Activision Confirms Call of Duty's Move to Dead Space Devs

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
MR T3D said:
Tdc2182 said:
MR T3D said:
Jonny49 said:
Hold on. So MW2 is the last COD game to be developed by Infinity Ward? Ever? How can Activision do that? They made the fucking franchise to begin with!

Best of luck to Infinity Ward, whatever they do next.
you're familiar with original CoD and CoD2
and your sad to see IW leave it now?
really?
after how badly they fucked up here?
MW2 is a MW too many.
IW got far too cocky.
Yes!! Not many people gave a shit about CoDs 1 and 2. Why should I be happy that they have to leave it? How did they fuck up MW2? It is the best selling game of all time. This is bullshit. There seems to be a big sign over all big selling titles that says "Bash us because we made a good game"
first, sales=/=quality.
millions of people buy toyotas, and they're fun as shit to bash, because any car i ever like that they make is cancelled for lack of profitability (but that's another bag of worms, there son.)
secondly, i like popular games such as halo, starcraft, battlefield, counter-strike, cod series up to W@W.
third:
do you remember happy penguin #1 mp-foy?
that made CoD:UO for me.
always 40 players fighting in and around foy, epic.
how about 'tactical' S&D CoD2 servers?
also awesome fun.
custom maps?
some of those were quite well made, great communities at work there.
WHAT ABOUT GOOD CONNECTIONS [/b]AND MORE THAN A DOZEN PLAYERS!??!
those are grand.
those things ended when IW realized that catering to XBL was more profitable than to PC gaming, and to the old fans.
they. took. our. servers.
and mods.
and maps.
the STUPIDITY of the Russians, nonsensically armed with Mideast and Belgian weapons.
SAIGA-520K would've been a damn good gun to put in as the russsian shotgun. as would a modern AK (74 at oldest, newer variant preferred such as AEK or AN or AK-10X) instead of AK-47 (PLUS RAILZ!!)
and a proper AKS-74u as 'smg' (note the quotation marks)
treyarch was making decent console iterations of the franchise, cod3 was quite fun on 360, zombies is awesome.
it really saddens me as a gaming enthusiast and (former) fan of the franchise to see them betray their roots.
let's shock 'reviewers' by killing the Player Character several times (how original)
first game you do it in is epic.
do it again, and you're wearing it thin.

that's how they fucked up, if you really like PC gaming and the old CODs

Seriously, PC players lost their right to complain about games along time ago. Sure, it was first on the computer, but that was mainly due to technical limitations of consoles at that time. It wasn't till it was released on consoles till it got the series really going. Half the people bought cod W@W based of the success of CoD4.

And please, CoD3 was a joke. That game just saddened me. I bought it for ten bucks and that was a waste of money.

And while I do agree with you on the gun choice, I think that they choice weapons that were to obscure instead of more advanced, seeing how the ACR won't be in use for a few more years. And if your gonna go into the "reality" of the choices than you shouldn't be playing videogames in the first place.

And the end of of it is basically quoting yahtzee. I didn't have any problem with them killing the player 3 times. The series never really shined in story (even though I thought it was fine) seeing how excluding 4 are all based off world war 2.

You got the exact same game as console players. I applaud companies that do that, because when they don't it seems like their saying "Hey, let's reserve the rest of the game for these select players." Companies shouldnt work more on one console than the other

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
c0lefalk said:
Tdc2182 said:
MR T3D said:
Jonny49 said:
Hold on. So MW2 is the last COD game to be developed by Infinity Ward? Ever? How can Activision do that? They made the fucking franchise to begin with!

really?
MW2 is a MW too many.
IW got far too cocky.
Yes!! Not many people gave a shit about CoDs 1 and 2. Why should I be happy that they have to leave it? How did they fuck up MW2? It is the best selling game of all time. This is bullshit. There seems to be a big sign over all big selling titles that says "Bash us because we made a good game"
I guess I'm part of the minority of people who actually enjoyed CoD2. When CoD3 was announced, honestly I wasn't all that excited for it, as it wasn't developed by Infinity Ward. After playing it for awhile, I still thought it wasn't great, but it still exceeded my (admittedly, very low) expectations. I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because a developer gets kicked off a game doesn't mean the end of the world.

However...

