Activision Concerned About Kinect and Move

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
I really hope microsoft at least matches the price point of the move otherwise they are doomed. they are both in the ultimate bind. nobody is going to buy the damn things if there arnt good games and nobodys going to make the games if the controllers arnt being snatched up left and right.

Neuromaster

Mar 4, 2009
HontooNoNeko said:
Andy Chalk said:
Jesus Phish said:
I don't really think so. Tippl is just saying what everyone else is thinking: Why should we stick our necks out to support devices we have no vested interest in? Do you think Ubisoft or THQ or EA are going to make big pushes to support the controllers without first seeing what kind of user base they've got to work with? Never gonna happen.
I understand this mentality and it makes sense from a business perspective but the problem is if everyone did this no one would ever move forward. Whats the point of curing a disease if controlling it with drugs makes more money? Activision is only interested in taking every last penny we have not if we are enjoying it or not.
There are right and wrong ways of moving forward. Releasing incredibly expensive new peripherals halfway through the lifetime of a console is the wrong way of moving forward.

Microsoft and Sony should have cut the price by a factor of 10, or saved & perfected the tech for the next generation of consoles. I believe they've both admitted they're not investing heavily in powerful new hardware for the next gen, so this controller tech would have been the ideal excuse for an incremental upgrade. It's been a poor business decision on both their parts.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Jesus Phish said:
"Since this might be risky, we're just gonna lie back and see how it plays out. If it turns into a money maker we'll be right on that shit".

Terrible image.
I don't really think so. Tippl is just saying what everyone else is thinking: Why should we stick our necks out to support devices we have no vested interest in? Do you think Ubisoft or THQ or EA are going to make big pushes to support the controllers without first seeing what kind of user base they've got to work with? Never gonna happen.
Regardless of if they do or not, they're probably going to keep their mouths shut about it. Activision seeminly cant go a day without making a comment that damages their image more.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
tellmeimaninja said:
KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life said:
Now I want these things to succeed, just because I hate Activision.
Arg... I hate motion controls and Activision. This is too confusing!
Hope that one of the motion control gimmicks succeeds, and the other one fails. That would still prove Activision wrong, and you can still hate motion control all you want...

Strange that I agree with anything Activision has to say. Motion controls are stupid, the prices are too high, and there aren't too many games that can use it well. It has fail written all over it...

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Activision Concerned About Kinect and Move
Thats interesting, because I'm sure Microsoft and Sony are unconcerned with Activision's opinion on the matter.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
No matter how amazing Move and Kinect and (and neither have made a strong showing) they're always going to be peripherals because they weren't standard issue with the systems. No developer is going to deliberately shoot for a diminished audience more than once.

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
This is pretty amusing.
I mean considering that Activision is the devil(and are all about making money and charging people even for the air they breathe), and that even they consider Move & Kinect to be overpriced, this is really amusing, and shows what a bad move Microsoft and Sony are manking.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Activision warning about high prices? Wasn't it them that wanted to increase the price of the call of duty games even further? Wasn't it them who wanted to ad a subscription to call of duty? Who are they to talk about stuff being expensive?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
This coming from the company that wants to introduce a subscription fee for a game that in no way warrants a subscription fee.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Classic.

1. Sony/MSoft wants publishers/developers to make games that show off this new technology so that people will want to buy it.

2. Publishers/Developers don't want to spend the money to develop games centered around this technology until they're sure it's going to be widespread enough to be worth the investment.

3. Developers will create games that CAN use the new motion controls, but also work fine without them, in order to reach a broader market. This will be true of nearly all major games, as they'll really want to reach both halves of the audience.

4. The overwhelming majority of gamers will stick with normal controllers because they work just fine with all the newest and best games.

5. The motion-controlled gaming market will mostly consist of antiquated novelty items (party games, etc) or fitness-oriented software--the few things you just can't get done with normal controllers.

And, if you were to read the above again, but say 3 years ago, we'd be talking about exactly what has happened with the Wii. Way to "innovate," guys.

EDIT: Oh, I did forget one major difference--with the Wii, a couple hundred bucks got you the motion controls AND your console (which could be used with normal controllers from Day One). The other guys are asking people to spend over a hundred bucks IN ADDITION to the hundreds spent on the console itself...

And, since these casual-friendly games usually draw folks that aren't interested in shelling out a large percentage of their income for these games... Wii wins on price long before PS3/X360 win on graphics.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Wah, if people spend money on Sony and Microsoft's crappy add-ons they won't have money to spend on our crappy add-ons!

Alphalpha

Jan 11, 2010
Rect Pola said:
No matter how amazing Move and Kinect and (and neither have made a strong showing) they're always going to be peripherals because they weren't standard issue with the systems. No developer is going to deliberately shoot for a diminished audience more than once.
Wii Motion Plus?

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I said this in another news thread. I can understand. It's too expensive to own both. I'll be spending almost $300 to have both the Kinect and the Move.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Alphalpha said:
Rect Pola said:
Wii Motion Plus?
And how much has come out for it?
Why do you think Nintendo bundled it with Wii Sports Resort? Or waited a year for something resembling an audience to trickle together? Because most 3rd parties weren't/aren't doing a thing until Zelda is ready.