Activision reduces amount of rythm games this year

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6250194.html

I know a lot of people are ready to just the rhythm genre die, and surprisingly, Activision seems to agree to an extent. Activision released a total of 7 freakin' games in the genre last year. An absolutely absurd amount, imo. The 35% drop in sales last year has taught them a lesson. All we're getting from them this year is DJ Hero 2 and a new Guitar Hero, both of which won't be released until later in the year. They say they also want to try to appeal to a broader audience. Considering the last few GH games have been either riddled with pop music or band-specific stuff, I'm hoping that means a better track listing. If not, well, I am still enjoying Rock Band.

What are your reactions to this, if you even care?

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
Well, that just means they're gonna stop milking the rhythm genre and milk something else.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
I want to play dj hero, but I dont want to buy that thing you need

so I wont be playing dj hero lol

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Well, at least I'll have my current Guitar hero games, Stepmania, and the DJ Technika Mix and DDR machines in the local arcades. And I'm looking into Audiosurf.

Rhythm will never die!

akapellah21

Jul 8, 2009
didn't activision buy out the competition of DJ Hero, just to let go of everyone.
Good ol' heartbreakers

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I don't think the genre is dead, or will die anytime soon, not unless the publishers keep over saturating the market like they've been doing, that will kill the genre for sure. I'm not a huge fan of rhythm games, I've got two guitar hero games and one controller, I play it every now and then and generally enjoy it, but the amount of games they pumped out last year was ludicrous.

The best way they could do it would be to limit the number of games that come out and relay on micro-transactions (e.g DLC trackpacks) for a steady stream of income, only releasing a new version of the game every two years or so when it's an actual upgrade, not just more of the same, and frankly the trackpacks work out better for the customer anyway, half the songs in World Tour were stuff I'd never listen too, stuff I'd never heard of, or just plain horrible, track packs let me choose what I like and am interested in.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
They should really reduce that number to ZERO
IMO Rockband 2 is still the king of rhythm games... well actually DDR is still the king of rhythm games, but as far as BAND games go - Rockband 2 all the way.

Perhaps Kotick will finally fucking realize that annualizing a product and completely spamming the market with a bunch of shit doesn't actually WORK because no one wants to move on. No one cares to "upgrade" this shit and we've had enough.

NeutralDrow said:
Well, at least I'll have my current Guitar hero games, Stepmania, and the DJ Technika Mix and DDR machines in the local arcades. And I'm looking into Audiosurf.

Rhythm will never die!
Audiosurf is some of the finest $10 you will spend on steam.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I really don't care. The only way I'll get into it is with a system of a down guitar hero. Audiosurf was very good fun though.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
I still have Rock Band, so I really don't care. Guitar Hero's glory days are long gone, but at least Activision have smartened up somewhat.

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
Dark Knifer said:
I really don't care. The only way I'll get into it is with a system of a down guitar hero. Audiosurf was very good fun though.
OH MY GOD someone else wants this.

Quickly! Begin drafting the email to Activision!

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I reckon the GH one will be Queen exclusive. I don't know why, but seeing as they did The Beatles, the only other band that has the same solid popularity by both fans of rock and pop would be them.

And if it's going to be just the one game, they'll want it to sell by the bucket load. And I'm sure the surviving members of need the money. It was a whole couple of months ago they released another greatest hits/ best of compilation. The money well must be drying up.

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
Seven games in a year? Christ, that's almost as bad as Konami with the Bemani home games in the early 00s.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Yeah, Rock Band & Harmonix got it right: Just make one game and then sell the additional tracks via the online store. No reason to keep pumping out new versions every three months. Rock Band 2 is almost two years old now and still going strong due to regular DLC every Tuesday. Guitar Hero tracks only seem to come out when they feel like it.

I really can't stand Activision any more, I can't remember the last time I bought a game that they made. They're adept at taking a good franchise and running it into the ground a la Tony Hawk...

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
I see Activision finally noticed the reality bat that's been savagely beating them about the head and shoulders. I mean, not only have their sales sucked, but they've used up damn near every worthwhile rock song known to man. Unless they're going to branch into country or old fashioned Irish jigs, I think that field's pretty salted.

Also, OP: your avatar freaks me the hell out.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Someone showed Bobby the sales numbers from last year's crop, and whatever else you might say about Kotick, he does know a trend line when he sees one.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
Rhythm will never die!
Theres actually a movement to genetically alter babies to be tone-def so that rhythm does die. o_O

google it if you dont believe me.

As for rhythm games dieing, its about time... just started to get ridiculous. I bought the original rockband and the pixies album dlc and that was enough for me.