Fuck Activision for kicking Infinity Ward off CoD. While I agree that MW2 is essentially a Michael Bay movie, only a little better, it is still THE BIGGEST SELLING GAME OF ALL GODDAMN TIME. Look what happens to entertainment entities when a beloved studio leaves - the entity suffers. That's what's going to happen to the CoD franchise, whether they like it or not.
Don't get me wrong, I liked cod2. I just thought three was crap. I am just saying the series didnt pick up till cod4 came around

Corkydog

Aug 16, 2009
Activision: A big, bloated bastard who gets drunk one night and burns his money to ashes. I can't wait to see what happens when it wakes up from the hangover. I'm just sad that Infinity Ward, who has always made fairly good games, will go down with it.

c0lefalk

Nov 2, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
c0lefalk said:
Tdc2182 said:
MR T3D said:
Jonny49 said:

really?
MW2 is a MW too many.
IW got far too cocky.
I guess I'm part of the minority of people who actually enjoyed CoD2. When CoD3 was announced, honestly I wasn't all that excited for it, as it wasn't developed by Infinity Ward. After playing it for awhile, I still thought it wasn't great, but it still exceeded my (admittedly, very low) expectations. I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because a developer gets kicked off a game doesn't mean the end of the world.

However...

Fuck Activision for kicking Infinity Ward off CoD. While I agree that MW2 is essentially a Michael Bay movie, only a little better, it is still THE BIGGEST SELLING GAME OF ALL GODDAMN TIME. Look what happens to entertainment entities when a beloved studio leaves - the entity suffers. That's what's going to happen to the CoD franchise, whether they like it or not.
Don't get me wrong, I liked cod2. I just thought three was crap. I am just saying the series didnt pick up till cod4 came around
Meh. 3 had its moments where I saw something that caught my attention, but still - it was crap. Agreed.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
When I saw this article, my first idea was "Call of Duty: Futuristic Warfare", in third-person, detailing a fight against Necromorphs. You get to utilize Plasma Cutters, wear cool ring-covered armor, and fly LC-130 laser gunships.

Dead Space is kick-ass, and CoD was great, until the last two (and #3), so who says that CoD: Dead Space will suck?

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
MR T3D said:
Tdc2182 said:
MR T3D said:
Jonny49 said:

really?
MW2 is a MW too many.
IW got far too cocky.
-space saving-

Seriously, PC players lost their right to complain about games along time ago. Sure, it was first on the computer, but that was mainly due to technical limitations of consoles at that time. It wasn't till it was released on consoles till it got the series really going. Half the people bought cod W@W based of the success of CoD4.

And please, CoD3 was a joke. That game just saddened me. I bought it for ten bucks and that was a waste of money.

And while I do agree with you on the gun choice, I think that they choice weapons that were to obscure instead of more advanced, seeing how the ACR won't be in use for a few more years. And if your gonna go into the "reality" of the choices than you shouldn't be playing videogames in the first place.

And the end of of it is basically quoting yahtzee. I didn't have any problem with them killing the player 3 times. The series never really shined in story (even though I thought it was fine) seeing how excluding 4 are all based off world war 2.

You got the exact same game as console players. I applaud companies that do that, because when they don't it seems like their saying "Hey, let's reserve the rest of the game for these select players." Companies shouldnt work more on one console than the other
PC gamers have no right to complain.
little support evidence other than *us* whining about being betrayed for the larger wallets of consolia?

remember CoD2: BRO?
the ps2/xbox treyarch snipoff, it was rather good.
i enjoyed its campaign.
CoD3 was fun because i had other people in same room playing with me, together against people online. AT THE SAME TIME.
still, yeah, 4 is what made the series go big, for decent reason. but it was tied to its roots, nice throwbacks like the MP44 (almost a straight lift from 2, great way to show advances in guns over time) and the only decent DLC map being a cateran remake.
still technical limitations on consoles:
specifically, mods&maps.

yeah, i'm playing a videogame, which is trying to depict modern warfare between russia and US. and liked to be sort of be realistic. russians with russian guns wouldn't turn it into ARMA.

I'm not big fan of yahtzee, TBH, his ideals and mine are usually not similar, and i trying to quote him, it appears to be coincidental that i said something similar. man ain't mah idol.
hell, i forgot he reviewed MW2.

'hey let's reserve the rest of the game for these select players'?
not reserving when they CAN'T implement them.
its like a party of mostly people whom don't do drugs, and then in the basement there are a few guys hitting up.
no biggie, they're old friends of the host, not disturbing anyone, plenty of room upstairs. hell, the host even brought down some munchies time to time.
but he kicked us up here, and this party sucks balls.

remember: don't do drugs, kids

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008

"Oh dear. What a terrible thing to happen, and we PC gamers liked their latest game SoOoOoO much"

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
AHAHHAHAHAHAHAAA!! OH GODS! MY SIDES ARE SPLITTING WITH VENGEFUL GLEE!

