Activision: COD Ghosts will break GTA 5 records

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
[youtube]_n5E7feJHw0[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

My entire reaction. There is no way that CoD can match GTA V.

sth1729

Jul 6, 2013
Only if Activision has perfected cloning and mind control will this happen, otherwise GTA V's first day of sales might possibly be more than the entire life-cycle of Ghosts.

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
See, I bought a copy of Grand Theft Auto 5. My roommate bought a copy of GTA5. Most of my co-workers bought a copy of GTA5.

None of us... not a single one of us... is buying a copy of CoD: Ghosts.

I'm not calling us a mirror of industry trend or anything... but I suspect Activision may be disappointed if these are their expectations.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hehehehe... Challenge accepted. (I know the challenge wasn't directed at me, shut up.)

If they wanna pull this off, the game better be just orgasmic in the gameplay department. I don't think they're going to get away with churning out yet another run-of-the-mill CoD sequel anymore.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Of course it will Activision...
Of course it will... *Pats head endearingly*

OT: No, of course it won't...
CoD can't compete with (a properly done) GTA...

Of course, (since I just saw it)

Charcharo said:
CoD makes comparable amounts of money to GTS V... every year.
Yes, well, if we got a new GTA every single year, the games would have more copy/paste areas than Just Cause 2...
You could say the same thing about TES...

If we had a new scrolls game every year the series would die because it'd run out of ideas...

You can't compare a (largely) single-player experience with CoD, since everyone knows it's all about the multi-player... Halo is more like something you can compare it to...

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
It's not going to happen and here is why.

GTA5 was a very anticipated title and because R* wants to double dip and screw over PC gamers (again) by forcing those that do own a console to just give in a buy the console version over the port then they shall as well as the other millions of people that have been waiting for this game for so long. That is why they made 1 billion $ from only preorders.

CoD on the other hand...Black Ops 2 needed around 1 week to reach that number and remember it was a multi platform game that came out on everything.

At this current time I find it rather impossible for CoD Ghosts to get 1 billion faster than GTA 5. It may be possible in the first week but with the hype behind it is barely catching up to a giant that is GTA and we haven't had one in 5+ years.

Juste Goose

Aug 1, 2013
Unless they lower the price to $10 and it comes packaged with free puppies, I really doubt it.

All but one of my gamer friends either bought or intend to buy GTA5, only one seems remotely interested COD:G.

But of course, if the industry went by what my friends liked, we'd have a Dead Rising 3 that wasn't a giant brown cliche.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Charcharo said:
not_you said:
If only STALKER made as much money as GTA 5... :(
Get on outta here STALKER!

(but seriously... if only!)

OT: I Seriously doubt it's going to beat it. Compared to previous Cod titles, there is little to no hype. I Have recently been in touch with some of my secondary school friends, we all used to play Mw2 and the hype behind Black Ops when that was announced was immense. None of them (Including myself)are not even considering ghosts and from what i have seen from around the net this sentiment is shared...

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Saucycarpdog said:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/17/gta-5-call-of-duty-wants-its-records-back

I think someone is jealous. Maybe if they spent the same time and effort Rockstar puts into GTA on call of duty, they might be able to do it.
They didn't say Ghosts would break it. They simply said they would break it BEFORE the next GTA game. Which could be in the next six years.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I bought GTA V and i dont plan on buying COD so thats one less sale already

Also: GTA V is probably one of the best singleplayer campaigns ive ever played with by far the most interactive open world of any game ever. CoD is by far the most scripted and shortest single player campaigns ive ever played with by far the most average yet over-rated multiplayer games

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I wouldn't doubt it.
If e^CoD was capable of dethroning Halo in its heyday without any real effort, it's entirely possible for it to beat GTA 5 during its own.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
KevinHe92 said:
Ahhhahahahahaha that's a funny one guys.

Sorry, but didn't COD peak in sales with Modern Warfare 2? I remember BLOPS2 kinda hitting the top, but sales dropped really quickly.

Iunno, I kinda don't see Ghosts doing much. Of course, I say this about every installment and then going ahead and BUYING each installment, so maybe it will break records.
Black Ops had consistently good sales, it was MW3 that started the decline of sales the year after release (2012 for MW3, 2013 for Black Ops II).

