Activision Confirms New Call of Duty for 2013

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Activision Confirms New Call of Duty for 2013

In a move that surprises exactly no-one, Activision announces the tenth game in the FPS franchise that just won't die.

Activision's financial report [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121995-Activision-Reports-Record-Setting-Results-For-2012] revealed a lot of surprising data about the record-breaking sales the company saw in 2012. Very unsurprising, though, was the announcement that 2013 would see another instalment in Activision's long, long running Call of Duty franchise. Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg confirmed that the game will see release in the forth quarter of this year, and while he expects the game to do well, he expressed doubts that it will be able to match Black Ops II's record-breaking sales.

"The Call of Duty franchise continues to set the bar for innovation and we expect the new Call of Duty game in development for 2013 to raise that bar even higher" - Eric Hirshberg

No concrete details have emerged about the game as of yet, but considering Activision announced earlier that it was working on a next-gen Call of Duty title, and current rumours speculate the release of new consoles by the end of this year, it is possible the next Call of Duty will be available on next-gen consoles. It is presumed that Infinity Ward will develop this title, as developers Treyarch only just pushed out Black Ops II a few months ago.

"There is increased volatility this year due to the ongoing console transition, which makes predicting the future more challenging than during normal years in the cycle. For Call of Duty, consistent with our past practices, we are planning for the mainline release in Q4 to be down versus 2012," Activision CFO Dennis Durkin added.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II is the latest game in the Call of Duty franchise, releasing in November of last year. Four DLC packs are planned for the game over the coming year, with the first one, Revolution, having already been released last month. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121777-Activision-Deploys-First-Black-Ops-II-DLC]

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Eric Hirshberg said:
"The Call of Duty franchise continues to set the bar for innovation and we expect the new Call of Duty game in development for 2013 to raise that bar even higher," - Eric Hirshberg

Can this even be considered news? As was already said, this is not surprising to anybody.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
CoD and innovation... does not compute, unless its a opposite comparison like light and dark.

Now CoD and Generic, I can see that.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Wow, I am shocked at this unorthodox behavior, now if you'll excuse me, I need to pick up my pants.

While I don't own any entries in the franchise and only have a basic experience with a couple of the games, I really, really liked the Pick 10 system, and hope that Infinity Ward (?) expands on it.

Dec 14, 2009
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, Activision churns out another annual Call of Duty game, claming to innovate the genre, that sells in the millions, despite adding nothing innovative.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
oh look, another call of duty that I won't be buying. But 20 million people will. Because the moment a single person switches over to the next game, the one before becomes a barren ghost town. There went your 120 dollar investment on Black Ops 2 with initial perchase and season pass DLC, now you can do it all over again!

Also apparently if they fail to reach even a billion dollars its concidered a "failure". What a whiney bunch of bastards. Some games are lucky to break 200 mil. If even that.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow. so amazing. i feel so surprised now. *sarcasm*

and since when is COD innovative???

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Okay, I enjoy the popcorn action of the yearly CoD game but saying that you lead the way in innovation is just straight up bullshit, Mr Hirschberg.

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
You never know, maybe they'll move on from modern warfare and start a new franchise. Call of Duty: Victorian Warfare, anyone? I mean, it's not as if it would be too radical a shift for the target audience, seeing as it still revolves around white guys shooting people who aren't white in the face. Just that you'd get to wear pretty red jackets instead of boring cammo

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
If it's Modern Warfare 4, then count me out. MW3 was the biggest disappointment I've bought since Final Fantasy 13.

Benedict

Feb 21, 2012
Set the BAR for innovation? Are you- I- the- the point of innovation is to not HAVE a bar, what makes you think you can-

OH. Ohhhhhhhh. I get it.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Does this really need an announcement? I would say they could just start putting the year on them like CoD 2013 but they punch out more than 1 a year.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
We're stilling doing these? Hasn't everybody played Spec Ops: The Line by now?

Kidding. Seriously though? I still haven't bought any of these. Not because I'm an elitist bastard, but because I'm a cheap bastard and even on Steam deals the older titles don't drop below $15 or so. I can get two or three other 2+ year old AAA games for that price, and as many as five or six indie games.

Also, I'm an elitist bastard, but that's not the MAIN reason.

Gameslayer_93

Jul 17, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
If it's Modern Warfare 4, then count me out. MW3 was the biggest disappointment I've bought since Final Fantasy 13.
see your problem there was expecting a decent game :p

Steven Bogos said:
Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg confirmed that the game will see release in the forth quarter of this year, and while he expects the game to do well, he expressed doubts that it will be able to match Black Ops II's record-breaking sales.
you misspelt "fourth"

OT: same old same old, generic shooting mechanics with a bunch of prepubescent twats and early teenage pricks yelling at me

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
dragongit said:
oh look, another call of duty that I won't be buying. But 20 million people will. Because the moment a single person switches over to the next game, the one before becomes a barren ghost town. There went your 120 dollar investment on Black Ops 2 with initial perchase and season pass DLC, now you can do it all over again!

Also apparently if they fail to reach even a billion dollars its concidered a "failure". What a whiney bunch of bastards. Some games are lucky to break 200 mil. If even that.
Not quite...

The next COD is being developed by IW. Even after MW3's release, there were still tons of people playing Blops 1 (mostly because MW3 was total shit). Plus, typically, when a new COD game comes out, it takes a few weeks to a few months for people to start complaining about it in comparison to the previous game, before going back to the previous game. Its a complicated system, but you pay attention to it long enough, you start to see the pattern.

FelixG said:
I had to laugh my ass off at the innovation part, I wonder if he added that in as a bit of tongue in cheek humor.

Though I do hope they keep it set in the near future, that was a good move for Blops II
I would assume, when he said innovation, he didnt mean it in a meta example (COD being innovative to gaming on a whole, it hasnt been that since COD4). I assume he means the COD is being innovative in it self. Because really, there was a nice bit of innovation for a COD series with Blops 2 (choices that affect the games story, multiple endings, I thought the "Pick 10" system was quite innovative, when compared to previous games in the series.) There is not much COD can add to gaming in general, but there is quite a bit that gaming can give to the COD series.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Nihil Novi Sub Sole

Another Year, Another Call of Duty game.

Now, the question remains: Will it be Modern Warfare 4? Or will they try something a little more original?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
NO FUCKING WAY! THIS IS AN AMAZING SURPRISE!
Why even bother "Announcing" them any more?