OT: I've always hated Infinity Wards. Dead Space was one of my favorites a couple years back and I may actually have a reason to enjoy a Call of Duty post terrorism Codfore Muwahtu.

I give this move an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
hmmm, mixed feelings. while, like all PC gamers, i'm pissed about IW.net, I can't deny that they can make some good games. Though I look forward to seeing what the Dead space guys do with the series, but this "action adventure" thing doesn't sound too comforting.

Though I honestly get the feeling I missed something. Why in Thor's name would Activision fire the guys who just made the BEST SELLING FORM OF MEDIA, EVER. If there was some sort of legal dispute, I'd much appreciate someone filling me in...

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
MR T3D said:
little support evidence other than *us* whining about being betrayed for the larger wallets of consolia?

i enjoyed its campaign.
CoD3 was fun because i had other people in same room playing with me, together against people online. AT THE SAME TIME.
still, yeah, 4 is what made the series go big, for decent reason. but it was tied to its roots, nice throwbacks like the MP44 (almost a straight lift from 2, great way to show advances in guns over time) and the only decent DLC map being a cateran remake.
specifically, mods&maps.

yeah, i'm playing a videogame, which is trying to depict modern warfare between russia and US. and liked to be sort of be realistic. russians with russian guns wouldn't turn it into ARMA.

I'm not big fan of yahtzee, TBH, his ideals and mine are usually not similar, and i trying to quote him, it appears to be coincidental that i said something similar. man ain't mah idol.

its like a party of mostly people whom don't do drugs, and then in the basement there are a few guys hitting up.
no biggie, they're old friends of the host, not disturbing anyone, plenty of room upstairs. hell, the host even brought down some munchies time to time.

Yeah, I own it. In all reality, I thought it was terrible.

And that really was the one good thing about cod3. But necessary changes had to be made to support cod4 online, and I think you would agree that it was a good decision.

And I also think(my opinion, may not be true) they were just using Russia as a generalization. The russian army does not wear any of the camo they depicted in the game. It was more a portrayal of evil soviet russia takes over the world, which they hinted in the last game.

And yeah, it was a low blow for me to say you quoted yahtzee.

As for the party thing (great example) the host cant pick favorites, he has to treat everyone equal or the guests will get pissed and feel jipped.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
MR T3D said:

i enjoyed its campaign.
specifically, mods&maps.

Yeah, I own it. In all reality, I thought it was terrible.

And that really was the one good thing about cod3. But necessary changes had to be made to support cod4 online, and I think you would agree that it was a good decision.

And I also think(my opinion, may not be true) they were just using Russia as a generalization. The russian army does not wear any of the camo they depicted in the game. It was more a portrayal of evil soviet russia takes over the world, which they hinted in the last game.

And yeah, it was a low blow for me to say you quoted yahtzee.

As for the party thing (great example) the host cant pick favorites, he has to treat everyone equal or the guests will get pissed and feel jipped.
-meh, that's just our different opinions.

-honestly, i'd trade all my cod4 unlocks to have splitonline back. its that important for me in a console game. its why i have the console in the first place: to play with IRL friends. but perfect system would allow spitscreen users to each create 5 classes using main's unlocks, if prestiged they get 55 kit in a 'social' browser system, with the system in 4 for ranked.

-yeah, russia is just there to serve as an opfor that has a large army, i think its dumb.
in hindsight, putting a US insurrection on home soil would have been best, could do very interesting things there...

-with this post i can forgive you.

-And thank you. still, thing is, i don't see it as picking favourites, as I analogized, people are free to be either upstairs OR downstairs, the host is simply making both options available. though the downstairs one does have price of it being drugs (more money to have good gaming rig) but also get a different, fun experience.
everyone gets what they like and expect from the party.

Unit Alpha

Jan 3, 2009
Activision just screwed themselves so f***ing hard. Infinity Ward is the only developer that can put out the CoD experience.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
So, let me get this straight: Activision wants to remove the Call of Duty rights from the company that single-handedly decimated the Christmas '09 gaming season AND shattered all pre-existing sales records, and move it to a different company? Where's the sense in that?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...
Oh no. Thy shot themselves in both feet years ago.

In fact, Activision have run out of body parts to shoot themselves in and are now a mess of pink mush on the floor.

Bra-fucking-o, you monumentally greedy idiots.

To keep bonuses instead of paying them, you just GOT RID OF THE FUCKING COMPANY THAT MADE YOU MONEY IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Really, I'm still in school and I grasp that's bad business, how can anyone in the actual industry be so fantastically pigheaded as to want to keep money now rather than sell another 12 million next time around?