Activision CEO Thanks EA for Raising Awareness of COD

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
So is he pretending that there are people on this planet who don't know what Call of Duty is by now? I'm confused as to why anyone should care what he is saying...

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Show me any gamer that didn't know about cod after 4, even before EA's hunt for the throne, because I don't believe there was one.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Huh. Activision thinks CoD beat out Halo. That's funny, last time I checked, Reach had some pretty incredible sales and game time. By the time Black Ops rolled around, the natural cycle had taken hold and people were ready to move on. Kind of like how people moved on after the first couple of months of Black Ops.

Also, I find it cute that they think they'll "beat" Gears of War. They didn't beat Halo, they won't beat that. All they do is use effective release dates to pick up the gamers leaving the older releases. I'd love to see them do a simultaneous launch with either Halo or GoW.

Wow. That captcha sounds painful.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Hirshberg has the same manufactured grin and fake look of sincerity that Kotick demonstrates.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Call of Duty? Never heard of it. I like Hello Kitty: Island Adventure.

I'm as close as I want to get to the diehard Call of Duty fans. I'm not going to pay so they can get closer to me. Hell, from the way that's worded it sounds like you need to pay for matchmaking period.

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
So Activision is basically charging what Steam does for free, on top other fees for online play?

The sooner the current CoD craze dies the better. Cod could go back to the good days of trying to make a good game, the other companies could stop trying to emulate it and come up with something fairly original for once and the internet could stop being caught in giant flame wars.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
WickedFire said:
So Activision is basically charging what Steam does for free, on top other fees for online play?

The sooner the current CoD craze dies the better. Cod could go back to the good days of trying to make a good game, the other companies could stop trying to emulate it and come up with something fairly original for once and the internet could stop being caught in giant flame wars.
Where did you see that? I'm all for calling people out, but ATVI has said multiple times that most of the service, and multiplayer, will be free.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
He is of course completely right. EA does mention CoD more than they do. And it is free advertising. The bastard is quite right. I have no love for Activision or CoD, I loves me some Battlefield, but I really do hate EA. I mean, part of me wants to see both sides completely fail.

OT: This is of course a mislabeled article which is really a shameless plug for "Elite". Truth be told, I don't care to hear about this service from anyone if for no other reason than the details are so sketchy. I mean, I would never pay them for any online service involving CoD, but there is so much buzz going both ways. All the flaming, none of the details to back it up. All of the talk, none of the details to tell people what they mean when they say "pay service".

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
John Funk said:
The full interview with Activision's Eric Hirshberg is over at MCV UK, and it's a really interesting read for COD fans (or COD anti-fans - you know the type). I have to say, though, that Eric Hirshberg comes off exponentially more personable, likable and passionate about videogames than his boss Bobby Kotick. Why can't Activision just use him for all its interview needs instead?
Indeed, if they did, I probably wouldn't have vowed to not support them until they stopped ripping people off to such a ludicrous degree.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
So...Kotick's Apprentice getting his first test run?

Lenriak

Apr 15, 2009
Are Activision that out of touch with gaming that they ACTUALLY think there's gamers who haven't heard of COD? Lamest attempt of a Backhanded "Compliment" I've ever seen :)

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
It's gunna be funny if either company does a disappointing job.I don't dislike the CoD games,they do a good job at being bland and uninventive but still generally awesome experience.What I do dislike is how cocky they've been ever since the first MW.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Jabberwock King said:
I call bullshit on this. If you don't know what Call of Duty is, then congratulations! You don't exist.
^This. Cba even reading the article, the notion is simply too ridiculous.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
John Funk said:
"I think EA might talk about our games in the press more than we do," he joked
hahaha
Oh god it's so sad but true.
Seriously EA, shut up about how BF3 is going to destroy CoD. You are just setting the game up for failure (by your terms, at least). How about just focusing on why BF3 will be good, and not why it will beat COD.

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
John Funk said:
WickedFire said:

Where did you see that? I'm all for calling people out, but ATVI has said multiple times that most of the service, and multiplayer, will be free.
I meant fees for Live and stuff, should have been a bit clearer.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
Vrach said:
Jabberwock King said:
I call bullshit on this. If you don't know what Call of Duty is, then congratulations! You don't exist.
^This. CBA even reading the article, the notion is simply too ridiculous.
I had just gotten in and the thought popped into my head. It was so good at the time that I was rushing to ninja everyone else, and by the time I realized my mistake, my statement was finished. I then promptly put up an explanation that you may or may not have read.

Burn and sizzle.