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Atmos Duality said:
I wouldn't doubt it.
If e^CoD was capable of dethroning Halo in its heyday without any real effort, it's entirely possible for it to beat GTA 5 during its own.
Call of Duty has been in decline since late 2011, it's heydey was when Halo receded just after Reach.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Evonisia said:
Call of Duty has been in decline since late 2011, it's heydey was when Halo receded just after Reach.
In 2011 it lost to Skyrim, the only game that could possibly have been more overhyped than CoD.
2012, I think people were finally starting to tire of its unchanging constant self-derivation (which is why I'm calling it e^CoD now; bad calculus joke).

So normally, I'd like to agree with you and say that it is running out of steam...
BUT.
CoD:G is THE killer app for is a new console generation with nothing else really competing with it for hype at this point going forward. GTA V blew its load earlier, and made a boatload of money; more, probably because it didn't have to split the limelight with CoD:G.

We'll see this Christmas, but I won't be surprised if it shatters media sales records again with its unchanging, overproduced, badly balanced one-taste-fits-all paste.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Atmos Duality said:
Evonisia said:
In 2011 it lost to Skyrim, the only game that could possibly have been more overhyped than CoD.
2012, I think people were finally starting to tire of its unchanging constant self-derivation (which is why I'm calling it e^CoD now; bad calculus joke).

So normally, I'd like to agree with you and say that it is running out of steam...
BUT.
CoD:G is THE killer app for is a new console generation with nothing else really competing with it for hype at this point going forward. GTA V blew its load earlier, and made a boatload of money; more, probably because it didn't have to split the limelight with CoD:G.

We'll see this Christmas, but I won't be surprised if it shatters media sales records again with its unchanging, overproduced, badly balanced one-taste-fits-all paste.
I think Ghosts will do very well, but it wouldn't surprise me if it failed to topple GTA V regardless of the hype. GTA V had half a decade of hype, two years of which was justifiable. Ghosts on the other hand doesn't seem to have this. Unless the rivalry between it and Battlefield heats up enough again (which it probably won't). Although I do agree that Ghosts's presence on the new consoles means a lot of $$$.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I strongly suspect that it will, because it will have more places to launch on. Both Xbox's, Both Playstation's, PC's and the Wii U. Five platforms, two of them next generation. It has a huge fan base already, so if you add on to that the fact that pretty much any gamer has the ability to play it, you are going to get a lot of sales.

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
Tom_green_day said:
I don't see it as being a cocky statement, more jovial and lightly competitive in a jokey way.
I don't think this game will sell nearly as well simply because the marketing is no-where near as expansive where I live. For GTA I saw bus adverts, TV adverts, shelter adverts, cinema adverts, internet adverts- it was one hell of a hype train. Ghosts I barely see anything unless I look for it. I wish Ghosts the best, Call of Duty is to me a great franchise, but I think they're taking their fame for granted a bit too much.
Activision and Rockstar are in the same league. Both AAA producing developers/publishers. Rockstar has a rep for psuhing the envelope and the boundaries of creativity. Activision is known for regurgitating franchises until they fizzle out, only to do the same with the next franchise.

This is like Carmelo Anthony saying he can beat Lebron James 1-on-1. Yeah, we know Melo's got talent...but Lebron is the best in the business. Some people will say that statement is jovial while others laugh it off as being completely delusion. Now replace Melo with CoD (both who have their fans, but are highly overrated) and Lebron with GTA (the standard bearer of their specific areas). Then you see the futility of Activision's statement, cocky or jovial. Not a single person is taking this seriously. No, not one.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
LysanderNemoinis said:
Yes, it will. It will most likely shatter GTA5's records, even if it takes a little bit longer. This is coming from someone who absolutely hates CoD and how it's dragging down the entire video game industry, and I don't like the GTA series either. But why do I think the newest slab of mediocrity will sell so well. Three simple words: People are morons.

More like: People have different tastes than yours.

Anyway... I honestly cant see it happening. COD is popular and all, and for a good reason... but I dont think it can just randombly beat GTA5 like that. At the very least one could say its going to be a close battle.