better.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
EA Soul Drain
Cost: $50,000,000

Take full control of targeted studio. Put 24 "month" tokens on it.
At the beginning of each turn, remove a "month" token from targeted studio.
If there are no more "month" tokens on targeted studio, bury said studio.

"It's almost the opposite of Electronic Arts, which has commoditized development.
It did a very good job of taking the soul out of a lot of the studios it acquired."

- Activision C.E.O. Bobby Kotick

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Wasn't Activision the company that made budget games like "Ghostbusters 2" for the early systems (C64, Master System etc) that everyone despised? I thought they'd gone bust long ago! Judging on the quality of most of their output back then, they probably should have.

And they're complaining about EA, makers of "Jungle Strike" and "Fifa International Soccer" (although to be fair, also makers of "Sword of Sodan")? Hmmmmmmm... something VERY wrong somewhere.