Activision Defends Call of Duty Elite

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/checkpoint/105/

Leaving this here.
Thank you very much :)

OT: Only activision has the balls to do something like this, so hats off for that. Still sucks mind.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Jabberwock xeno said:
Pfff....

It's everything Bungie has own their site, but it costs money?

No thanks.
actually, everything Bungie has and a little more for FREE, and some more features that they will charge for

read again people, i dont see why everyone is hating this service? they haven't even announced what is it that they are going to charge for!, they had just announced what they are "NOT" going to charge for dudes...

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
C95J said:
Ahhh the joy of reading these comments, and looking at how so many people overreact about something which they don't even have to pay for...

I guess people just like to complain.
thank you! haha, so amazing to see someone who actually READ the damn news, everyone is "BLABLA DAMN BLA STUPID BLA BLA STEAL BLA"

Activision is just stating that their service will be FREE, they are announcing what the >-"FREE"-< part of that service will be, and have left it clear that the premium service will Add to that

ITS THE SAME FU#$ING THING THAT BUNGIE DID, an on line record system, heat map, etc etc etc, no one made such a FUZZ over bungie did they? it was the coolest thing they implemented in Halo 3, and now people are whining??

how can they be so blinded that they cant see the word >>>>____----!!!!FREE!!!!----____<<<<

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Lacsapix said:
I remember this Yahtzee quote...
"Never Stick your D*ck in a pudding, It may still be good pudding and you might spend the whole afternoon explaining it to everyone. But nobody is going to eat it because you STUCK YOUR D*CK IN IT!
Everything on Cod Elite has been done before a million times by other companies and serveces.
..... and it is relevant to sticking your dick in the pudding because??? i don´t see how adding a feature that people have already used before by the competition is "sticking your dick in the pudding" they aren't even touching the game, its a feature that people who wont care is going to forget in a week, and people who do care will appreciate and use every day for the rest of... the time they play (or until the new COD game comes over XD)

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Tin Man said:
Why are people pissing their pants to such an extent over AN ENTIRELY OPTIONAL SET OF EXTRAS?
Because it is a rip-off, with Activision's history of ripping people off. Also, it's not "optional" as you say, when it represents a 'trend'.

I could probably necro threads from 5-8 years ago where people were saying "DLC is optional, stop pissing your pants complaining about it". Then after the Horse Armor came entire sections of games ripped out at release and priced at $10-15 just so you could see it. Then came Activision's "map packs", where it's nearly required if someone plays COD, as they can't play on servers that rotate the new maps.

I don't see the comparison to the Publisher's Club, though it could also represent a trend. However, it's not a new trend in websites at all. Completely free service, throwing a ton of content at you, allowing you to talk to anyone whenever you want, and if you happen to like it so much, you can pay (whatever it is) $20 (?) for an entire YEAR. Not the same, sorry.

It has nothing to do with people looking for something to complain about. What they're actually doing, is displaying their rather acute perception, seeing 20 steps ahead, where the gaming industry could be taken from all of this.

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
HentMas said:
C95J said:
Ahhh the joy of reading these comments, and looking at how so many people overreact about something which they don't even have to pay for...

thank you! haha, so amazing to see someone who actually READ the damn news, everyone is "BLABLA DAMN BLA STUPID BLA BLA STEAL BLA"

Activision is just stating that their service will be FREE, they are announcing what the >-"FREE"-< part of that service will be, and have left it clear that the premium service will Add to that

ITS THE SAME FU#$ING THING THAT BUNGIE DID, an on line record system, heat map, etc etc etc, no one made such a FUZZ over bungie did they? it was the coolest thing they implemented in Halo 3, and now people are whining??

how can they be so blinded that they cant see the word >>>>____----!!!!FREE!!!!----____<<<<
maybe the part where other games are comlemented for free with all that Elite has to offer, most of the free stuff is already on steam: firends, groups and anouncements, etc.

As for premium,heat maps and stats where tracked by hlstatsx for example, it was a job that the community had and did very well, the owners decided if they wanted these qualities on their servers so the clients could enjoy and even donate.

By creating Elite Activision is monopolising everything that was "ours" and making what was a good service from a community a luxury for the player.

Thats why i dislike it

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
HentMas said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
Pfff....

It's everything Bungie has own their site, but it costs money?

No thanks.
actually, everything Bungie has and a little more for FREE, and some more features that they will charge for

read again people, i dont see why everyone is hating this service? they haven't even announced what is it that they are going to charge for!, they had just announced what they are "NOT" going to charge for dudes...
Yea the whole first page of responses gave me damn headache, it is really a shame how bad gamers (at least on this forum) have gotten. I mean they can't be arsed to even read the article and check the damn links. And then we go to the absolutely insane people, a guy saying he won't touch CoD till they have 200-500 maps on launch....wtf is there even any game like this anywhere?
Holy hell.

