Activision: Indie Dev Contest Entrants Can Keep Their IPs

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
I still don't understand how a company can own something they didn't make or contribute to. It's just like how universities own whatever you publish while attending their institution.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Activision has shown in the past it is willing to renege on deals and send packs of lawyers (and their paperwork) after their former business partners. Could you imagine a Indy developer having the resources to challenge Activision in a court of law that wouldn't tie them up for years and bankrupt them in the process? The wording does seem to leave Activision all kinds of outs to abuse the contest entrants with, IMHO.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Who do you trust more: Activision or Wolfire? I'm gonna be more inclined to believe Wolfire, to be honest.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
shaboinkin said:
I still don't understand how a company can own something they didn't make or contribute to. It's just like how universities own whatever you publish while attending their institution.
Because IP laws in today's world reward publishing moreso than the actual creation. Money = power and publishers have it while creators need to latch onto publishers to get it, or need to get into publishing themselves to earn it (much harder).

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Loonerinoes said:
shaboinkin said:
Because IP laws in today's world reward publishing moreso than the actual creation. Money = power and publishers have it while creators need to latch onto publishers to get it, or need to get into publishing themselves to earn it (much harder).
So making money is more important than the money maker?