Activision Defends Call of Duty Elite

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
TheRealCJ said:
PettingZOOPONY said:
People keep saying they hate this idea of paying for part of a game you already own, I have to ask how many are 360 players? You pay extra to access MP anyways so why does this offend you.
"yeah, you already pay a xbox live subscription, surely paying even more for a single game is no big deal! Those silly xbox players and their apparently infinite cash reserves, always complaining about nothing!"
I smell the sarcasm through the screen

OT: Whoever at activision thought this was a good idea should be killed for the stupidity that is "COD:Elite"

this is almost as stupid as a yearly price increase on something you made 8 or more years ago

S3Cs4uN 8 said:
standokan said:
Bobby bloody Kottick has done it again.
I rate bobby "bloody" Kotick up ther next to Matthew "MotherF***ing" Ward the bane of warhammer 40k
oh...

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
HentMas said:
TheRealCJ said:
My biggest problem is: why have tiers at all? Okay, if paid "Elite" results in private-use servers, or free game updates for the life of the subscriptions, then yes, I could at least understand. Constant maintenance requires money, fair enough. That's why Microsoft charges for Xbox Live. But I game with a PC. I ALREADY have private servers I can run or join, I dont record my games to put on youtube, and persistent scores can go hang
OH! but we dont even know what is going to come when the paid aspects of the program are actually released, they can range from access to exclusive only tournaments for real life prizes, to having your avatar be the spitting immage of Samuel .L Jackson all the way to the voice

i mean you are acting like you have a chip on your shoulder for something that hasn´t even being announced, the only logical explanation is that you "hate/dislike/" something about the guy that is putting it out there.

lol... when i read the first page of comments when this post was first put up, ahh the frustration at the comments.. and now i come back, and see you posting pretty much what im thinking lol. they haven't even officially announced ANY of the paid subscription, only announced extra features that people may want to use, or completely ignore, that effects the game in no way at all if you dont want it. I mean some of these comments read as, they want to give us free add-ons for our game? how dare they!

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
HentMas said:
TheRealCJ said:
My biggest problem is: why have tiers at all? Okay, if paid "Elite" results in private-use servers, or free game updates for the life of the subscriptions, then yes, I could at least understand. Constant maintenance requires money, fair enough. That's why Microsoft charges for Xbox Live. But I game with a PC. I ALREADY have private servers I can run or join, I dont record my games to put on youtube, and persistent scores can go hang
OH! but we dont even know what is going to come when the paid aspects of the program are actually released, they can range from access to exclusive only tournaments for real life prizes, to having your avatar be the spitting immage of Samuel .L Jackson all the way to the voice

i mean you are acting like you have a chip on your shoulder for something that hasn´t even being announced, the only logical explanation is that you "hate/dislike/" something about the guy that is putting it out there.
You seem pretty confident in what you're saying about all this given that the full scope is yet to be seen, really, his opinion is as good as yours at the moment.

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
also true, seems people are taking assumptions to the extremes though.i hate assuming things, so when people do, it gets on my nerves a bit, and this is no different. they havnt announced anything about the paid side of it, just what is free if you want to use it. so thats just what we are focusing on. but then people post saying that they arnt gonna pay for it, you ruined CoD forever, i should get what i paid for when i bought the game etc.etc. its like they read CoD in the title, and just comment without reading. When you buy the game, you are still getting what you got with previous games, nothing is changing.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Well, as someone earlier mentioned, I think part of the confusion is over the "Elite" name. People are assuming that Elite is a payed service (and really, can you blame them given the name?) and that what's listed so far is what comes free with the elite service, with to be announced items running an extra cost.

And really, the info we've been given so far is a bit conflicting on this matter. Yea, they're saying it's "The best free service out there," but it also says "Call of Duty Elite must be purely additive to the experience. The Call of Duty ?out of the box? experience that our players expect: a great single player campaign, co-op missions, and the deepest and most accessible multiplayer anywhere -- at
no additional cost -- remains the same as ever. Our promise to you is this: Elite only adds to the
Call of Duty experience."

Honestly, that makes it seem to me that Elite is an extra payed service, regardless of what they said after that. After all, there needs to be a base to be an "additive experience" to.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Duskflamer said:
HentMas said:
TheRealCJ said:

You seem pretty confident in what you're saying about all this given that the full scope is yet to be seen, really, his opinion is as good as yours at the moment.
in what i´m confident is in what i read and can verify, i haven't said anything for or against activision, i just find people saying stuff like "omg they are stealing money!" without even reading the news a little annoying, which is what started this whole conversation, then switching (after being provided with proof that its not the case) to "but i already have all those things because i play in a PC, and its all a scam to steal money later"

thats when the supposition began in there you are right its his opinion, and a good one, but there was a really broad train of thought that took us to this conclusion.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Duskflamer said:
Well, as someone earlier mentioned, I think part of the confusion is over the "Elite" name. People are assuming that Elite is a payed service (and really, can you blame them given the name?) and that what's listed so far is what comes free with the elite service, with to be announced items running an extra cost.

And really, the info we've been given so far is a bit conflicting on this matter. Yea, they're saying it's "The best free service out there," but it also says "Call of Duty Elite must be purely additive to the experience. The Call of Duty ?out of the box? experience that our players expect: a great single player campaign, co-op missions, and the deepest and most accessible multiplayer anywhere -- at
no additional cost -- remains the same as ever. Our promise to you is this: Elite only adds to the

Honestly, that makes it seem to me that Elite is an extra payed service, regardless of what they said after that. After all, there needs to be a base to be an "additive experience" to.
let me clear that up for you
Elite will be available in two tiers of service, one for paying and one for non-paying Call of Duty multiplayer fanatics. While all of the perks of membership are yet to be announced, that paying group may never have to pay for a Call of Duty map pack separately again.

