Activision Exec: Call of Duty is This Generation's Star Wars

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
FUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!

EDIT: This statement reflects my opinions on the current news relating to Activision.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
How the hell do you compare a franchise that is only video games to a franchise that is movies, video games, books, board games, etcetera? That makes absolutely no sense. Maybe if they'd released some Call of Duty movies that were extremely popular, I could say, "Okay, they're kind of going in the right direction, but not there yet."

How many people do you know that go around and dress up as characters from Call of Duty? Has Call of Duty created a brand of spirituality known as the Force followed by thousands of people? No. Shut the hell up, Activision.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
I've gotta admire the cojones required to make such and announcement. That being said, this is utterly silly and ridiculous. CoD may be a popular franchise, but it's hardly done anything to change the way people look at shooting other players. Star Wars forever altered the way people look at movies, sci-fi/fantasy specifically, and revolutionized the world of special effects. CoD may have some nice graphics and whatnot, but having nicer graphics is like saying, "My racecar is red", it's purely a cosmetic detail.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
If anything is "this generation's Star Wars" it's Halo, and even that is pretty far off. No matter how popular and influential Call of Duty is it's still just a video game franchise (although it does have that one graphic novel mini-series with MW's Cpt. Price or something right?).

Activision higher-ups really like destroying their company image don't they?

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Ah... eh... ar...

Wow. Just wow.

ACTIVISION is a corporate body that has zero influence on the actual development process. Any time any similar entity attempts to influence development, infinity ward happens. Yes, your little commissioned action series set in various theaters of warfare, that drew heavily from war movies and series of every sort made a lot of money. It is not, however, unique, innovative, revolutionizing, culturally important, meaningful, or anything else someone could argue star wars was. Also, its best to keep your worthless mouth shut if the entirety of your company's possible positive contribution to development is to put up the money (that isn't even your's) and step the fuck out of the way.

CoD purest mediocrity with a ton of marketing. If infinity ward still existed and said something like this, whatever, believe in your product. Activision hasn't developed a game in decades. Before their name became associated with blizzard, I'd forgotten they'd even existed. I caught myself wondering, every so often, "what happened to them, their name used to be attached so some... well... pretty mediocre to terrible movie tie-in games."

Activision is a middle manager. It has no power, money, or influence of it's own. Its simply an intermediary body so vivendi doesn't have to hire more people to manage their various development houses. It's only function is to be the company to blame if something goes wrong. Its to the point where I can understand why Kotick is such a dick. Its hard job being positioned between between several larger and more important entities who all know how completely worthless you are.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
You arrogant dicks, COD isn't even CLOSE to Star Wars; it doesn't even deserve to be in the same room as Star Wars who also hangs with LOTR, Trekkies, Narnia, Marvel, DC, and pretty much anything nerds adore. While COD has become one of the most successful games financially, its franchise is becoming more and more hated, since each iteration is the same DAMN thing. Does COD release an entire series of books, films, comics, and terrible fan fiction? No? Oh yeah, you're just a game series. Hell Gears of War and Halo of all things have book series to their name (don't know about their quality but still). You're just a game series and one that will never escape that

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
This guy is an idiot. Star Wars was and still is a phenomenon (despite the lackluster prequels) lauded for storytelling, fantasy, and creation of an entire universe to explore the depths of which have yet to be completely plumbed. While I enjoy the Call of Duty games, their only strong point is being able to gank other people, their campaign modes are too short to be really interesting, and their stories are so generic I have trouble remembering what happened in which game. Of course, detracting from all that experience is the constant BS that happens online, the racial slurs, teabagging, and constant swearing, and you have yourself a franchise that could stay around for a while, but will never, ever be popular enough to have people even cosplay the characters, let alone create an entire convention on the scale of the annual Star Wars Celebration.

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
Aha, I get it! It started as something great, and then you drove it into the freaking ground!

It makes sense, guys!

Alex Cowan

Feb 13, 2010
This generation already had a Star Wars. It was called Episode I, and it was sh*t.

OT: In terms of statistics, it's hard to tell because I can't really compare Lucasfilm profits in 1977 to Activision's in 2010, but in terms of impact, I think the world has changed more because of Star Wars than CoD. I think CoD might have changed GCSE results more though...

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
The DSM said:
Yes.

A series ruined by too many sequels in a vain attempt at making ungodly amounts of money.
I am no star wars fan... but I seriously hope this is sarcasm lost in translation into text, because I don't think I have ever heard a better definition of the call of duty franchise. Seriously... a seven year old franchise has its 8th installment in production, and that doesnt even account for things like DLCs and expansions. especially seeing that the core gameplay elements while more dynamic, is essentially the same as they were from the first installment.

Dont get me wrong, Im not really disrespecting or praising either franchise, and im not trying to attack the statement itself. It really seems like an attempt to be humorous. I guess you can argue that call of duty as a franchise has yet to be fully ruined, but it would be naive to think that there isnt a majorly diminishing level of return from each new installment when the biggest thing you get with each new installment (obviously not the only) is new maps at 50+$ a pop. Seriously Im starting to feel that the CoD franchise is approaching madden-esque status, where eventually you will see 1-2 year old incarnations of the games sold used at places like gamestop for .99¢

To each their own. And I seriously apologize if I have misinterpreted.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ha ha ha ha ha ha ...ha ha ha ......ha ha.. haa......no

I've enjoyed CoD and both MW games but...
heck, Halo has had a greater impact and influence on the console/genre/games industry than CoD
(hate it or not, there's a significance)

and for the record, Black Ops is looking fun, but really? another CoD is another CoD

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
I'm pleasantly surprised. When I saw the headline all I could think was "*sigh* What now Bobby?"

On topic though, it's not Star Wars for this generation, there is not Star Wars for this generation yet. Besides, what was Star Wars for the last generation, you know, for those who are in their 20's now and only could see Star Wars on the big screen when it was re-released in the mid/late 90's?

You know what Call of Duty is? It's the Madden or FPS's. Pumped out just fast enough to take a persons cash, and being sequeled into a running gag.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Star Wars created it's own universe. Call of Duty loosely based its on modern history. Star Wars had an ongoing epic war plot. Call of Duty has...well, a one-sided war plot that's far from epic. If you take the Star Wars out of Star Wars and keep the pieces, it will still be recognisable as Star Wars. If you do that to Call of Duty, it will be recognised as a generic war shooter.

This generation's Star Wars? Please...Halo and Mass Effect are closer, but still far from the point of almost universally known (or even memorised) plot twists and quotables.

Maybe call Call of Duty could pass as the new Quake, that might fly, but it's still a bad idea to proclaim the greatness of thyself before the masses.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
No... no, no, no... tsk, tsk, tsk... shame on you Activision...
Even I know Star Wars is really big and simply can't be compared to anything (well, maybe the Lord of The Rings movies, but that's my opinion).

I officially hate MW2.

I just didn't have any good reasons to like MW2. Hell, I even bought the COD Collection in the Steam summer sale and I like them a lot, they were good games, even great games, but then they got VERY cocky and greedy and now I don't have any single interest on any new COD that's made after MW2.

The game is obscenely expensive, the DLC is even worse, they are expensive and adds little to nothing to the game itself, crappy support for the PC, a 3 hour campaaign, broken multiplayer and a company that's getting greedier every passing day.

I miss the times where I respected Activision, loved Ubisoft and hated EA... Now it's completely changed. I hate Activision, I hate Ubi and I cautiously respect EA.