What I expect to be in the paid service.
1) Already confirmed, you don't have to buy the map packs, all DLC is readily available.
2) Already confirmed, a special CoD series (webisodes?)
3) Surrogate dedicated servers, there are some companies who already do this for the 360 and PS3, they have a bot invite players to a game where it acts as host and gives almost everyone equal foot with little latency issues.
4) Tournaments for prizes, a lot of game tournaments are run by various services, who actually charge for entering tournaments, they will probably set up various tournaments where your entry fee is covered by your suscription.
5) Upload long videos to youtube (seems free is only 30seconds), which isn't necessarily for everyone, but it is still a useful service for people who want to be youtube game commentators. Capturing anything above 360-480p is actually somewhat difficult for PC/360/PS3. There are video capture cards, fraps for the PC and various other means, but these actually take a great deal of editing work on PCs and in some cases take boatload of memory for rendering.

But yea, all that said, I'm really disappointed at the rabid wolf mentality that a lot of posters have accepted against the CoD series, it is a sad day when people just ignore information that is available and just spout garbage that is contrary to said information.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Bruno Correia said:
HentMas said:
C95J said:

maybe the part where other games are comlemented for free with all that Elite has to offer, most of the free stuff is already on steam: firends, groups and anouncements, etc.

As for premium,heat maps and stats where tracked by hlstatsx for example, it was a job that the community had and did very well, the owners decided if they wanted these qualities on their servers so the clients could enjoy and even donate.

By creating Elite Activision is monopolising everything that was "ours" and making what was a good service from a community a luxury for the player.

Thats why i dislike it
GOD DAMMIT YOU DID IT IN PURPOSE DIDN'T YOU!?

the announced service is !!!!!!!!!!FREE!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAHHH I´m gonna shoot my self!!!

taking away a service the community and giving it more easy to access and FOR FREE!!!!!! isn't bad, its a good thing, that way you can focus in... i dunno, playing the game!?

elite is the name of the service, the service includes 2 kinds of things, free things and paid things, like psn and psn+
let me show you something taken from the FAQ

A selection of Elite?s ---->>**free**<---- features will let you:
&#61623; Access Elite through the web as well as Elite?s free custom iOS and Android applications
for smartphones and tablets
&#61623; Communicate any way you want across mobile, console and the web with your friends
&#61623; Track and share thousands of stats with friends ? k/d ratios, score-per-minute, win % and
loads more, all represented in easy to understand charts and infographics
&#61623; Create your own custom leaderboards to track friendly rivalries ? who is moving up and
down in your group of friends?
&#61623; Analyze advanced heat maps detailing your match-by-match performance ? where you
killed or got killed, when it happened, and more
&#61623; Analyze your weapons performance ? which weapons you are best with in which
situations
&#61623; Upload and share videos of your greatest moments through our exclusive theater mode
with the touch of a button
&#61623; After you analyze your performance to your heart?s content - Customize your loadout ?
search through all the weapons, attachments and perks, and push them directly into the
game menu from the web or your mobile device with the touch of a button
&#61623; Join dozens of groups and find other players with common interests to play with and
compete against ? find people who make the game the most fun for you ? TDM, Lakers?
fans, Weekend Warriors
&#61623; Create a Clan with players who share your interests and taste for competition
&#61623; Bring your Facebook friends right into the game, easily taking your existing network into
the Call of Duty experience.
&#61623; Seamlessly be placed into Groups with those who share your affinities and interests based
on your Facebook profile.
&#61623; Start tracking your Call of Duty career ? everything you wanted to know about your
performance across the franchise starting with Black Ops
happy now??

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
HentMas said:
Bruno Correia said:
HentMas said:
C95J said:

Thats why i dislike it

the announced service is !!!!!!!!!!FREE!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAHHH I´m gonna shoot my self!!!

taking away a service the community and giving it more easy to access and FOR FREE!!!!!! isn't bad, its a good thing, that way you can focus in... i dunno, playing the game!?

elite is the name of the service, the service includes 2 kinds of things, free things and paid things, like psn and psn+

&#61623; Access Elite through the web as well as Elite?s free custom iOS and Android applications
&#61623; Communicate any way you want across mobile, console and the web with your friends
&#61623; Track and share thousands of stats with friends ? k/d ratios, score-per-minute, win % and
&#61623; Create your own custom leaderboards to track friendly rivalries ? who is moving up and
&#61623; Analyze advanced heat maps detailing your match-by-match performance ? where you
&#61623; Analyze your weapons performance ? which weapons you are best with in which
situations
&#61623; Upload and share videos of your greatest moments through our exclusive theater mode
happy now??
I think I see what the issue here is.

You're reading it like this: "The content listed will be free to everybody!"