At a glance, Elite resembles Bungie.net, the richly-detailed stat tracking service for that other mighty first-person-shooter series, Halo. But the top people behind the Elite project, including the heads of Beachhead Studios, an outfit dedicated exclusively to building and supporting Elite, promise that their service will prove to be the best of its kind, transcending expectations of websites for multiplayer video games.

The Elite service is, at its most basic, a very fancy website. It will primarily be accessed through users' web browsers, though Activision is planning to offer some sort of Elite app for iOS and Android devices.
via http://www.pressthebuttons.com/2011/05/activision-planning-monthly-fee-for-call-of-duty-service.html

i just noticed they took it from here http://kotaku.com/5806775/how-call-of-duty-elite-works-and-why-you-might-be-paying-for-it

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
when i think of the name elite, i dont think needing to pay for it. i think, more, better, extra. then i see the word free all over the article just makes it more confusing when people are saying they wont pay for those things. which they wont. i wouldnt either. and im not. cause its free.

Duskflamer said:

yes. the base game, which you pay for. its an additive to the "multiplayer experience". i dont see the conflicting part. the first thing you said was, its a free service. then hyped it up, then at the end adds "no additional cost" on top of the out of the box experience of buying the game.

i honestly am not confused by that at all, but thats just me.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
antman9000 said:
when i think of the name elite, i dont think needing to pay for it. i think, more, better, extra. then i see the word free all over the article just makes it more confusing when people are saying they wont pay for those things. which they wont. i wouldnt either. and im not. cause its free.

Duskflamer said:

yes. the base game, which you pay for. its an additive to the "multiplayer experience". i dont see the conflicting part. the first thing you said was, its a free service. then hyped it up, then at the end adds "no additional cost" on top of the out of the box experience of buying the game.

Personally, I think it's because the "out of the box" content includes "The deepest and most accessible multiplayer anywhere" with the Elite content being additive to that. But, nobody can definitively say one way or the other until the service actually comes out.

The point remains that they probably should have picked a name other than "Elite."

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Duskflamer said:
antman9000 said:

Duskflamer said:

Personally, I think it's because the "out of the box" content includes "The deepest and most accessible multiplayer anywhere" with the Elite content being additive to that. But, nobody can definitively say one way or the other until the service actually comes out.

The point remains that they probably should have picked a name other than "Elite."
I agree, but you have to recognize that most people keep rambling on and on because of the bad rep Kotic (thats how you spell his name?) has given Activision, they expect the worst out of Activision, and in part i blame news outlets for giving a singular buzz to what he says and just posting halve the story, but when something comes out that clarifies those points they just brush over the whole thing as if nothing happened, 5 news outlets are saying "you have to pay for the Elite service" and one says "the Elite service will be divided in 2 tiers" how´s that to unbiased journalism?

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Frankly, as long as the game comes with a large amount of maps, they can do their subscription bullshit. But if there are few maps, this money grabbing scheme will be exposed. And probably wildly successful.

Hachura

Nov 28, 2007
Oh fuck off Bobby Kotick, you greedy ****. You already stooge tens of millions of sheep every year for their $60USD, the least you could do is make this bloody thing free, like Halo did with Waypoint. I get that business is about monetising things, but there is such a thing as too goddamned far.

Dr.Cereal1

Mar 30, 2011
I think call of duty will finally tank. The repetition of the series will be realized with mw3 and it actually looks quite boring from what e3 shows. Topped off with cod elite, it looks like this will be interesting.

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
i see now how people would confuse elite, thinking its an upgrade to the normal game, and not the name of a standalone free product with unannounced subscription features.

Hachura said:
Oh fuck off Bobby Kotick, you greedy ****. You already stooge tens of millions of sheep every year for their $60USD, the least you could do is make this bloody thing free, like Halo did with Waypoint. I get that business is about monetising things, but there is such a thing as too goddamned far.
everything they have announced so far is free. they havnt announced anything at all about the subscription, what it comes with or how much.

with everyone biased against it, i cant help but start feeling biased the other way, due to the undeserved hate that i see. from my point of view.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
MortisLegio said:
TheRealCJ said:
PettingZOOPONY said:
People keep saying they hate this idea of paying for part of a game you already own, I have to ask how many are 360 players? You pay extra to access MP anyways so why does this offend you.
"yeah, you already pay a xbox live subscription, surely paying even more for a single game is no big deal! Those silly xbox players and their apparently infinite cash reserves, always complaining about nothing!"
I smell the sarcasm through the screen?
Your senses are well-honed, my friend.

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
but it isn't part of the game you already own. you are getting what you always got with the other games. elite is something completely different, that will cover every COD game starting with black ops. plus you are not paying for it anyway, they haven't even announced whats in the subscription, only whats free.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
antman9000 said:
i see now how people would confuse elite, thinking its an upgrade to the normal game, and not the name of a standalone free product with unannounced subscription features.

Hachura said:
everything they have announced so far is free. they havnt announced anything at all about the subscription, what it comes with or how much.

with everyone biased against it, i cant help but start feeling biased the other way, due to the undeserved hate that i see. from my point of view.
You haven't been dealing with Activision very long have you? Sure its free, for now. This is exactly the sort of thing Activision has been doing for the past few years. Testing the waters of what they can get away with. Well the rest of us are drawing a line. If you want to praise them, go ahead. I don't think you'll find alot of people to agree with you here.