Activision Defends Modern Warfare 2 Pricing

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Cortheya said:
SachielOne said:
Fir- *Gunshot*

Hey, this is what capitalism is all about. Like democracy, it's a horrible system... except for all the other ones.
What's that "all the other ones" quote from? it's been killing me for weeks.
Winston Churchill.

"Democracy is the worst system of government. Except for all the others that have been tried."

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
SachielOne said:
Fir- *Gunshot*

Hey, this is what capitalism is all about. Like democracy, it's a horrible system... except for all the other ones.
It's only horrible when the people living it are ignorant.

Democracy and Capitalism could both be pretty bonerific if people weren't at large passive and ignorant.

Just my two cents :).

Tony Harrison said:
So if it makes sense to the bean counters there's no problem? Sure, if people are paying that price then it's an acceptable price to charge from the economists point of view. But that's a cold way of looking at the world.
Likewise another good Civilization IV quote is " Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it.
Publilius Syrus
(~100 BC)"

A cold view that has existed for at least two millenia ;). Nothing stopping folks from changing it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Bullshit it's ''only £5'' more. New games for 360/PS3 typically retail for £39.99 or £44.99 so Activision are overcharging by up to £15 or 37% more.

MW2 is hardly an example of an incredibly expensive title as it's only been in development for 2 years and in that time being Activision has made a bucket load on WAW in the intervening period. Now Killzone 2 is a game that justifies a high price point as it will have relatively limited sales while the development costs were HUGE, instead it went platinum (retail at half price) within 6 months.

The game costs virtually nothing to print on disk and distribute and everyone knows that this will be a huge seller. Activision increasing the cost is just blatant milking.

I'm not even going to think of buying the PC version till it has dropped in price to about £25.

I think I have more patience than Activision.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I'm still against this whole price rise thing. Personally, I'm fine with a standard pricing policy for games - it helps me calculate how much money I can spend on games with ease, and having different prices for different games would just become confusing, as I need to review each individual case upon how much money I spend on them - films rarely vary in price that much, so why should games?

The new price point may also encourage others to attempt the same, but with lower quality games. I REALLY don't want the new standard price point to be higher than it already is, and this whole shinenanigans has been one of the major reasons why I've decided to wait until the Game of the Year edition of MW2 comes out.

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
Abedeus said:
*2 weeks after the PC release*

"We are very surprised, there were hundreds of thousands of illegal copies all over the Internet, same as with Sims 3, but we didn't get much sold copies... PIRACY IS TO BLAAAMEEE!!!!"
I have seen it happen before. People charge too much for something, others refuse to pay for it.
I hope this price is for the prestige edition, not the standard.

I can't believe he said this
"The idea of "standard" game prices strikes me as rather odd"
This man fails to understand the basics of supply and demand. They aren't the only ones making games, and if people see something cheaper, they go for it until the price goes down.

Remember the N64 cartridges? How they were more expensive than Playstation games? Yeah, they were like 20 dollars more new. Wonder which console sold more units...

Osalot_TH

Sep 10, 2008
It's all about the multiplayer. This is just Activision's way of putting a price on the amount of time people will spend in the multiplayer. Although any future map packs will be free on PC but most likely cost money on all other platforms, or not and this hike is just to cover that?

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Owned by Vivendi. Not going to buy it.

Almost five years since I swore I'd never buy another vivendi published game, and its times like these I relish my choice.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
I never pay more than £25 for a game so I ain' buying it or pirating it. TF2 will do fine for me.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Alucard3Dark said:
Activision-Blizzard's CEO Robert Kotick has proven himself a money grubbing, fan-loathing douchebag (see: http://hothardware.com/News/Activision-Blizzard-CEO-Bobby-Kotick-Talks-Gaming-Hates-Happy-People/ ) and sadly, thus far his stretegy has been a winning one. This is a problem. SNIP

Keep fighting the good fight. -
Ha ha, just checked the Spore link out. 2664 one star reviews. In a twisted, mean and spiteful way...it made my day.

Also I agree with everything you said. Use your consumer vote to kick Activision where it hurts. Only way to do it. I really hope the game flops but I doubt it will.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
eff activision, they are such massive dicks Im only buying used from them anymore

LeeHarveyO

Jan 13, 2009
Wow that is total bullshit. I don't want to pay for a game that is one-third the price of my damn console.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
A pity marketing doesn't work like that.

NOTHING is "worth the price raise" or "good value".

But, seeing as MW2 has 1,547,920 Xbox 360 pre-orders and 492,172 PS3 pre-orders in NA I suppose they can get away with it.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Bad Move Ol Kotick. High Prices equals more pirates.

Onmi said:
This makes me wonder actually. How many pirates do you think exist in Australia?

It'd be funny if every other person just pirated the games down there because they didn't wanna get raped by the prices.

Either that or all of them just imported. Seriously, 110 is ridiculous! How do you go day to day without killing one of the retailers?

Horticulture

Feb 27, 2009
All we have to do to keep Activision and others from repeating this 'test' is refuse to buy it. The price would drop awfully fast if first-week sales turned out to be disappointing. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they won't be, so I guess we can look forward to more of this in the future.