They are reading it like this: "The content listed will be free to people who are already paying for elite."

You're working under the assumption that everything listed is free for all, while they are assuming that this is the content that comes with the service and that features to come will require additional charge.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Duskflamer said:

They are reading it like this: "The content listed will be free to people who are already paying for elite."

You're working under the assumption that everything listed is free for all, while they are assuming that this is the content that comes with the service and that features to come will require additional charge.[/quote]

but its not how i´m reading it, its how ITS WRITTEN, just above of it says "EVEN HATERS WILL PLAY FOR FREE" its what has being stated over an over like 5 times in that FAQ, i didn't made it up!

"THE BEST FREE SERVICE ON THE MARKET ? How can we say that this is the best? We
believe that the ------>>>free elementsany free service<<<---
currently on the market"

"Even haters can play --->>>for
free.<<<---"
thats what i call "selective blindness"

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
Duskflamer said:
HentMas said:
Bruno Correia said:
HentMas said:
C95J said:

Thats why i dislike it

situations
happy now??
nope, all of that we already got for free so they arent giving me anything and my main reason to hate this still remains, It's a freaking MONOPOLY

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
PettingZOOPONY said:
People keep saying they hate this idea of paying for part of a game you already own, I have to ask how many are 360 players? You pay extra to access MP anyways so why does this offend you.
"yeah, you already pay a xbox live subscription, surely paying even more for a single game is no big deal! Those silly xbox players and their apparently infinite cash reserves, always complaining about nothing!"

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
HentMas said:
Bruno Correia said:
HentMas said:
C95J said:

Thats why i dislike it

situations
&#61623; After you analyze your performance to your heart?s content - Customize your loadout ?
search through all the weapons, attachments and perks, and push them directly into the
game menu from the web or your mobile device with the touch of a button
&#61623; Join dozens of groups and find other players with common interests to play with and
compete against ? find people who make the game the most fun for you ? TDM, Lakers?
fans, Weekend Warriors
&#61623; Create a Clan with players who share your interests and taste for competition
&#61623; Bring your Facebook friends right into the game, easily taking your existing network into
the Call of Duty experience.
&#61623; Seamlessly be placed into Groups with those who share your affinities and interests based
on your Facebook profile.
&#61623; Start tracking your Call of Duty career ? everything you wanted to know about your
performance across the franchise starting with Black Ops
happy now??

So... if all of that is free for everybody, why are they calling it part of the Elite pack? Surely it should just be included with standard multiplayer.

After all, I don't like the idea of forking out money for "Elite" features, only to find out that half of them are free anyway.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
TheRealCJ said:
So... if all of that is free for everybody, why are they calling it part of the Elite pack? Surely it should just be included with standard multiplayer.

After all, I don't like the idea of forking out money for "Elite" features, only to find out that half of them are free anyway.
ok, let me explain it nice and slow, and please READ everything that is written people

you have an XBOX? yeah, i´m sure you do, and with it comes an XBL account, a silver account, that lets you chat with your friends, now, if you want to play online, you need an XBL GOLD account dont you? hehe, its completelly optional of course

you have a PS? then you are familiar with PSN, and how there is a service called PSN+ that you pay for, but is completelly optional?

remember bungie? you can play Halo 3 as much as you want, but if you want your stats taken into account you HAVE to get into "BUNGIE.NET" and create an account, now if you want more space to make videos, maps and all that cool stuff you upload, let us call it "BUNGIE.NET +" you know what? lets call it "BUNGIE.NET GOLD" because its in the XBOX it will cost you 5 bucks a year, but you dont have to pay it if you dont care about space

REMEMBER ELITE!? yeah, its the same as bungie.net, except you CAN pay for more features that we will call "ELITE +", ok, "ELITE GOLD" hell "ELITE THE CHARGED CONTENT,UNLIKE THE OTHER ONE WE DO CHARGE YOU IN HERE, NOT THE OTHER ONE THOUGHT"

now you understand!?!?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
HentMas said:
Duskflamer said:

You're working under the assumption that everything listed is free for all, while they are assuming that this is the content that comes with the service and that features to come will require additional charge.

but its not how i´m reading it, its how ITS WRITTEN, just above of it says "EVEN HATERS WILL PLAY FOR FREE" its what has being stated over an over like 5 times in that FAQ, i didn't made it up!

"THE BEST FREE SERVICE ON THE MARKET ? How can we say that this is the best? We
believe that the ------>>>free elementsany free service<<<---
currently on the market"

"Even haters can play --->>>for
free.<<<---"
thats what i call "selective blindness"
I think the problem lies with the name itself, it being called Elite, gamers are thinking this is the name of the paid service and not the service overall. They aren't making the distinction that there is a free version of the Elite program, and a paid version of the Elite program which unlocks more features.